For Sale: 1959 Pontiac Catalina Vista Hardtop - "runs & drives well" - Aurora, CO - Not Mine - 7/31 Deleted

For sale on Facebook: 1959 Pontiac Catalina 4-door Vista Hardtop  -  $15,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

LInk: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/847996265819337/1959-Pontiac-Catalina

Seller's Description:

1959 Pontiac Catalina 4-door Vista Hardtop

• Driven 60,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green

Believed to be 60k original miles, 389 2bbl., 4 speed auto, runs and drives well. Feel free to ask any questions.

image.png.de9da59b1c860b3fc70226a9af997855.png

image.png.70ee56ea12c3b66fa13baaca93987bb9.png

image.png.f84568cb7dbe64040724baf648e24d47.png

image.png.b17adee365d424e05ad6839a2d2bf731.png

image.png.63a75d1600948e14b144ec07817620ea.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

Having owned a similar (red & white) 59 Catalina Vista hardtop back in the day I feel this one's a little overpriced. It might have good bones but it's got the incorrect mirrors on it and those little stars on the sides of the rear quarters & doors shouldn't be there. The front fenders have the typical lower rust spots and the hood needs resprayed from stone abrasions (it will be difficult to match). It's got some added (emission?) hoses on the air cleaner and valve covers that it didn't have originally. In 1959 GM cars came with generators instead of alternators but I guess that doesn't really detract much. There's no spare tire and no battery hold down either and with a peeling inspection sticker it's possible the car really isn't driven very often. Make sure you lift that trunk mat and check for a solid floor next to those tire wells. Again this might be a good start for a fixer-upper but I think 8-10K might be a bit more realistic provided the mechanicals (tires, brakes, suspension) are in good working order. That figure might even be a little high but for someone in the market for a real wide-track this one's worth checking out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with 55er. I owned a 1960 Olds with a very similar roof line what I still believe looks great on this car. That having been said, the rust spots, sketchy paint a interior that needs work all together says 15K is a little over priced.  

• Like 2

The four door hardtop in flat top configuration is an amazing look that I've only started to appreciate in the last several years. Love the Kennedy campaign sticker! I'm thinking I might get a Goldwater sticker for my '61 Mercury. 😄 From what little I know, I agree with others about the price.

• Like 1

Not saying that's the case here but that "cute" Kennedy bumper sticker may be there for a reason like to hide a thin or rusted out section of the rear bumper. It's definitely a step up from the traditional three horizontal strips of silver duct tape I've seen a lot of people stick on there. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 12:33 PM, The 55er said:

Not saying that's the case here but that "cute" Kennedy bumper sticker may be there for a reason like to hide a thin or rusted out section of the rear bumper. It's definitely a step up from the traditional three horizontal strips of silver duct tape I've seen a lot of people stick on there. 

In that case, I really should've put a Goldwater sticker on my '63 Olds 88; it would've been closer in age to the '64 election AND those cars are super-notorious for rusted out rear bumpers. I had a pin hole of rust-through on mine.

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

In that case, I really should've put a Goldwater sticker on my '63 Olds 88; it would've been closer in age to the '64 election AND those cars are super-notorious for rusted out rear bumpers. I had a pin hole of rust-through on mine.

Yes those were for sure the years (63-64) for rusty rear bumpers on full-size Oldsmobiles. They were poorly designed with areas that trapped dirt & moisture but then again they weren't expected to have a lifespan of over 50+ years. I used to own both a 1963 & 1964 Dynamic 88, both were good cars. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The 55er said:

Yes those were for sure the years (63-64) for rusty rear bumpers on full-size Oldsmobiles. They were poorly designed with areas that trapped dirt & moisture but then again they weren't expected to have a lifespan of over 50+ years. I used to own both a 1963 & 1964 Dynamic 88, both were good cars. 

The bumper with the pinhole of rust I mentioned was actually a $600 replacement for the completely rusted out unit that came on my car. It was the only replacement I could find, and it was sent from California by an Olds expert who had to travel a couple hundred miles to get it. IMO, the Olds 88 and Starfire of that generation was one of the best looking GM cars of that era. I really loved the torquey 394 engines in those cars, though the slim jim tranny could've been a better design. Here's my driver level car, which I no longer own:

136889d1454039283-classic-car-truck-photo-thread-63olds.jpg

• Like 4

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Pontiac Catalina Vista Hardtop - "runs & drives well" - Aurora, CO - Not Mine - 7/31 Deleted