My next car book to read

Billy Kingsley

That is actually one of my favorite books for a general look at early automobiles. Not a high quality print, or cover, and inside is mostly reprints of original era articles and advertisements. But that is why I like it so well. My copy was given to me about twenty years ago by a co-worker that knew my interest, and found it at a yard sale. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

A lot of the older books are really wonderful, and some can be had for very few dollars. Anything by Ralph Stein or Floyd Clymer is usually good. The only problem in some of them is that when they were being written a half century or more ago, almost everything was being written from memory, and sometimes memory is not accurate. Some of their mistakes have become accepted for decades as fact, and the errors in old books remain no matter how much proof has since been found for the what and when that really happened.

As long as one knows and accepts that there may be some errors? Most of the information is good, and many of the illustrations in some of those older books are very nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

The only problem in some of them is that when they were being written a half century or more ago, almost everything was being written from memory, and sometimes memory is not accurate. Some of their mistakes have become accepted for decades as fact, and the errors in old books remain no matter how much proof has since been found for the what and when that really happened.

In addition to the above, much more information has surfaced in the past 50 years, especially with the collapse of the Iron Curtain, and the proliferation of the internet.  Some cars thought to be lost forever have surfaced since that time, as well as engineering drawings and other important documents being found.

Craig

• Like 2

I like a lot of books but lately I have been collecting hot rod themed books written for young men between 1955 or so to about 1965.  More or less just because they are cool, but I read them also for fun.  I have read a lot of tecnical and historic books over the years.  This pic in my home office, more downstairs!

20210726_133353.jpg

• Like 2

Just finished reading "Wheels for the World" by Douglas Brinkley.  A long, but very interesting history of Ford Motor.  I've never owned a Ford product, and don't plan to, but the history of the company and the people involved is very interesting.  I enjoy reading about automotive history.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I picked this up at an antique store in 2019 and finally getting ready to start reading it. IMG_20210806_034238016.jpg.435f03e654de8e9c32c5496e760f2c48.jpg

What car books are you reading, or getting ready to read? 

I had this book when I was an early teen.  Maybe the root of my car habit some 50 years on.  If you are in to heavier fare, my all-time favorite car-related book is “Life of an American Workman” by Walter Percy Chrysler.

Edited by Akstraw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I recently finished reading a 6 book series by Burt Levy. It has so many great parts that let you know it is still fiction, but the real names and cars can be figured out. It is a fun and funny read !  1st book in the series is the Last Open Road.  Great stuff !

I have hundreds of magazines and a lot of hardbacks that I cherish, with some of the magazines dating from the late 40s.  Nothing like a good "book" you can hold and reference, and the photos are priceless to me.

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, John348 said:

I had read the book FIns, a biography on Harley Earl, it was fascinating! I loaned it out If I can track it down I will get it to you, GREAT BOOK

Interesting book but with many factual errors mostly about GM "inventing" something that others had already done.

On 8/6/2021 at 4:14 AM, wayne sheldon said:

That is actually one of my favorite books for a general look at early automobiles. Not a high quality print, or cover, and inside is mostly reprints of original era articles and advertisements. But that is why I like it so well. My copy was given to me about twenty years ago by a co-worker that knew my interest, and found it at a yard sale. 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

A lot of the older books are really wonderful, and some can be had for very few dollars. Anything by Ralph Stein or Floyd Clymer is usually good. The only problem in some of them is that when they were being written a half century or more ago, almost everything was being written from memory, and sometimes memory is not accurate. Some of their mistakes have become accepted for decades as fact, and the errors in old books remain no matter how much proof has since been found for the what and when that really happened.

As long as one knows and accepts that there may be some errors? Most of the information is good, and many of the illustrations in some of those older books are very nice.

I find it interesting how different authors/writers  see things. Two or three may have been at the same "party" and saw things differently.  THEN when we read them, we may have different takes.  I LOVE books.

Ben

• Like 2