Antique Automobile - print copy and digital copy

Gary V

I respectfully pose the following question to those in positions of leadership at AACA.  My apologies if it may have been answered in the past, but I was not able to find anything relevant.

It is my understanding that the current print issue of Antique Automobile had some delays at the printer/publisher.  Since it is now approximately 3 weeks since it's normal arrival date, I presume the cause of the delay was not trivial.  None the less, I anxiously await its arrival, as I do for every issue.

My question pertains to the digital issue.  I am aware that the online digital issue is always "one issue prior" to the current, print issue.   Quite honestly, I am a bit perplexed by this.   All of the print/digital subscriptions that I have, automotive related and otherwise,  make their current digital issue available when the print issue is released.  Why is this not the procedure for Antique Automobile ?

If it is due to lengthy processing times to prepare a digital version, I could understand, but in today's printing world, digital is normally the source for the final printed version, so in theory, it should be available at the same time the print issue receives final approval for mailing. 

If it, on the other hand, is AACA policy not to have the current  issue available for members online , again, I respectfully have to ask, why ?   If access to the digital version is only available to members, not the general public (at least as far as I can determine), "unauthorized access" can't be the reason.    With the current state of USPS delays in mail delivery, it would seem only logical to provide access to the current,  digital version to members when the printed version is released.

If it takes time to prepare the digital version, could it not at least be made available at sometime during the 2 month span between printed issues ?

Thank you for the opportunity to present my concern.  I look forward to your reply.

Gary

14 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

It's the best way to prevent non members from getting the digital version, without members having had a month to read it fist. In other words pint is more secure.

I understand your comment, but non members cannot, as far as I have been able to determine, access the digital version.  You have to sign in as a member to get to the link.  So is it not already secure ?

There may be a problem but here is what the website says about that question:

PLUS we now feature two issues of the magazine online. A past issue, made available to anyone who wants to see it, and the current issue, available in the members only section and only available to AACA members. This will now allow even more exposure for your ad. If you have your website listed in the ad, readers will be able to hoover over the link and click to automatically be redirected to your site. This new feature adds tremendous value to your advertisement in the magazine and at no additional cost.

It appears that the online issues on the website are not up to date. I seem to recall reading that they are working on a new and improved website, so that might explain why the current one might not be as up to date as it should be. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

Received my July/August issue here on western long island , NY today. Another great issue with a wide variety of topics/subjects. Thanks to all who contribute to our fine club magazine. If you haven't contributed to Antique Automobile please consider doing so! Editor's are supposed to edit - that is what West does, they are not supposed to write the magazine .  He can edit what you send in .   SO VERY NICE to read the section about the AACA Library and Research Center as well - so very very important, not just to house the collection properly but to share it with all of us here!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gary V said:

I respectfully pose the following question to those in positions of leadership at AACA.  My apologies if it may have been answered in the past, but I was not able to find anything relevant.

It is my understanding that the current print issue of Antique Automobile had some delays at the printer/publisher.  Since it is now approximately 3 weeks since it's normal arrival date, I presume the cause of the delay was not trivial.  None the less, I anxiously await its arrival, as I do for every issue.

My question pertains to the digital issue.  I am aware that the online digital issue is always "one issue prior" to the current, print issue.   Quite honestly, I am a bit perplexed by this.   All of the print/digital subscriptions that I have, automotive related and otherwise,  make their current digital issue available when the print issue is released.  Why is this not the procedure for Antique Automobile ?

If it is due to lengthy processing times to prepare a digital version, I could understand, but in today's printing world, digital is normally the source for the final printed version, so in theory, it should be available at the same time the print issue receives final approval for mailing. 

If it, on the other hand, is AACA policy not to have the current  issue available for members online , again, I respectfully have to ask, why ?   If access to the digital version is only available to members, not the general public (at least as far as I can determine), "unauthorized access" can't be the reason.    With the current state of USPS delays in mail delivery, it would seem only logical to provide access to the current,  digital version to members when the printed version is released.

If it takes time to prepare the digital version, could it not at least be made available at sometime during the 2 month span between printed issues ?

