help with problems

Hi. New member here. Bought an 89 sohc TC and after had it found these problems maybe some of you can send me in the right direction to fix it. It was an anniversary present for my wife. After its run for 10 minutes it begins to buck and surge. The more you push the throttle it cuts out ,leave off throttle engine resumes. Also when it surges and u stop a HUGE  cloud of white smoke comes out of the tail pipe. Step on the throttle again and it stops the smoke. then no smoke unless u go thru the surge and stop again. Trying to keep check on radiator level of coolant and it only seems to went down maybe a 1/2 pint. I know possible head gasket but seems like something else to me. Maybe EGR or waste gate. A ny one to give me more direction before i bring out the wrenches? Also fuel pump seems a little loud and right before I brought it home I filled the gas tank from its 1/2 full position.

Thanks, Rick

Hey Hemi Dude t y for reply. Really doesn't smell like oil or antifreeze. New developement today ifound one vac hoe off the side of the engine drivers side below throttle body and fixed that. Now with about a 1/2 tank of gas it started to idle rough and bucking and surging worse. Starting to look to me like fuel tank and fuel pump problem. Maybe some junk in tank around pump. let me know if you think i am on the right track. When tank was full only had bucking and surging, now rough idle and stalled a few times when dropped into gear. pulled the plugs also and they looked fine

You may be right about anniversary present. lol

thanks, Rick

OK Rick, would you share the last digits after 20xxxx so we might know how old your particular TC is, production wise?

Also, is there any antifreeze in the cooling system?

Remove oil filler cap, with engine off, look underneath cap for signs of moisture or foam. Tell us if you see any.

Your stumbling / hesitation problem would appear to come from a problem with the MAP Sensor.

Do you have any warning lights on, in the left side of the instrument cluster? 
Do you know how to check for engine trouble codes?

REPLY to each question in order, please.

Ok

yes i filled it with anti freeze to near top of jug and it only seems to have dropped about a pint

I have checked under oil cap after each run (4) hot and then cold also..no moisture

no warning light at all on the dash.

i haven't invested yet for code reader as my other classic is a 1978 Thunderbird and didn't need it for that. usually let my service mechanic do that when needed.

i recently retired and wanted to do my own thing on my classic but knowledge on cars beyond the Thunderbird is very very limited.

Gonna have to invest in some more tools and a service manual for the TC

anyway for me to check MAP sensor or is it just replace it?

thanks for your assistance

You don't need a code reader for this car. The codes are "blinked" out on the check engine light after turning the key on/off/on/off/on (do NOT start). 

Before you drive it too much, REPLACE THE FUEL HOSES!! Pressure side is 5/16, return is 1/4. Be sure it is fuel injection hose. 

If you can get the codes to come up, tell us what they are. The blinks come in series of 2 numbers. "55" is the end of the codes. 

1 hour ago, Reaper1 said:

You don't need a code reader for this car. The codes are "blinked" out on the check engine light after turning the key on/off/on/off/on (do NOT start). 

Before you drive it too much, REPLACE THE FUEL HOSES!! Pressure side is 5/16, return is 1/4. Be sure it is fuel injection hose. 

If you can get the codes to come up, tell us what they are. The blinks come in series of 2 numbers. "55" is the end of the codes. 

You're 4 days late with that one. I replied to him in a message last Thursday; 

• Ahh, you don’t need a code reader to get the codes from your TC.All you need is a writing pad and a pencil. Then just sit down in the car, be ready to write and observe the lowest of the 4 red warning lamps there to the left on your instrument panel.

The lamp will blink in a double number sequence such as  blink-blink, then a short pause, then blink-blink-blink which would indicate 23. The blink sequence ranges from 11 to 55. Only 55, meaning end of sequence’ could be possible if there are no trouble codes in memory.

To begin the sequence, turn ignition switch to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON in rapid succession and leave it in the ON position.

Sequence begins with a LONG ON, then the code flashes, ending with blinks indicating 55, the end of the sequence.

Do it a few times if you need to do it so you get the correct numbers, record the trouble code numbers then report back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys.well no numbers on codes but some backpressure at oil fill cap. hose on pcv valve is a loose fit and will replace it. cylinder compression is 135 -145 -145 -135. smoking more now and there was some oil accumulation at air cleaner 

. so if i may ask this leaning that oil rings may be stuck also  that since oil was also present at air cleaner then may also have to check sensors that could get gummed up by oil in fuel system?

1 hour ago, Itlncrooner021 said:

hey guys.well no numbers on codes but some backpressure at oil fill cap. hose on pcv valve is a loose fit and will replace it. cylinder compression is 135 -145 -145 -135. smoking more now and there was some oil accumulation at air cleaner 

. so if i may ask this leaning that oil rings may be stuck also  that since oil was also present at air cleaner then may also have to check sensors that could get gummed up by oil in fuel system?

When you say "Smoking more now", just how much smoke are you talking about and is it thick light blue smoke?  If so, I suspect the turbo.