1965 Riviera Mecum Auction $132K

TKRIV

It was a '65 Gran Sport. Paint code T, metallic Champagne Mist color. California car, includes original black plates. Frame-off restoration ~5 years ago. Numbers matching.

Link to lots of pictures in the original Mecum listing: 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FA0721-480256/1965-buick-riviera-gs/

The cowl vent grills are not painted body color as they should be. This makes me question what other details were overlooked in the restoration by someone that is not really knowledgable about the 1st Gen. Rivieras.

IMG_4545.jpeg

IMG_4547.jpeg

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The stant radiator cap is always a nice finishing touch LOL

PS Just got "Bonus points" for "reacting well'' from the web site by giving Jim a thumbs up for providing the picture. where do i click on the orwellian thumbs down? L

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gungeey said:

The stant radiator cap is always a nice finishing touch LOL

PS Just got "Bonus points" for "reacting well'' from the web site by giving Jim a thumbs up for providing the picture. where do i click on the orwellian thumbs down? L

Hey, now! Wait a minute! I have a Stant radiator cap on my car! And I would sell the car to anyone that walked in with 130k$ cash! 😆

These new badges annoy me. 😞   But it is nice that you can now list other clubs in your profile. 🙂  We can probably game the system by giving a thumbs-up to every post.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

The cowl vent grills are not painted body color as they should be. This makes me question what other details were overlooked in the restoration by someone that is not really knowledgable about the 1st Gen. Rivieras.

I looked the car up earlier today and the unpainted grilles popped right out at me, same question. I kind of take that as a given on most of them. My thing , being in the HVAC field, hasn't anyone hear of a fin comb? There are a couple different types.

Image 01 - Universal Refrigeration HVAC Fin Comb Straightening Cleaning Brush Rake

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just be easy with these. They can do more harm than good if not used correctly. If the fins are completely laid over, you need to use a small tool to get these sort of standing up straight, then use the fin comb to finish. You can rip the fin if you try to force the comb through. 
And I agree with Bernie and often wonder the same thing. My dad thought me to use these when I was a kid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It s amazing  with  many restorations ,that it is  just about always the finer details that are not correct ,

especially  engine compartment, with  so much money paid for a classic,  when  with only about $500

to $1000 spent getting  the simple items, done correctly,. it would be worth the extra effort in the end result.

I could list many---  incorrect---  features and items with this lovely  65, but i wont.

A very nice example, and i hope the new owner really enjoys his purchase, and its about time Our Buicks

reached higher and better  prices.--thanks Tom K  for  showing this.

I'll list them for you......background in wheels is wrong color, pinstripe on door panel wood is way to wide,wrong radiator cap,

windshield washer bottle  horribly yellow, A/C compressor has incorrect decals on it, A/C condenser fins bent every which way, wrong

appearing battery, wrong exhaust system, wrong color on engine, totally incorrect trunk matting, no jack instruction sticker on inside of deck lid. carpet wrong shade of tan, car sitting way too high front and back, wrong lug nuts on the wheels, cowl vents unpainted, wrong

color on brake booster and master cylinder, radiator fan shroud decal missing as is battery post decal on the top of the radiator, incorrect color on headliner. Why go to all that trouble and not do it right on a Gran Sport model?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

I'll list them for you......background in wheels is wrong color, pinstripe on door panel wood is way to wide,wrong radiator cap,

windshield washer bottle  horribly yellow, A/C compressor has incorrect decals on it, A/C condenser fins bent every which way, wrong

appearing battery, wrong exhaust system, wrong color on engine, totally incorrect trunk matting, no jack instruction sticker on inside of deck lid. carpet wrong shade of tan, car sitting way too high front and back, wrong lug nuts on the wheels, cowl vents unpainted, wrong

color on brake booster and master cylinder, radiator fan shroud decal missing as is battery post decal on the top of the radiator, incorrect color on headliner. Why go to all that trouble and not do it right on a Gran Sport model?

Hi Winston,

Aside from leaking and lacking symmetry what`s not "correct" about the exhaust?

Tom

10 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Why go to all that trouble and not do it right on a Gran Sport model?

How many restoration shops would do it right for a 1965 GS? Is it two, five, ten?

6 minutes ago, J3Studio said:

How many restoration shops would do it right for a 1965 GS? Is it two, five, ten?

2 out of 10?  They’re probably only as good as the person financing the restoration.  Having beaucoup bucks does not necessarily mean you have beaucoup knowledge.

If a buyer finds a Riv which is exactly to there liking i.e. Color, interior, Options, condition but it is not 100% correct

this will have a higher impact for handing over large amounts of cash.

This is more true if the Riv in question has great known history.

My 2Bobs worth.

Here in Australia classic cars are increasing in value/price.

Everyone thought that COVID would suppress the price of classic cars. Not so, they have gone up!

Has the same thing happened in USA & Canada? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I am very happy using my popsicle stick that you gave me when I bought your 65 years back.  I sold the car without the popsicle stick though.

As long as you don't tell me you found pocket change under the seat LOL

Also, that car was a lady

• Haha 1

I raised this question back about  a day ago , about  authentic restorations,  hoping that some one here

would take the bait, and mention a few of the many items  incorrect on this  Riviera, so thank you  Seafoam 65

i was  not sure if i would get blasted if i did  this.

It actually helps us all ,as finding and learning the correct  items, parts used, colours, where positioned, etc.

We as members of this great club , act as  history and museum and  time piece in keeping---BUICK---

as they were built, the day they left the factory.

