Early 1930's Linn one wheel utility trailer

Does anybody know what an early 1930's Linn one wheel u can back trailer would be worth?

I am not sure how to use this forum or if this type of question is allowed.

• Like 1

I believe there is a market for these, I've only seen a couple.  Pictures would help, as condition means everything.  Location is also a factor, as a guy in New York might fall in love with it and find out you live in California.

Also, if you have any price in mind, let that be known too.

This type of trailer is extremely convenient for those who have "ISSUES" backing a conventional "Tag-along" trailer.

Sears also sold a 1-wheel version which my wife's dad used from around 1930 through the '50s and '60s. He still had it until a friend bought it usometimae after 1980. A pair of pins attached two horizontal pivots to the rear bumper, and the single tire at the rear swiveled to allow backing in a straight line with the car - never allowing a jacknife.

I still believe my father-in-law approved my dating his daughter, partially because I could back his 22ft boat and trailer between the pilings under his weekend home/fishing camp at Grand Isle, Louisiana. He initially told me that it would take about 20 - 30 moves up and back to get it in the right (very tight) place - and of course I did it in ONE-SHOT when I first visited the camp, less than 48 hours after I met him! His daughtter and I married 14 months later. During that time, I commuted from Mid-Town Manhattan, NY, to New Orleans and Grand Isle, LA every 2nd weekend. Back then, Eastern and Delta Airlines were waging a competing price war, and I would do each round trip for $99 - or as my wife now says "That was cheaper than if I had been dating girls in New York".

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)

On 7/25/2021 at 8:32 AM, McAloon said:

Does anybody know what an early 1930's Linn one wheel u can back trailer would be worth?

I am not sure how to use this forum or if this type of question is allowed.

Are you the owner ?

Are you selling it ?

Jim

Neat trailer. Not common. Built in 1929 to 1931. Value is hard to determine. It’s more a museum display piece today.If I owned it, I would use it. Period reports say they worked well. Biggest issue is it’s only in scale for a small car. It wouldn’t look right behind a V-16 Cadillac. I think it’s “what the market will bear” as far as value. My gut tells me it’s worth only a small fraction of a Mullins Red Cap unit. Best of luck with it.

The Linn trailer is tied to some interesting history. It was developed by Holman Harry (HH) Linn. Linn was born in Washburn, Maine - a small struggling farming community just a few miles from where I sit typing this. His original last name was Flannery. 

His love of music and career as musician and showman lead to he and his wife developing a popular traveling dog show that toured New England. Eventually, during the winter months when the show was closed for the season H.H. worked for Alvin Lombard at the Lombard Steam Traction Engine Company in Waterville, Maine. In the 1909 Linn commissioned Lombard to built a... well... motor home to use as a home while touring and also to tow the wagons loaded with the shows gear as it traveled from town to town. I guess you could call it one of the first Motor homes. It was even equipped with an electric generator to provide lights for the show.

oo1913_Lombard_road_train.jpg.e6f7e22c293f95cb5a092a13ca9af6ab.jpg

Following this Lombard built a smaller machine for Linn based on Lombards 1910 patent. (Lombard built a number of these units intended for farm work)

oo1915_Lombard_road_tractor.jpg.85eefed0d53f63650f3ec40ef4821981.jpg

In 1915 Linn left Lombard and settled in New York. In 1916 he founded the Linn Manufacturing Corporation and went on to develop, patent and  manufacture his own designs for a crawler type tractor with quite a bit of success. Linn tractors were very popular in the construction industry  and for snow plowing. Eventually, Linn merged with Republic Truck with both entities being absorbed by American La France. Linn himself died in a tragic plane crash in 1937. 

Here is another unique Linn vehicle - this is the 1925 Linn Haven Coach which still survives today. It was developed and used by Linn as a mobile office of sorts.

czhsddi6uxd61.jpg.a6883af4f293d6c4155da0a129322a2f.jpg

Here is a later diesel powered Linn tractor that was auctioned just a few months ago and sold for $131,250.00

15585397_0.jpg.e09c7e2213daa5304bb7876c80cb35a1.jpg

As for the Linn trailer... I believe Linn held a patent for it. Very, very neat piece of history!

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 3