Thank you for the opportunity to present my concern.  I look forward to your reply.

Gary

I've only been an AACA Member for 50 years, I have no idea what you are talking about, guess that goes with being older. Bob 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

I've only been an AACA Member for 50 years, I have no idea what you are talking about, guess that goes with being older. Bob 

In a nutshell Bob, I was told by HQ that the current issue of the magazine is never made available online until the "next" print issue is published.  So, you can't read the current issue online.

That's it.

Gary

• Like 1

In regards to it being late, I have given up on expectations for magazines at this point. I got my last AACA magazine about a month late, I get hemmings whenever they feel like sending them out and Old Cars, that ones really crazy. Some weeks I get 3 at a time, then maybe go a month and not have anything. The latest issue I got has all of the auctions for June! Glad I wasnt planning on going to any and buying a car.

The "online version" could be stolen by hackers, even unsophisticated hackers.

So if the printed version comes out first, and the online version is delayed by a month then the online version cannot be stolen when the print version is hot off the presses. It can only be stolen after the print version is a month old.

Out here between Mayberry & Pettycoat Junction in NC, we got our new issue this week.  Great as usual!

My favorite articles were the 1929 Auburn Boxer Speedster and the Tour Articles.

12 hours ago, mike6024 said:

So if the printed version comes out first, and the online version is delayed by a month then the online version cannot be stolen when the print version is hot off the presses. It can only be stolen after the print version is a month old.

That's very true.  I do wonder though why newspapers and other print/online publications don't appear to be as vulnerable then.  All require secure sign in's, as does AACA.   

I have been unable to respond. Here is the full story.  First , the magazine was not three weeks late in being mailed.  It was scheduled for July 13th and was in the mail the 23rd through the 26th.  Several problems contributed to this including staffing at our printer.  As everyone here knows getting people back to work is no small task these days.  We cannot guarantee when USPS will actually deliver your copies...most times it works pretty good but as well all know not all the time.

The digital copy available to the public is supposed to be an issue or two old and the current copy available to members only.  However, the straight answer is that we just have had too much on our plate this year with trying to get this building ready, our own COVID issues, the resumption of our events, etc.  Staff is working very hard but it just has been overwhelming.  We promise to do better in the future and our apologies.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

With the way the AACA has handled all of the challenges of the last 18 months I feel as absolutely NO apologies are needed or warranted in any aspect of the organization. 
I believe USPS says periodicals can take up to three days to be delivered AFTER it arrives in the local post office based on each carrier’s mail load. They also usually take up to 10 days (even when co-mingled which is supposed to be most efficient) to go from the entry point to the local post office. These schedules have been totally forgotten about during the pandemic.  Printers schedules are and have been for the last year totally up in the air and unpredictable. 
The quality and great stories this publication has given all of us has been a great joy for me over this last year plus of lockdown. I’m sure many of you will agree. If so I hope you will let Steve and all the great people at AACA know that. 
dave s 

ps - I speak from some knowledge about magazine circulation as I’ve owned one of the larger circulation fulfillment computer service bureaus for over 40 years. We processed over 120 pubs a month until COVID-19 closed most of them. We still process the oldest Automobile magazine being published. 

edit note - I should have said “the average delivery time based on what the USPS sorting center managers we deal with on a regular basis state these times as what normally happens”. The USPS will not state any guaranteed delivery times for any class of mail. Sorry for not being clear. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 10,000+ Points
  • Members

"I believe USPS says periodicals can take up to three days to be delivered AFTER it arrives in the local post office based on each carrier’s mail load. They also usually take up to 10 days (even when co-mingled which is supposed to be most efficient) to go from the entry point to the local post office. These schedules have been totally forgotten about during the pandemic.  Printers schedules are and have been for the last year totally up in the air and unpredictable." 

I'm sorry to have to get into something like this again, but frankly this needs to be cleared up! The information above is not correct, on it's face. Periodical Mail is a class of mail which was once called Second Class. The delivery schedule for that class of mail is based on the critical nature of it's content. Weekly or better, matter is called news and gets expedited handling. Within the category called "News,"  for obvious reasons, daily newspapers travel along with First Class Mail. In reality, under most scenarios, News usually travels with First Class Mail.

