Does your Classic have a name ?

The "S.S. Brook", my all-original 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood, named after it's original owner of 40 years, Dr. Karl Rex Brook, a family friend. He always drove Cadillacs, and special ordered this example of the last full-sized Fleetwood in late 1975, and kept it for many years.  

76Fleetwood.jpg

Edited by car crazy (see edit history)
  • Like 4

My cars are known as what their creators called them. It's easier and less confusing this way.

Now look at the subject this way;

A friend of mine bought a school bus. Today he is known by all of us car guys as School Bus Bob. I have another friend who has four C2 Corvettes and he is known as Corvette Mike.

In my town of 40K there are many car guys and just in my Friday lunch group alone there are over 100 guys on the lunch list and many of the guys are known by the car they drive. Putting the make and model and a persons first name is the best way to link a car guy. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The new red toy is easy to name…….

BAMFT…….is what I would call it. 🤔

The fun part…..Randy has a new redheaded girlfriend. And I’m the only one who has seen her. Sure has nice headlights!😝

The two of you are now going to put together another mystery guess the mfg/model of the new red machine with good looking headlights. Easy Rita Hayworth!  Wait a minute I’m showing my age.  
Looking forward to more clues. 
dave s 

When I was in high school I built a T speedster out of dad’s spare parts pile and during its break in period it always died at the top of the hill at a friendly neighbors farm. The lady, Jenny Peckavitch, was in her 80’s at that time and a good friend of my grandmothers so I’d stop for a visit when it died and every time she would ask what the car’s name was… so eventually I named it Jenny. I swear once it was named it stopped dying on that particular hill and I have named every vehicle since…

24 Studebaker became “the beast” because it stuck

54 Jeepster was  named “bumble” (it was black and yellow)

15 T Ford roadster became Mrs. Beauford 

27 T Ford sedan is still Miss Emily as it came from Walton’s mountain Virginia and can be flaky at times

29 A Ford roadster was Miss Crusty

28 A Ford Phaeton came with the name Judy and I never changed it 

and my 31 Pierce started life as “big blue” but now it is running again it seems to have been renamed after Betty Boop for some reason…

Never gave it a second thought that not everyone named their cars…

• Like 3

My wife likes to name them; when we met I had an old Impala so since then she tries to come up with an animal to match each one. Some are a stretch. Our daily driver, a silver pickup, is the Fox. An old red & white GMC van? She came up with the Panda (red panda?) My old yellow IH pickup became the Canary, while the tan Packard I had was the Hare. I briefly had a beater '50 Cadillac that we just called Miss Daisy. My plain-Jane black '51 Ford got the name Orca based on color and the fin on the hood ornament. Now I have a grayish blue '49 Chrysler; I volunteered "Babe, the Blue Ox" but she says it can't be a fictional animal...I haven't found anything that color that fits. Might have to change colors!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Putting the make and model and a persons first name is the best way to link a car guy. 

I really thought this was a good idea too.  There's a fellow drives down my street every Thursday morning, we always wave at each other.  He finally stopped in my bar/restaurant  for lunch one day and I said "Hi garbage truck Carlos".

He doesn't wave any more.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

Our present '27 Chrysler has not been named as it has not been on the road since 1971 .When we see what it's personality is in a month or two..we will see if a name comes..Some times it take a while for it to organically happen,along whether masculine or femmine?

Several past cars were just nicknamed by others and stuck.

A barn type 29 Ford pick up was named "Little Black Sambo"(from the story book) shortened to "Sambo" .Not PC but a dear old black grandma of a close friend named it..so it was just fine.

A 48 Chrysler became "Big Red" after a club president named it after being repainted in 10 coats of RED! free Laquer and was for ever forever present and noticable for a few years 

Our Whippet we called the "Toleto Vibrator"

A 32 Nash was "Ms Norman."LOL.

A Dodge Touring was Esmeralda.

A Maxwell touring of course was "Jack"( for Jack Benny) or sometimes "Black Jack".

A 29 Essex was "Uncle Maury" .

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jack Bennett said:

Meet Boo…….

I had him out last weekend for the local Home Town Heritage Festival and I towed my 1935 Mullins type trailer wit itls torsion bar

suspension.  The tri;er was converted to a utility traler by me 40 years ago.

