Highlights from the 54th Belltown Meet, CT

Some pics from yesterday's show, a great day, we even beat the rain and got the topless A back inside abput 30 minutes before it hit... 😁👍

1932 (Unrestored!!)Packard & 1910 Mitchell (have never seen one of these, it was huge!)

Followed by Packard Rollston body & a bunch o' open As including ours.

20210801_093228.jpg

20210801_103743.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Wish I'd known the show was on, used to go back in the 1970's, it had a great swap meet too back then. Bob 

Someone mentioned you last week suggesting you might be interested, but you must have missed it.  You can't "tag" people here to draw attention to a post, or at least I don't know how to do it.  Next year!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Spelling (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I must have missed Macungie, Pa. as well, they were back to back in the old days. Bob 

If by Macungie you are referring to Das Awkscht Fescht that event is this coming weekend August 6-8.

Das Awkscht Fescht

• Like 1

Another shot of open 30, 31s and this guy, while he may not be stock, what a period perfect Ford, at Belltown they stick hot rods in a field across from the main show, even thpugh I know the car, this one was worth the walk! 😉

20210801_093458.jpg

20210801_104508.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone else wonder why when there is plenty of room to space the cars out so they can be viewed and photographed from all angles that they always end up parked in rows?  I suppose we're all trained by our parking lot experiences.

• Like 2

Steve, admittedly attendance was off a bit this year, but still fairly strong.  Belltown puts brass, nickel, Model As, and Full Classics in one field that has overflowed in some years, and everything else, 30s through 80s in another field, by classes.  But yes, if the number next year looks like this year, spacing them out would make a lot of sense.  I love being early enough to grab better shots as cars fill in.

The swap this year was off as well, no shortage of model cars and car cleaner, tool guys.  But only about a dozen, maybe fifteen guys w good parts or real gas & oil stuff.  We bought a tag topper & a hot rod novel type book geared towards teenagers published in 62, I collect those and try to buy everyone I can.

I did have higher expectations for the swap to be honest, as I figured a lot of folks would be rearin' to go after this year...

Wish I could have attended..I have only missed a handfull of B.T shows in 46 years..

I have always enjoyed the meet and members ,having brought cars,vended and helped with Judging in the 70',80's and early 90's as part of a mutual courtesy of another club I was a member of.

Unfortunately in the past several plus years of attending ,I end up leaving distressed and depressed by the fact this an other well established meets in Connecticut, that once thrived with several hundred cars or more with great flea markets and very large spectator attendance are now just a mere fraction of their former glory.

I'll be making the old Goshen meet and may vend on a smaller scale on the 22nd..

The Roaring 20's meet, at their 2nd location after leaving Southbury is also the 22nd and have no interest .

I supported the move to Bethlehem  by vending the first and second show there and attended once at Southington .

But they have lost their MOJO..(I'm hard to please)which is not that unexpected as the hobby ,the people involved and times have changed dramtically since their inception.

There might not be any formula to ever resurect these old or new meets to 

to the grander scale they once were at.

But I'll keep going to meets(mostly ones with flea markets),if only out of my own nostagial , a pleasent ride and to enjoy the smell of blow-by and musty upholstery ,from some out dated mode of transportaion that is still lingering ,keeping up the fight to survive ,despite the odds...Like some car shows!.

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

So true Flivver!  Belltown was so good over the years they survived the two moves, plus current location is ideal.  The last minute, poorly publicized cancellation of Southbury/Roaring 20s & subsequent moves in a short time span killed that show, formerly a Hershey warm up... Glastonbury fell off as well, mainly due to a decent size club with only a few "doers", I am one less, but it was really that the guy who used to carry the show finally got fed up...

But yes, the alternative, stay home, nah, see you in Belltown in 22 sir. 😊 

Other good stuff in CT still!  Klingberg, Brooklyn, Goshen, Dragone's doing a fall event, others I am sure.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I had a perfect record at Ridgefield 1961-1995, when it moved and later died that was a the beginning of the end of other long established meets. I went to the Dragone meet a few months ago, fantastic! That was a total time warp, just like a swap meet from 50 years ago, they will need more space for vendors and cars. Bob 

• Like 2

Steve,

If you have the space, consider chalking off some broadly S-curving lines as guides and recommend to the drivers they leave a good six-seven feet between cars to give the show more the look and feel of a concours.  Sorting the participation by types i.e. brass, '20's production, Full Classics etc., does make for a more enjoyable show as well.  Some of us obsessed types like to do our 'compare and contrast' with the subjects in near proximity to one another.  

Steve   

• Like 1