Now about the popsicle stick,  when i  received my 64 Electra  convertible 3 months ago, from US look at the front top radiator

condition,---yes true story i have always had a couple of these in my tool.--one of the first things i did using those  2 sticks.

Wood is still a wonderful product  for many uses.

IMG_2115.jpg

P1100246.JPG

P1100248.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bet Tom Mooney can correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the rear seat belts incorrect too? I know the '65 was available with them, and it's a rare option, but weren't the rear buckles black instead of chrome with the carriage logo?

Came back to edit; it also seems to be missing the wood piece on the center console door, unless I'm looking at the pictures wrong. 

Okay, now we've all picked it apart, but it's still a desirable Riviera to me, just not $132 big ones worth. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by jframe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jframe said:

I bet Tom Mooney can correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the rear seat belts incorrect too? I know the '65 was available with them, and it's a rare option, but weren't the rear buckles black instead of chrome with the carriage logo?

Came back to edit; it also seems to be missing the wood piece on the center console door, unless I'm looking at the pictures wrong. 

Okay, now we've all picked it apart, but it's still a desirable Riviera to me, just not $132 big ones worth. Different strokes for different folks.

Hi Mark,

Yes, technically, when rear seat belts were initially ordered and factory installed the standard buckles were supplied. Having stated so, rear seat belts with the custom chrome buckles were available for installation through the dealer service system. So which are "correct"? Personally, whether back in `65 or now, my preference would be matching buckles. I think the matching rear buckles look great on this particular car.

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wayne R said:

I raised this question back about  a day ago , about  authentic restorations,  hoping that some one here

would take the bait, and mention a few of the many items  incorrect on this  Riviera, so thank you  Seafoam 65

i was  not sure if i would get blasted if i did  this.

It actually helps us all ,as finding and learning the correct  items, parts used, colours, where positioned, etc.

We as members of this great club , act as  history and museum and  time piece in keeping---BUICK---

as they were built, the day they left the factory.

Now about the popsicle stick,  when i  received my 64 Electra  convertible 3 months ago, from US look at the front top radiator

condition,---yes true story i have always had a couple of these in my tool.--one of the first things i did using those  2 sticks.

Wood is still a wonderful product  for many uses.

IMG_2115.jpg

P1100246.JPG

P1100248.JPG

I think you're referring to the a/c condenser, not the radiator. After straightening those fins, take a piece of aluminum L channel and place over the tops of the newly straightened fins.  They will be protected frrom dropped tools, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Mark,

Yes, technically, when rear seat belts were initially ordered and factory installed the standard buckles were supplied. Having stated so, rear seat belts with the custom chrome buckles were available for installation through the dealer service system. So which are "correct"? Personally, whether back in `65 or now, my preference would be matching buckles. I think the matching rear buckles look great on this particular car.

Tom

That may shed some light on my '65, then. I have chrome buckle belts in the rear seat, like the front ones, but NO carriage logo on the rears. Is it possible they were dealer installed as well?

16 minutes ago, jframe said:

That may shed some light on my '65, then. I have chrome buckle belts in the rear seat, like the front ones, but NO carriage logo on the rears. Is it possible they were dealer installed as well?

Probably aftermarket Mark

Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

I have the basic black seat belts in rear driver side only nothing on rear passenger side.

If you're interested in adding the passenger's side belt to the back seat, do a search for seat belts and sometime in the past, I posted an illustration of where you'll find the dimples in the floor boards / fender wells where to drill for the seat belt anchors.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:33 PM, RivNut said:

2 out of 10?  They’re probably only as good as the person financing the restoration.  Having beaucoup bucks does not necessarily mean you have beaucoup knowledge.

@RivNut I totally agree, but that wasn't quite what I was asking. My question was this: if someone wanted a correct/perfect 1965 Riviera Gran Sport restoration, how many restoration shops out there could execute on that?

In my other world, I can name seven restoration shops that could do a correct/perfect 1965 Corvette Sting Ray—one that would easily receive a Top Flight in NCRS judging. My interest is in what the situation is for the Riviera.

Funds no object, of course.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'll play.  Here's a few other things I saw that aren't quite right on this car:

• Carpeted floor mats wrong
  • Pass seat bottom trim missing?
  • Seats look too puffy
  • Grille top polished vs. painted argent silver
  • Rust on bolt heads and clips for wiring on rad support, rusty A/C piping, rust on valve cover hold down bolts, and rusty horn relay
  • Dirt on PS pump cap
  • Air cleaner lid chrome peeling?
  • Trunk light wire flopping out
  • Remote side mirror inside control estucheon oriented the wrong way (should be diamond not square)
  • Package tray wrong (vinyl vs cardboard)
  • Accessory switches under dash - black paint missing
  • Dash appears recovered in vinyl – too thick?
  • Weather-stripping black blob on driver door opening above striker

I'm a bit surprised by the rusty fasteners in the engine bay.  Not really in keeping with a fully restored car.  I wonder where the car has been stored?  

It is certainly an impressive car at first glance.  If you can afford to pay $135k for the car, these small items could be readily attended for a fraction of that amount.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but I don't see the cruise unit on the firewall, it does have the dash cruise switch to the right side of the steering wheel however; the description says it has "speed minder", which I don't think "buzzes" if it has factory cruise, at least it doesn't in my '64 Riv which does have cruise!,,,  

The '63 I once owned had the speed minder. I found out by accident that it had it the day I drove it home after buying it from the original owner. I was getting on the freeway and realized how effortlessly it reached 80MPH which was where it was set. I glanced down and saw the knob and turned it beyond the original set point but was careful driving it closer to the posted speed limit.