The delivery schedule for all other types of Periodical Mail, is dependent on it's issue date. Since the magazine we are discussing comes out every two months, the drop schedule that the mailer needs to maintain, and the PO has to deliver it, is based on that date. In other words the PO is not obligated to deliver your magazine, before the last day of the second month of the issue.

Frankly we have been spoiled by our efficient USPS. Periodical Mail was never allowed to sit for more then twenty four hours, before it's movement from the initial mailing facility. This is the way it was. How it works today is anybody's guess.

Well the last thing we need is a debate on this subject but Bill your answer is not  entirely correct either at this time.  According to the USPS's own website the following info is stated:  The United States Postal Service® does NOT guarantee delivery of Periodicals within a specified time.  All I can tell you is how we go about determining if magazines are late based upon decades of experience.  Our magazine publisher gives us dates for mailing at the beginning of the year for the entire year.  Normally, they are dead on with those dates.  Since they are a major publisher and ship a lot of titles they have their own USPS facility WITHIN their plant.  After discussions with our local postmaster and others, we normally give it 20 days after the magazine has gone into the mail system, to handle any complaints about missing magazines.  Fortunately, for the most part this is not a huge issue but it does happen every single issue.  Just the nature of periodical mailing.  

It is frustrating at times as we have board members who report at times that they get their periodical copy BEFORE their First Class copy arrives!!  However, all in all with the almost 200,000 magazines shipped yearly the USPS and our printer do a very decent job.  On our end we will continue to do as good a job in meeting deadlines, etc in order to get your magazines to you promptly.  Besides, we no longer have enough horses to do the Pony Express thing! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Down here in southern Florida, at the end of the food chain, if we get thing within forty five days of the initial mailing, we are happy. Such is the way of the world. I’m fairly certain that I am the last guy to get each issue. 

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Joe, you do not know how hard it was for me to find your magazine and hand deliver it! :)  Enjoy and thanks again for the support!

I was wondering who that guy was jogging down the street!  😉

I actually received March/April, May/June, and July/August all in one package. That was a pleasant surprise. Now I've got a lot of reading to catch up on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

It continues to be debated and discussed with members, board, our editor and our advertisers.  I'm sure we will have a further position on it down the road. 

Maybe we can send in photos of the vehicles and save the time and cost of hauling them to the meets. 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bloo said:

Has a digital-only option to the subscription ever been considered?

On 7/31/2021 at 9:30 PM, mike6024 said:

Electronic version:  

Let me pose this question:  Why would a hacker (even an unsophisticated hacker) bother to steal the electronic version of Antique Automobile?  I see two reasons:  

1. Hackers don't want to pay dues and want the magazine free.  Few, if any membership are petty enough to feel a need to steal the electronic magazine to save $45 a year. Even less are technically savvy enough to steal the magazine.  It simply doesn't happen.
  2. Hackers "steal" the magazine to give it away or sell it.  Search for "downloadable antique automobile magazine" on Google.  The results are the AACA website, AACA forums, and placing you can buy back issues online. (Amazon and Ebay).  Even if people did want to steal AA, or buy it cheap, they can't find it to do so. It simply doesn't happen.

Many of you could care less about "electronic" magazines. I enjoy bathroom reading material as much as the next guy. :)  In the case of the VCCA 10% of all members buy the electronic version.  Approx 20% of new members buy the electronic version.  Electronic magazine's save clubs a boatload of money because they don't have to print and mail the magazine.  Bonus for everyone involved. Club makes more money, member gets their electronic magazine immediately.  Oh, and another bonus, International members love it. The trend is clear. 

Postal version: 

Patience folks. Your day is not ruined it you don't get your magazine on a specific date.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Maybe we can sent in photos of the vehicles and save the time and cost of hauling them to the meets. 

Bob,

Sarcasm aside, you miss the point of an electronic magazine.  You may not want one, that doesnt mean EVERYONE doesnt want one.  Read my last post.

