My "new" 1930 Pierce Arrow

Joe Cocuzza

Just picked up this 1930 Pierce Model B Touring about a week ago. I am new to PA’s (and a car as old as this) but I have been contacted by several PAS members (which I have already joined) who are ready,willing and able to offer me any assistance/advice that I may need. I wish to thank you all in advance (Ed M.)

When it hit the internet about a week or so ago it certainly stirred up a lot of interest.

I look forward to owning this car

DSCF5299.JPG

DSCF5300.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

5 passenger Phaeton is a great body style!   Folding windshield is a nice feature.

Btw,  be happy I'm 5 hours from Scranton and don't keep a bag of cash under my bed.

I'm happy about that bag of cash thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Cocuzza said:

You guys are too much.....

BTW 

What size tires should be put on the car?

They are 18's.

Would it be 700X18?

My Reo Royale needs the same tires.   I've actually gone through 3 different sizes and brands and have not 100% settled but I think this is the probably the best one:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/700-18-firestone-blackwall-tire.html

Btw,  we have a couple of threads on this but the tubes are almost impossible to get.   It took me 6 months to get 19/20" tubes and I ended up going to Europe.

I think Ed mentioned that the 17/18" tubes are now unavailable.   I need to order a set of those too.

Dave.......the larger series 1930 and 1931 cars used 18 inch wheels. 1930 cars used five lug hubs, and 1931 used six lug hubs. The style of wheels was rather large and sometimes confusing. Unfortunately, 18 inch tires always seem to be the most expensive as they were only used commonly in 1932 with just a few exceptions. Lately I have only been using Firestones. 

Hold off on tires till we talk, as sometimes you need a different size tire in the side mount.

Joe, before you buy any tires, we need to give you the white wall talk........so here is a request.......

Ok boys......tell Joe why he wants black walls on the car,  and why he shouldn’t consider white walls! 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I wanted to go blackwalls on my car, but was outvoted one to one by spouse.

This is a nice car, and well bought, but it’s still going to be a labor of love.  The purchase price was a down payment, and there are many other car payments to come.  Six tires is just the first payment.

Will be a super car when recommissioned!

Go with blackwalls, they make the car stand out and, in my case, you won’t get fussed at for not cleaning the whitewalls (at meets and shows).

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

My Reo Royale needs the same tires.   I've actually gone through 3 different sizes and brands and have not 100% settled but I think this is the probably the best one:

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/700-18-firestone-blackwall-tire.html

Btw,  we have a couple of threads on this but the tubes are almost impossible to get.   It took me 6 months to get 19/20" tubes and I ended up going to Europe.

I think Ed mentioned that the 17/18" tubes are now unavailable.   I need to order a set of those too.

Next question:

Where would I take them to get mounted on the rims?

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Dave.......the larger series 1930 and 1931 cars used 18 inch wheels. 1930 cars used five lug hubs, and 1931 used six lug hubs. The style of wheels was rather large and sometimes confusing. Unfortunately, 18 inch tires always seem to be the most expensive as they were only used commonly in 1932 with just a few exceptions. Lately I have only been using Firestones. 

Hold off on tires till we talk, as sometimes you need a different size tire in the side mount.

Joe, before you buy any tires, we need to give you the white wall talk........so here is a request.......

Ok boys......tell Joe why he wants black walls on the car,  and why he shouldn’t consider white walls! 

Joe, my 1930 Model B roadster was done when I bought it 19 years ago (see photo from its 3rd in a weak class at Pebble in 2010) and still wears the "Bedford Famous Coach" (available from Lucas in Long Beach, CA) 700 x 18 blackwall tires, which I love so much I put WSW 17" versions on my 1934 production Silver Arrow coupe.  The Bedfords are substantially larger in diameter and cross section than the same nominal size in 1930--to the point that there are 650 x 18s in the fenderwells (put covers over them!).  My car has demountable WHEELS (an option along with wires) and yours has demountable RIMS (standard).  The chromed lock rings (you don't have) provide just enough eye; perhaps walt or Ed can advise you.  I knew this car when it wore an early 1980s refurbishment and looked like a large bumblebee float in a circus parade: yellow, black fenders, black top and leather, natural wood spoke wheels and WSW.  The subsequent owner, from whose estate I acquired it, told me that he wanted it to look as it would have been ordered by a traditional, conservative, old-money Pierce-Arrow client.  It wears two shades of maroon, the fenders and moulding trim that he called "Damsom" as in the variety of plum.  Be sure to get right-angle stems on the tubes.

