LaSalle Tail light assembly 1939 1940 ?

Douglas Gilmore Brown

I just found a pair of these at a Maine country acution. I suspect they are 1939 and 1940 LaSalle, and possibly some models of Cadillac of those years.

Their part numbers are 923230RH, and 923229 LH. I am showing the Right hand one in the pictures.

Are they for LaSalle? If so, would they be for a sedan or a coupe; or would they fit BOTH sedans and coupes ?

IMG_4281 (2) LaSalle  right.JPG

IMG_4282 (2).JPG

IMG_4284 (2).JPG

Those tail lights are for 1939 Cadillac series 61, 1939 Lasalle, and 1940 Lasalle series 50. They mount on the body and are the same for all body styles. It looks like the red lenses are missing, but FWIW, the lenses for the 1939 cars have one bullseye and the lenses for the 1940 Lasalle has two bullseyes because there is two bulbs in the socket that year. 1940 was the first year for turn signals. Even though they have a difference, the lenses will interchange. 

There is a very small chance those tail lights are from a commercial chassis 39-61, 39-50, 40-50. The appearance of the tail lights are the same but on a CC, the lights mount on the fender therefore the contour is different on the mounting surface. They look the same but it is a different casting and a different part number. The reason I bring this up is I could not find those exact part numbers in my 1935 - 1949 Cadillac parts book. I suggest you post on the Cadillac and Lasalle Club forum so someone with an earlier parts book may verify the numbers.

My 1940 Lasalle is a commercial chassis. That is how I know the difference. 

Hello, Tom,

Thanks for your detailed response to my question. These tail lights came with 1  1/2 lenses, and 1 socket. The lenses have a single bullseye, and the socket is also a single one; hence, they are 1939. 

I asked the auctioneer if he knew where these came from; it would be nice to find a 1939 LaSalle out in the woods. Quite a few Caddys and LaSalles were saved back in the 1950's by hot rodders of the time, because of their transmissions.

I'd love to see a  picture of your 1940 LaSalle commercial chassis; I have always thought that the 1940 LaSalle was one of the best looking cars of the 1940's.

Edited by Douglas Gilmore Brown
fix spelling error (see edit history)

Hello DGB, There are pictures of my car on this forum in the National Woodie Club section, which is close to the bottom of the forum home page. Look for "1940 Lasalle woodie". The original glass lenses are hard to find. They have been reproduced in plastic by McVey's Cadillac. www.mcveys.com.