1956 Olds 88 Holiday sedan value

Saw one of these for sale today by the local owner. Only had the chance to look at the outside but looks very nice with good chrome, paint, upholstery, one rust blister beside the back window. 55,000 miles. Two things slightly unusual, it is a base 88 4 door but the 4 door hardtop Holiday model, and it has a 3 speed manual transmission. I suppose like other cars of the time this was standard equipment and the Hydramatic was optional but have never seen one.

The question is, how much does the manual trans detract from the value? I like it myself but I know it would turn off a lot of people.

Depending on the circle it's in the stick is seen as a plus, since by then only about 2% of annual Olds production had sticks. Even then most stick cars were bottom line 88 2 door sedans. It was standard equipment in 88 and Super 88. Ninety Eight had HydraMatic standard.

I like it, but as stated a lot of folks get caught up in HydraMatic, which had kinda become synonymous with Oldsmobile by the 50s.

• Like 1

Lots of people can't or won't drive a standard and anybody under 50 probably never drove a column shift even if they know how to drive a standard. This cuts down the market and affects price. I wondered how much difference it makes? I'm tossing around the idea of buying it but not real passionate about the car. It's a nice one, and I like Oldsmobiles,

15 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Saw one of these for sale today by the local owner. Only had the chance to look at the outside but looks very nice with good chrome, paint, upholstery, one rust blister beside the back window. 55,000 miles. Two things slightly unusual, it is a base 88 4 door but the 4 door hardtop Holiday model, and it has a 3 speed manual transmission. I suppose like other cars of the time this was standard equipment and the Hydramatic was optional but have never seen one.

The question is, how much does the manual trans detract from the value? I like it myself but I know it would turn off a lot of people.

Oldsmobiles are my favorite cars and I don't think a 1956 with a manual shift detracts from the value at all. It would be a big plus for me as I myself like cars that are a little different from the mainsteam stuff you see everyday. Stick shift Oldsmobiles from the 50s are fairly rare but there are some around. Just some personal observations: 1953 & older manual shifts are unusual but not super rare. I've seen quite a few stick 1953s in my time. I personally owned two 1954 Super 88s that were stick, a 2-dr HT & a 4-dr sedan that I drove for a long time. Great cars. I know of one other stick 1954 currently in my area. A (somewhat) educated guess is that from 1954-1957 maybe 10% of all Oldsmobiles were stick. By 1958 and later the cars grew bigger and the stick production got to be less & less. (5-7%?) I have personally seen at least one if not more manual shift Oldsmobile examples from 1955-1960 but they're definitely in the minority. Current Ebay listings show one 1955 Super88 convert & one 1956 Oldsmobile 88 2 dr post for sale that are 3-on-the tree so they're still out there but are definitely unusual. Now that I'm older and have stiffer shoulders & knees surely an automatic is a better choice but a stick shift 1956 Olds would still get my attention. If the car checks out, has no rust issues, you like it and is reasonably priced it should give it some serious consideration. Good Luck. 

Edited by The 55er
A little better phrasing of a statement. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's the reasonably priced that has me wondering. Asking $20,000 Canadian. Last plated in 2015 so could need brakes, battery, who knows what (although the tires look good). I think it is on the high side but not too far out of line compared to asking prices I see for other cars but asking and getting are 2 different things.

May make an offer conditional on putting it on the hoist and having a mechanic go over it.

• Like 3