Is it my rear shock?

Lac717

Newbie with question: So i was replacing tires yesterday and when i lifted and was taking drivers rear side tire the differential carrier starting coming down as i was pulling tire out so i just put jack till new tire was installed. Do i have an issue or just need your knowledge pleaseScreenshot_20210728-094823_Chrome.jpg.223855d502c463587351fe7412414847.jpg

4 hours ago, Lac717 said:

Newbie with question: So i was replacing tires yesterday and when i lifted and was taking drivers rear side tire the differential carrier starting coming down as i was pulling tire out so i just put jack till new tire was installed. Do i have an issue or just need your knowledge pleaseScreenshot_20210728-094823_Chrome.jpg.223855d502c463587351fe7412414847.jpg

The diff will only drop as far as the shocks will allow.

Tom Mooney

What you have circled there is the Track Bar (a.k.a. Panhard Rod, or Panhard bar, or track rod) a suspension link that provides lateral location of the axle.   If the Bushings located at each end of this bar have never been replaced, it is certain that they should be replaced. 

I just replaced mine for the first time on our one-family-owned '67 Riv and it made a huge difference in handling and safe drivability. 

Ref: 

Track Arm Bushing Set (Panhard Bar)

Part Number: 3.7111

Manufacturer: Energy Suspension
--

Rear Track Arm Bushing Kit - Panhard Bar

Part Number: 71210

Manufacturer: Prothane

1293294981_1967BuickRivieraRearSuspensionPolyTrackArm(PanhardBar)Bushings3_7111.jpg.cd11daed290b36bffb054507e43f0497.jpg

FB_IMG_1627096117722.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1319~2.jpg

IMG_1320~2.jpg

IMG_1321~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1627096128353.jpg

FB_IMG_1627096109647.jpg

Edited by KRmanr (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A way to check the bushings WITHOUT jacking the car up or put it on a lift or bring bring the bar to a machine shop. Will need two people. One will watch the bar for any movement while the other person skakes the car in the rear side to side.  IF ANY movement is noticed the bushings need to be replaced.

IF they are original bushings as you can see in the above photos the original bushing has compenstateing serations in it.  Take a knife, something like the old Shell give away steak knifes, & cut out the serations. Now remove the inner part of the bushing along with the metal part. Next remove the blade in your hack saw. Install it inside the bushing & hook it back into the hack saw. Start cutting the bushing shell. Be careful to only cut out the shell. When you are pretty well through the metal shell take a chisel & break the small amount to break it free & knock it out.  Clean any rust from inside the track bar with a wire wheel.  Lube with the supplied grease around the outside diameter of the bushing install the bolt & nut. With the car on the ground & torque to specs. Done.

About a 30 minute job for each side.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2