Small chrome repairs

RIVNIK

if your '65 grill is like mine (& my 2 spares)you may find damaged or dull chrome on the horizontal ribs adjacent to the battery. Im pretty sure this is due to decades of battery venting. This has bothered me since I've had the car since I'm not willing to fork over the dough to rechrome only to paint over most of it. I recently found a great solution.  Molotow Liquid Chrome comes in several sizes of pen type felt-tip dispenser. A bit pricey but results are truly amazing! Available on Amazon, eBay, hobby & hardware stores.

• Like 1

My bad about the lack of pics! I usually hop right on a project w/out much planning, so on the rare occasion that something turns out right I never have a before shot. & although I hate to admit it I sometimes intentionally shoot for "less than perfect" to match the rest of the car. A kind of automotive faux-antiquing you might say. (that's my story & I'm stickin to it!)

I have been happy with Simichrome since the early 1990's. I have a few others brands for various applications. I actually use NAPA chrome polish to remove rain rust tracking from paint on outdoor neglected cars. But Simichrome is the preferred polish in most instances.

Simichrome Polish (081015000506)

• Like 1

I've never used it on the car, but there is spray paint that is chrome colored.  There are also mirror "colored" spray paints as well.  

I think a spray paint would go down smoother than paint from a pen.  It might be worth trying out.

C5BE8430-FDD6-4CD7-8829-0CFFCA8743CB.jpeg.75f50353487df647112881d3ec32af1a.jpeg

This is the best that I’ve found. But it’s very labor intensive (and expensive.) Even though it’s the best that I’ve found, it still looks like spray paint. The stuff in the pen works great on small spots or scratches but not for any kind of area. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 1 month later...