Methinks you'll have to throw a party of knowledgeable old car folks to replace those tires yourselves with an array of tire spoons, tire talc, and tire lube.

DSCN0720.JPG

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, edinmass said:

We are going to have a ball spending Joe’s money! 😝

Not that much of a ball, Ed.

I don't think I have enough money for you guys to get to that stage.

Maybe enough "to have a little fun".....

My advice, spend your money getting it roadworthy and safe to drive, don’t bother with cosmetics other than a good cleaning.   

I just looked at a Packard phaeton, beautiful older restoration, owner wants to “freshen it up” with new paint, upholstery, top.  He’ll end up with a slightly prettier car that’s the same fun to drive as it is right now, after spending 100k…

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Free advice. It needs tires and tubes, no questions asked. After that most can be done in small steps.

Ed,

Thanks for the "free" advice. Let me know when you start charging.........

I agree. The tires are from 1967. I found an old receipt.

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

My advice, spend your money getting it roadworthy and safe to drive, don’t bother with cosmetics other than a good cleaning.   

I just looked at a Packard phaeton, beautiful older restoration, owner wants to “freshen it up” with new paint, upholstery, top.  He’ll end up with a slightly prettier car that’s the same fun to drive as it is right now, after spending 100k…

Yep!!!! That is my plan exactly.

ok.......I will play.

Just do exactly what I tell you, and your car will turn out perfect.

With each piece of advice, ask yourself this question........does this guy have over 50 thousand miles on pre war cars, and has he driven his cars five thousand miles in the last few years. Listen to the drivers......not the internet experts.

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

does this guy have over 50 thousand miles on pre war cars, and has he driven his cars five thousand miles in the last few years.

I qualify!  Heck, I've put more than 5,000 miles on my 1918 Pierce in the last five years.  Does it count if some those miles themselves occurred pre-war?  (just kidding, I'm not *quite* as old as Eddie makes me out to be)

30 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

"Ok boys......tell Joe why he wants black walls on the car,  and why he shouldn’t consider white walls! "

Anybody?????

You should also ask yourself  “is this guy better looking than Ed?”.

You can put white walls on but they will not look good. Whitewalls were in style from 1965-1985. Not when the car was new.

And not now.

If Joe wants his car to look great he will take photos of it with me standing next to it. If he wanted it to look terrible, AJ can stand next to it. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

You can put white walls on but they will not look good. Whitewalls were in style from 1965-1985. Not when the car was new.

Except at the Auburn plant circa 1931 or so.  Seems they must have got a hell of a deal on them as there is a photo of cars waiting to be shipped and I think 75% of them have whitewalls on them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

If Joe wants his car to look great he will take photos of it with me standing next to it. If he wanted it to look terrible, AJ can stand next to it. 

OUCH !!!!!!!!

And that is why I will NOT have a picture taken of any car with me in the shot !!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

But isn’t it a contrast, so that something looks more beautiful with something ugly by it?

8 minutes ago, trimacar said:

But isn’t it a contrast, so that something looks more beautiful with something ugly by it?

Mr C. you are starting trouble.............clearly a violation of the rules, thus you are receiving fifty warning points!

Well, if all goes according to plan I will be bringing the Pierce Arrow home tomorrow morning. (That's why I haven't given any updates)

Had to wait to get it because I needed to make room for it.

NOW THE "FUN" BEGINS".............

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 95Cardinal said:

Joe, that is a great looking car! Congratulations!

I don't think it needs any decorative additions: I would put blackwalls on that car.

Blackwalls it will be.....

Did a little shining - too hot to continue.

DSCF5429.JPG

DSCF5430.JPG

DSCF5425.JPG

DSCF5426.JPG

DSCF5423.JPG

DSCF5424.JPG

DSCF5419.JPG

DSCF5420.JPG

• Like 2