help with Volkswagen model

It looks to be an early 70's VW van. Otherwise known as a type 2.  I had one very similar to it except it was blue and white. Mine was a 1970 and except for the color looked like your photo. I sure enjoyed driving that thing but my wife didn't as she kept jumping curbs when cornering. 🙄

• Thanks 1

1968 is the first year of the new body, we VW people call this new model ( unofficially ) a Bay window bus. 

In 1973 the VW sign on the front becomes smaller than the headlamps for the first time. You see this VW Type 2 has no chrome inserted in the windshield rubber.

2.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

A standard model;12.jpg

Deluxe;13.jpg

It's difficult to say if the car in question is a 73 as the 74 looks the same;

front.jpg

• Thanks 1

One thing I was told by a first responder about those vans, "just remember your going to be the first one to the accident". He had to remove someone from one of those vans after a wreck and he said the the front end was basically shoved right into the front seat. The only thing separating you from the rear of the next vehicle is some very thin sheet metal and the steering column. 

I must be a Bone Head because I still like them.  

58 minutes ago, Fossil said:

One thing I was told by a first responder about those vans, "just remember your going to be the first one to the accident". He had to remove someone from one of those vans after a wreck and he said the the front end was basically shoved right into the front seat. The only thing separating you from the rear of the next vehicle is some very thin sheet metal and the steering column. 

I must be a Bone Head because I still like them.  

If I owned one I would buy the spare tire mount;

TheSamba.com :: Bay Window Bus - View topic - Removing front spare tire  mount?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

If I owned one I would buy the spare tire mount;

TheSamba.com :: Bay Window Bus - View topic - Removing front spare tire  mount?

A true airbag, already inflated to be a potential lifesaver!

Of course, not recommended for a later second-generation water-cooled Type 2

Craig

1992_VW_Type2.jpg

24 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

A true airbag, already inflated to be a potential lifesaver!

Of course, not recommended for a later second-generation water-cooled Type 2

Craig

1992_VW_Type2.jpg

Yes, but anything water cooled by us VW purest is not a VW.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Yes, but anything water cooled by us VW purest is not a VW.

So is a 2021-22 VW ID.4 a real VW or not? :) (It doesn’t to me but I still compare VWs to the 36 hp '57 oval window Beetle I once had.)

13 minutes ago, ply33 said:

So is a 2021-22 VW ID.4 a real VW or not? :) (It doesn’t to me but I still compare VWs to the 36 hp '57 oval window Beetle I once had.)

Not really. It's like when GM started putting Chevy engines in Pontiac and Olds. You bring a car like that ( a Pontiac) to a Pontiac car show and a Pontiac guy will walk by and say "nice Chevy" or the same with Olds. I was at a VW meet one time and a guy brought a nice early VW Rabbit  " a 74 or 75 " and some guy walks by and says nice Audi.

You see VW spent millions on drumming this image into our heads, it would be hypocritical for us purest to change, besides the old man wouldn't like it either.

The image; image.jpeg.eee09e10685baba6204567d45476c5b8.jpeg image.jpeg.aefefe146bf9ad322801b724b522aaa5.jpegPorsche just before he died in 1951