1963 Buick Special Station wagon

roadmaster29

My 1963 wagon was featured in the Bugle this spring thanks to Pete Phillips. We all owe Pete a big thank you for the work he does for the club. I mentioned I was looking for a set of rare 15" wheels for it to help the road speed and sure enough Pete had a set. I finally got to Texas and picked them up and this past week have been working on them to get them painted. I brought my dog dish hub caps home last night and cleaned them up as much as I could for a set of 58 year old hub caps. They look pretty good but I am wondering if from the factory the had black lines and lettering on them or were that as is. If anyone can answer this it would be appreciated. I don't think I'll tackle painting that if it's supposed to be black but will look for someone to do it for me. 42 years driving truck and my hands aren't as steady as they used to be. 20210809_033136.jpg.1499cce88cf8053e8ac6f625f1def31e.jpg20210727_104831.jpg.f1a45c60713ac208b55ea3a121964a63.jpg

• Like 2

I suspect they had some satin black paint in the indentions.  Usually, that type of painting was not the best in the world, by observation, as it was done quickly with a spray gun, as the parts moved by on a conveyor belt.  Probably some sort of stencil/template was laid on the cap before the painting?

NIce to see one of those wagons on the road again!

NTX5467

• 4 weeks later...

Now I need a starter for the wagon. I am having trouble finding one. It has the 2 vertical mounting bolts and the only one I can find is the one with horizontal bolts. I have tried NAPA which shows a picture of it on there website but has no availability and O'Reilly and another local store list them for over $200 but it's a special request and even then they don't know if they are available. Any ideas will be helpful. 

On 8/9/2021 at 5:06 AM, roadmaster29 said:

20210727_104831.jpg.f1a45c60713ac208b55ea3a121964a63.jpg

¡Lo me gusta ese camioneta!😻

Factory used a brass template to spray colors on wheelcovers and hubcaps. 

I don't think Buick ever color matched wheel treatments to the car color as Olds and Cadillac did, but a brass wheelcover stencil mask was one of the Olds "dealer essential service tools" from 1958-1963. If a deluxe wheelcover had to be replaced, it came naked and the brass mask was used to match the color to the car.

I know of one 1963 mask that made the rounds of the 63 Starfire community in the 90s. Went all over the USA and Canada and was always returned to its owner cleaned and ready for the next borrower.

• Like 1

Take the starter to a local rebuilder. The quality of over-the-counter rebuilt parts is generally crap. It was so bad in the late 90s only every third one would even work. The Chinese "all new" parts that have cropped up in the years since seem to be better, but still not even close to the quality of a properly serviced original part. In any event, a Chinese one probably doesn't exist for an obscure application like that.

Shops that rebuild starters, alternators, and generators usually have "auto electric" in the name. You can probably find one under Auto Electric in the yellow pages if you still have those or the Internet if you don't. It is amazing how much better the quality is when you are handing the starter over the counter to the guy who is going to rebuild it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What's wrong with it? Just dragging (slow)? New brushes and bushings fixes  a lot of ills. If starter drive, does anyone list one for that engine? Or has it developed the click click of GM fame? That's just the solenoid. As above advice, try to find an old shop with real rebuilt Delco solenoids for sale. How do they rebuild them? By turning the terminal(s) 180 degrees so the moving washer contacts fresh material. You can do that yourself also. The newer Chinese solenoids have issues, usually just the big spring is too light.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...