Is my radiator fan working?

ReattaPDX

Hi all.  Have not been here for awhile and evidently they changed password requirements as I had to renew mine.  Why the need for such a long password for just a hobbyist forum?  Oh well........

Anyway, I was reading up about the Reatta today and someone mentioned that they were having overheating issues with their 1988.  I have the same problems with mine, but usually on just hot days.  I then came here to find my answers on the forum and found some old messages regarding fan operation......or lack there of.

Someone suggested checking both radiator fans in both AC mode and normal mode.  The back fan comes on but when I turned on the AC the front one did not.  I guess that is the “Pusher” one that blows air across the radiator.

I checked the codes and no present or past codes regarding the cooling system.  I can post a video if that would be helpful showing what is going on?  I did not see any blade movement at all when AC was turned on, and I can clearly see it from underneath and through the air dam.

thanks 🙂👍🙂

Thanks Barney.  I could had sworn I saw a post that said that during the self-check that the car does at startup that it checks for operation of both fans.  And if you checked the codes or the diagnostic screen from the CRT it would alert you to a problem.  Did I read that wrong?

Thanks 

My understanding is that the pusher fan is for the AC and should be on during AC operation.  Correct?  Then can someone explain (in layman terms) the best way to check if relays are working and also how to check fan(s) through diagnostic mode.  Obviously the relay for the puller fan is working as the fan works. 

That would help me greatly.  I see that there is a way to check operation of fans with car off through diagnostic mode and that is also what I am looking for.

Thanks for any help.

There are several relays in the relay box near the air cleaner.    Mark them is some way and I think there is a label on the lid that tells what each relay is for. 

Identify the three relays for the fans,   you know the motor side fan is working so switch it to the other positions and see if anything changes....

Thanks Ronnie & Barney for the tips.  It is too hot for a couple days to do any investigating on the car, so I will have to put off until it cools to look into it further.  Doesn’t the 88’ have it’s fuses and relays inside of the car by passenger footwell?  The electric connector going to the pusher fan looks like it has a lot of buildup on it almost like the fan has been inoperable for awhile.  The puller fan is working though and I had a new thermostat installed a few years back.

2 hours ago, ReattaPDX said:

Doesn’t the 88’ have it’s fuses and relays inside of the car by passenger footwell?  

The relays you see in the schematic posted above are in the relay box under the hood. You should make sure they are good.

I switched around all of the fan relays and still it doesn’t work.  I even refastened the connector underneath the air filter box as someone on a different thread had luck by that.  No dice.  Would it make sense to assume that the fan is DOA and just replace it?  Is it easy to replace seeing as it is pretty accessible?  I assume the shroud at the front would have to come off.

Thanks 

Ok, I checked the fan(s) operation through the CRT diagnostics and they both work.  But...... the pusher fan is not coming on in AC mode, even when in “Auto” mode.  Am I missing something?  Isn’t the pusher fan supposed to engage when AC is running?

I am so confused.

In the event there might be some confusion...... the first post is the only one with a year mentioned and that said "someone mentioned that they were having overheating issues with their 1988. "

If your car is another year,  the 1990-91 is wired different.... not sure about the '89, so I posted the 1988 schematic. 

'90-91 does not have the resistor and the ECM switches the relays. 

You said....

* tested the relays and they all work

* both fans work with power directly applied

That would lead to the ECM not switching the relays on. 

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

the first post is the only one with a year mentioned and that said "someone mentioned that they were having overheating issues with their 1988.

That is what I was replying to as well. Wiring schematics I referenced and discussion of the resistor are for '88 models only. Other years are different.

Everyone should add the model year of their Reatta to their signature line or mention it right up front in a post to avoid confusion.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 9:12 PM, ReattaPDX said:

Ok, I checked the fan(s) operation through the CRT diagnostics and they both work.  But...... the pusher fan is not coming on in AC mode, even when in “Auto” mode.  Am I missing something?  Isn’t the pusher fan supposed to engage when AC is running?

I am so confused.

Both cooling fans come on when I turn on the A/C on my '88 model but that might be because I have the jumper on the resistor. Otherwise in the factory configuration the puller fan might be the only one that comes on with the A/C.

If you really want to see if the pusher fan will work to cool the engine down, park in the driveway and let the engine idle. Watch the gauges screen and see if the pusher fan comes on when you see the temperature go up to about 240 degrees. If the pusher fan comes on the system is probably working properly. If it doesn't come on there is a problem.

• Like 2

OK thanks everyone.  I thought I had given the model year, and apparently I hadn’t.  Well according to the last post it is working as should.  Maybe I just needed something to obsess about with my car so it wouldn’t seem like I was neglecting it?   When issues pop up it usually ends up costing big $ as there are always other things going on too. Gotta keep on top of things 🙂.

Edited by ReattaPDX (see edit history)

I recall when we were climbing up the grade out of Death Valley when the temperature outside was about 110 degrees. I watched nervously as the engine temp climbed to 244. Kept the air conditioning on and the speed at about 25 to 30. Good antifreeze good radiator cap. No boil no leaks no damage.

Successful trial by fire. Whew...

Yes I believe the pusher fan comes on at a fairly high setpoint.  240?

• Like 1