1922 Buick Paint color options

Mike Mowen

I have a 22-4-36 that I’m finally getting ready to start on after 30 years and I’ve seen a few similar cars with various paint colors.  I’m curious about how many colors were originally available because I thought Black was the only original color available back then. 

Paint colors may differ from USA made Buicks to those made by McLaughlin in Canada. Unlikely but not impossible.

Besides black I believe I have seen or read in periodicals of that era that dark blue, green and maroon were available.

Most of the Buicks I have seen of the 1920-29 era had a really attractive dark blue. The closest I have seen to match that or possibly

match that can be found in the 1972 Mercedes Midnight Blue . I went with that color ( as you could get it in lacquer at the time) when I

restored my 1931 Franklin Derham bodied brougham in the early 1970s - it was an exact color match. Brand of paint I used was Bellco which

was imported and made in England. I remember several car owners ( Buick and other brands) asked me what the color was as it was so period correct.

Walt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike:

If you have a McLaughlin Buick then you can have an extended pallet. As McLaughlin did offer paint options. Most of these coupes did show up in Black Cobalt blue or Maroon was also very popular. Most detachable items as the spash shields, fenders and mud pans were black baked enamel. As was the radiator shell. But there again a McLaughlin may have had a nickeled shell.

• Thanks 1

Mike ,

The  Master Parts List is a treasure trove of information chapter 6.301 for example gives details on front wheel assemblies

and the available colours . My 23 - 35  wheels were  only available in black with a white stripe. 

By 1929 different combination across all models totalled 50 if I am reading it correctly.  

If you wondering what colours to paint your hub, spokes,Fellowes,drums it an  interesting place to  start....

Norm

• Thanks 1

You might give Queen's University a try for original literature, they house the archive for McLaughlin.  My friend and I both received sales brouchures for our McLaughlin cars, scanned from their records, sent by email to us and then I had it professionally printed.

Regards, Gary

DSC_4695.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The McLaughlin archives are here at the AACA Library & Research Center, America's Automotive Library, they are owned by the Buick Heeritage Alliance and their full time librarian Spencer is here during the week.  You can call him at 717-534-2082 or at spaterick@gmail.com 

Great information thank you 

Hi Mike,

Interesting how paint colours are well interesting !  In addition to my earlier post if you

google bca judging manual pdf   , You will be able to download the Buick Club Judging Manual.

Page 22 onwards has all sorts of interesting info , engine numbers by year, rear window shape by year,

Tyre sizes .... External paint colours , yes your model is listed as available in Black. Other models in 1922 in a range of colours ,  Cars assembled in other countries may have used a variety of local colours.

Regards

Norm

• Thanks 1

Also I discovered that the judging manual was incorrect for the paint on my 1922 model 45.  They refer to it as Brewster Green and that is incorrect.  The proper color was Buick Green also called Verde Green in a couple later years

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 8:00 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

The McLaughlin archives are here at the AACA Library & Research Center, America's Automotive Library, they are owned by the Buick Heeritage Alliance and their full time librarian Spencer is here during the week.  You can call him at 717-534-2082 or at spaterick@gmail.com 

I’ll have to try calling I sent an email some time ago but no response 

• 3 months later...
On 7/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, dibarlaw said:

Mike:

If you have a McLaughlin Buick then you can have an extended pallet. As McLaughlin did offer paint options. Most of these coupes did show up in Black Cobalt blue or Maroon was also very popular. Most detachable items as the spash shields, fenders and mud pans were black baked enamel. As was the radiator shell. But there again a McLaughlin may have had a nickeled shell.

I was just going back through some past posts to get myself back up to speed and I’m at a loss on what my original color was because the previous owner had partly disassembled my 22 and primered.  The parts that haven’t been primed have an obvious terrible spray paint job. 

Mike, 

This page from the Buick Master parts list does sum it up that at least in 1922, the model 36 was black with no stripes.  Personally I love black, but that is a preference.  I do know in 1925 that the earlier model 25's came black with white pinstripes.  Later it was Brewster green with red pinstripes.  Yet I understand that the McLaughlin model 25 may have been a blue.  From the Master parts list you can see the available colors, but understand that in the early years, colors were model specific.  That is one of the unique things about our cars.   Model specific paint colors and factory pinstripping.  No primer back then and even hubcaps were inventoried by the painted color around the Buick Script.  Imagine ordering a door for your car and it arrived painted and pinstriped.  Just bolt it on and drive off.   

The difficulty with painting cars today is finding a code without flake or pearls in it.  To keep the car at least "period" I have paint codes for Brewster Green and Cobalt Blue.  Mark has the code for his green.  For black, code 99 is a black as it gets as there is basically nothing added.   Hugh 

801504461_earlypaintcolors.jpg.26477cb4a3d59302a25889967aa0e6bb.jpg2095848929_1920spaintpage1BuickNut.JPG.daa0478c9b336a7be1b9631c867128dd.JPG1712425341_1920spaintpage2BuickNut.JPG.04387745e135ac46b54bfee456892582.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2