1930 Nash 480 top speed?

Sustained speed will tear it apart. Nice car, but think 35-40 as a safe sweet spot. Any more and you can scatter it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

Not arguing, but how come a '28 Ford can run those speeds all day and the Nash can not?

A stock one?  I didn't know it could.  

Typically all stock cars except for the high end stuff of that era were not designed to go very fast for very long until much later.    

Even my 49 Plymouth labored at 60mph and was a lot happier at 50.

• Thanks 1

Making a Nash go fast is not a good idea. Chassis, steering, and brakes are all very light. If you want to drive 55, buy a car that’s comfortable doing it stock. The reason the small cars are not expensive is they aren’t reliable at today’s modern speeds......no fault of the car.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 5:24 PM, edinmass said:

Making a Nash go fast is not a good idea. Chassis, steering, and brakes are all very light. If you want to drive 55, buy a car that’s comfortable doing it stock. The reason the small cars are not expensive is they aren’t reliable at today’s modern speeds......no fault of the car.

I agree with that but it is the things you note that may cause concern. My model A is stock, albeit with 4 wheel mechanical brakes, but I lived in Los Angeles in the '60s-'70s and used the freeway all the time. My car was my first so maybe I didn't know any better, but I did it and the car always obliged. Drove it to Vegas and Arizona and never had troubles or overheating. I still own and drive this car anywhere I choose to go. I think It is in the manner of operation that is most important. I own a much older Nash 4 cyl. and wouldn't push it more than maybe 45 mph but he was asking about a 1930 Nash.

DSC02710.JPG

Edited by JFranklin
add thought (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1