• Like 1

While I'm on the subject...  Electronic Back Issues 

Most marque clubs have been around for 50+ years. The biggest asset of many of the marque clubs is their magazine back issues.  In the case of the VCCA their ENTIRE 700 back issues will soon be online for paying members to search and view.  I see this as a trend other clubs should follow.

The AACA is unique in that has the largest library of antique automobile related research material in the world. www.aacalibrary.org  We are all a phone call away from answers to many of our technical problems or historical questions. Even the AACA Library is going electronic. http://www.aacalibrary.org/online-catalog/  Most clubs do not have that resource. Ironically, the AACA Library provides that very service to many marque same clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Many of you could care less about "electronic" magazines. I enjoy bathroom reading material as much as the next guy. :)  In the case of the VCCA 10% of all members buy the electronic version.  Approx 20% of new members buy the electronic version.  Electronic magazine's save clubs a boatload of money because they don't have to print and mail the magazine.  Bonus for everyone involved. Club makes more money, member gets their electronic magazine immediately.  Oh, and another bonus, International members love it. The trend is clear. 

As older members of clubs are replaced by younger ones over time, the trend will most likely accelerate at a much faster rate than some people might think.

BTW, who is to say that "electronic" magazines will put an end to bathroom reading? If what I saw for sale on-line this morning is any indication, reading in this room will not stop even when it is "electronic".

14 minutes ago, charlier said:

As older members of clubs are replaced by younger ones over time, the trend will most likely accelerate at a much faster rate than some people might think.

BTW, who is to say that "electronic" magazines will put an end to bathroom reading? If what I saw for sale on-line this morning is any indication, reading in this room will not stop even when it is "electronic".

A laptop computer is ideal for bathroom reading!

Terry

• Like 1

Electronic magazine, digital photos are "now" but as someone from "then" I still like a paper magazine, book, print publication and am so happy and we are so fortunate that the printed period photos still survive in assorted state of condition so that they can/maybe be scanned and saved. Are print publications obsolete? maybe, maybe not, am I obsolete

because I focus on period material, still create artwork with a paint brush and paint from a tube, create sculpture from non digital material  , YES I am obsolete. But I still think driving a "real" old car is much more fun then a view of a cartoon or electronically created drive as seen on a screen. Different strokes for different folks.

Walt

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Electronic magazine, digital photos are "now" but as someone from "then" I still like a paper magazine, book, print publication and am so happy and we are so fortunate that the printed period photos still survive in assorted state of condition so that they can/maybe be scanned and saved. Are print publications obsolete? maybe, maybe not, am I obsolete

because I focus on period material, still create artwork with a paint brush and paint from a tube, create sculpture from non digital material  , YES I am obsolete. But I still think driving a "real" old car is much more fun then a view of a cartoon or electronically created drive as seen on a screen. Different strokes for different folks.

Walt

We are a tangible club with real cars in most garages. We attend actual car shows. We meet actual people. Yet this digital forum exists!

Just like this forum, "electronic" magazines are a viable second choice for most, and a sole choice for many.  To each his own.  Not good or bad. No one should judge those who prefer print anymore than we should judge those who prefer electronic.

Period photos is a PERFECT example of how we can mix the two worlds (electronic vs print). Look at the reach and audience you have with photos forum.  Now imagine trying to do the same thing in a printed magazine?  Possible for sure, but no need when this forum fulfills that purpose.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Just like this forum, "electronic" magazines are a viable second choice for most, and a sole choice for many.  To each his own.  Not good or bad. No one should judge those who prefer print anymore than we should judge those who prefer electronic.

This says it all quite well , we have the best of both worlds !

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Just an FYI....for years you have been able to purchase a memory stick with ALL the past issues in it.  No we don't stuff them in the tiny piece but all issues have been digitized.  Available through the AACA Library for about $100. 

That is a very good deal. The oldest Auto Industry magazine (a trade journal) charges $360 for an annual subscription which is two print issues (also exact copy in digital) and two other digital only. 

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I may not have been clear enough...it is a phenomenal deal as when I should have said over 75 YEARS of magazines in one stick for $100.  The early years are so interesting!!

I cant find them to purchase on the site.  Not in the online store?