Trouble Light Made in Providence RI ...Looking for additional information

Kenneth Carr

My friend Len is a collector of radios and radio-related items (tubes, capacitors, etc.) made in Rhode Island. He has found that the manufacturers often may produce a variety of items, radio-related and otherwise. One company that he suspects may have had a hand in radio or vacuum tube production has stumped him. He has found only one artifact and it is an automotive accessory. Len would like to know if anyone has additional information about the manufacturer or other items they produced. I have placed below a copy of his notice and a photo of the Trouble Light that he found. If anyone has additional information about this device or the company that made it, please post responses here. Thank you!

---------------------------------------------

I literally have not found anything on this company, only an artifact. The Eight in One Light Company, Providence. The artifact itself is a utility light for use in your car. The container says it can be used as a Emergency Head Light, Stop Light, Emergency Tail Light, Garage Light, Camping Light, Trouble Light, Courtesy Light and Parking Light. The company was in Providence but no address is listed on the container. It is a 6V light. That makes it pre 1955 since in 1955, 12-volt electrical systems became an automotive industry standard.

Eight In One Utility Light.jpg

Edited by Roadmaster71 (see edit history)

When I bought our 1935 Buick, it had a trouble light mounted under the hood in a bracket on the fire wall.   Looked like a small sealed beam light with a cord like in your picture.   I don't know if it's still in the barn or possibly sold in a Flea Market, like Zephryhills.  

Eight In One Utility Light, 8 In 1 Co., with container. The container is heavy cardboard with a screw tin top and a tin bottom stamped Middlesex Paper Tube Co., Lowell, Mass. This emergency utility light was manufactured by the 8 in 1 Light Company, Providence R.I. 1910-1920 for cars like the Model T and Model A. The bulb is encased in a metal frame exposing the clear light on one side and the other side is enclosed by a RED glass cover making the bulb shine red. There are two 9 1/2 foot wires with alligator clips on the ends to connect to the battery for its power source. Light uses a standard auto bulb. The condition of the light is very good, it has some minor rust on it. The 2 wires are the old school clothe covered wire, there is no wear or dirt on the wires at all like it wasn't used. Light is 4 inches high, and 2 inches wide.

Found on internet, maybe this will help. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)