I picked dup a friend and his wheel chair after he dropped his Model A on his foot causinf horrible compound fracture.

Towing the trailer on our steep hills was a challenge for 85 HP.  Again the most photographrd car a the event/.   

I had a 69 Dodge truck for about 15 years. Not very pretty but very dependable. The neighbors named it "Ole Blue" as in May I borrow Ole blue to run to the lumber yard, etc. The name stuck  and everyone called it  that . Ole Blue had lots of friends and one actually bought it when we moved away. 

14 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I really thought this was a good idea too.  There's a fellow drives down my street every Thursday morning, we always wave at each other.  He finally stopped in my bar/restaurant  for lunch one day and I said "Hi garbage truck Carlos".

He doesn't wave any more.

BTW, school Bus Bob sold that school bus about 5 years ago and has had about ten cars since, But we still call him School Bus Bob.

• Like 1

My 64 Spyder was called Nader by friends, and my 64 Monza 4 door was called Ed Cole. Oh, yea, those were also their personalized license plates.😉

One day a door to door interrupter (salesman) stopped by and told me my neighbor Ed Cole liked the products he was selling! Hmmmm....so truthful I see..🤣

My wife's 50 Studebaker Commander is known as Max, and it is also a personalized antique plate. Any guesses as to why? 🤔

23 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Dare we ask how he managed to drop a Model A on his foot? Sounds painful😬

With the 29 Model A Coupe on jack stands, the owner tried to change a spring bushing when the car jumped off the jack stands 

and the axle and brake drum fell on his foot, causing a compund fracture.   With his cell phone on the work bench he was pined

for an hour befor he could free his foot and call for help.   When help came, he got a 75 mile helicopter ride to the hospital.  Three

surgeries later, he's home and told to stay off the foot for 3 months.

Soon, some of  us will go rescue the Model A and make room to put his Model T back inside.

"It happended so fast, I don't know what happened"

• Like 3

On 7/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, Walt G said:

No current names for the cars in my garage. When I owned my 31 Franklin it got named "Rosemont" after the Pa. town that was the location of the custom body builder that built the body. I know a lot of the British collectors name their cars and there was a collector of Packards in the Pacific NW area that had all kinds of "pretty" ( for lack of a better word) for his fleet but pet names for cars never did anything for me.

I like to refer to my Franklins as my honest politicians. Number one their fairly rare, number two they put out copious amounts of hot air and number three they'll never get you into hot water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hook said:

I like to refer to my Franklins as my honest politicians. Number one their fairly rare, number two they put out copious amounts of hot air and number three they'll never get you into hot water.

But you can't "Live Better Electrically" with a Franklin!

Craig

In 1959, when I was 14 and my brother was 16, he bought a 1951 Oldsmobile 98 Conv.  Off the back row of a car lot for $95.00.   We painted it with my mothers Electrolux and put a new top on from J.C. Whitney, $27.00

On the hood it said in individual letters, OLDSMOBILE.   We filled the holes of the unused letters, S M O and cut the bottom loop off the B.   The resulting name was OLD   PILE.    Pile of what? you might ask.  Fill in the blank____.

The following year when my brother got his New Jersey driver's license, the familly moved to Florida and we loaded my

1952 Zundapp motorcycle in the back seat and drove the OLD PILE to Florida.   In Florida I got a restricted Driers license

still at age 14.   Life begins with a drivers license!!!!

• Like 2

I typically don't name the autos, but this one had a couple of names that I can't mention when the fuel system got eaten up by ethanol gas. And, when the master brake cylinder failed and leaked fluid all over the carpet. The names were quite close to words used back in my Navy days.

In the mid '80's someone called it "Casper" and that kind of stuck. When I asked, why Casper, he said it was like a ghost. Here one minute and gone the next.

It's fast, but not that fast.

Scan 132540011.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, caddyshack said:

I typically don't name the autos, but this one had a couple of names that I can't mention when the fuel system got eaten up by ethanol gas. And, when the master brake cylinder failed and leaked fluid all over the carpet. The names were quite close to words used back in my Navy days.

In the mid '80's someone called it "Casper" and that kind of stuck. When I asked, why Casper, he said it was like a ghost. Here one minute and gone the next.

It's fast, but not that fast.

Scan 132540011.jpg

Just saying,  for myself I never blame the car for something the government did to it.