Back to cars after 30+ years. Working on a 1924 Buick in Australia

Hi All. Not sure why none of my text posted. I'm excited to have found this group. Basically I like old stuff and I found this 1924 Buick in a little town in Queensland, Australia called Maryborough (the writer of Mary Poppins was born there). It started its life on a cattle station in another small town in Queensland, Australia called Longreach.

I wasn't sure what I would do with her but I figured at some point I would restore her. She is very close to running and I drove her a few times when I first got her. But I stopped driving her about 3 years ago when basically I ran into 3 problems.

1. The electric fuel pump stopped and the new pump and regulator I bought seemed to make the carb overflow (I didn't want a fire).

2. When trying to drain the radiator for a flush (on longer drives she would overheat) the drain tap broke and the radiator emptied.

3. The Diff started to leak (a lot). 

I used to work on my own cars back in the 80s when I couldn't afford a mechanic. Recently I have been doing this again because I haven't been able to find a suitable mechanic and I again have the time. But the surprise is I really like working on cars again. Partly because of the wonderful communities you can now find on the net.

It's my intention now, to enjoy getting the Buick back into good enough mechanical condition to take her to some club days and events and then  gradually restore her to her former glory.

I know I can't contribute much yet but hopefully I can learn from all the knowledge here and eventually be able to help others and their old cars. 

Here are some pics. 

• Like 5

The car should not be run on an electric fuel pump. You have a vacuum tank that supplies fuel at almost zero pressure. The float can’t hold pack the much higher pressure of the electric pump. Just put it back to stock and the fuel system will be fine. Electric pumps on early cars often cause fires and loss of the car. You were correct to stop using it. Just search Stewart Warner vacuum tank here and you will see lots of information. Kits to rebuild it can be easily purchased for little money. If your missing parts just buy a und one off eBay or advertise here.......watch out for scammers. The petcock is simple just replace it......you may need you to pull the radiator.......if so, take it to a shop and have it flushed and flow tested. As for the rear end, they usually don’t leak as bad as you described. Photos of location and more information would help. It’s a nice car, and lots of fun when properly sorted to make it reliable. Take you time, ask questions, people here are helpful. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ben is correct.....I should have welcomed you also......I apologize.........been short of sleep lately. 

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. @edinmass cheers for the advice. First order of events will be restoring that old vacuum tank. Just by suggesting I search "Stewart Warner vacuum tank" you sent me down a rabbit hole for the evening. I will try to post pictures of most things I do to the car so member's can follow along if they wish.

• Like 1

ribama:

Welcome to our Buick world!

Lots of help here. edmass is the man for doing things correctly. The vacuum tank you show in your photos may be for an earlier car. I am pretty sure the 1924 4 cylinder cars use the same as my 1925 Standard 6. Stewart 215-A Someone can check who has a 1924 Book of Parts.DSCF2639.JPG.6cd9233d1c9adb2f369fd2c80b82a1b1.JPG

Unless it is an export variation.

ribama:

I thought there was a photo of the 4 cyl engine in the 1924 catalog but only images were of the 6.

Here is a photo of the 1924-35.  Left Hand Drive. It shows a vacuum tank similar to yours mounted on the manifolds.

hqdefault.jpg.4b2482893de3a5926736ea9b7ada45a9.jpg

I am sure others will chime in on your project.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)

20 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

ribama:

I thought there was a photo of the 4 cyl engine in the 1924 catalog but only images were of the 6.

Here is a photo of the 1924-35.  Left Hand Drive. It shows a vacuum tank similar to yours mounted on the manifolds.

hqdefault.jpg.4b2482893de3a5926736ea9b7ada45a9.jpg

I am sure others will chime in on your project.

Thanks for your reply. The vacuum tank on my car (although it was disconnected) was mounted in the same position as on the car in your pic. Below I have attached  a pic of the mount with the vacuum tank removed but beside it. It fits perfectly. I'm no expert but I would say that the mount is original and made for  the vacuum pump that was attached to it.  What I particularly like about my vacuum pump (and this may not be original, is the glass inspection bowl at the bottom. Inside the bowl there seems to be some sort of filtration gauze. It has of course deteriorated and I wonder if it can still be bought.

I think the reason I like it so much is that it reminds me of the glass inspection points that used to be on all the old petrol bowsers when I was a kid. I would love to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of these. It looks like the bowl is just held in place by the pressure exerted by the bottom screw which clamps the glass bowl against the housing. If I don't hear from anyone I will unclamp it and soak it in hot water to see if it will come apart.  

What is the best way to document this project here? Should I start a new thread? I have removed the radiator and it is off to be repaired. I want to post pics but not sure if I'm in the right section.

Thanks everyone.

IMG_7032.JPG

IMG_7033.JPG

Edited by ribama (see edit history)

ribama:

I can see that indeed the vacuum tank is correct for your car. The fuel filter bowl is a very common device. May just need cleaned and a new gasket. There are many out there. Some have a stone filter element. 

DSCF2651.JPG.23c612b86da3136a507cc536fe3b6d8c.JPG 

Example of a glass bowl filter below a tank on a 1926-45A.

If it has a round brass screen placed flat up inside that can be made I have lots of screen! I did my Fuel tank pick up and carb bowl filters.

DSCF7181.JPG.14ec7bd9ffffd4f1643df90a63bab5c6.JPG  DSCF8689.JPG.57ae9ebf40efcc05c08858fb8978731b.JPG  DSCF8687.JPG.a108f453d49f825cd6babf7a2b9e8317.JPG

As to starting another thread. I would move things to the Pre War Buick site or Me and My Buic. I think you will find more help on the Pre-War.

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)

Thanks for the pics and advice Larry. I will attempt a disassembly and post my progress. 

Amazingly I searched brass mesh after your advice and I easily found someone selling it on eBay.

I was sure it would be coming from the USA but they are actually 25 meters from the front door of my work.  I've attached a pic from their site.

1295089612_Screenshot2021-08-01at4_30_01pm.png.85be9bc791d61a74740e3dec928983be.png1270589050_Screenshot2021-08-01at4_28_23pm.png.8e26152ae958cb63e554ae49a34c489a.png

Wow ! That is great that it is so close!  I ordered mine from McMaster-Carr here in the USA. It was about the same price as yours. The problem with my experience is that they shipped the 12" square sheet in a large box. It was already packaged in a stout carboard package. A bit heavier that a 12" LP record album

mailer. That was placed in a 10"X 14"X 18" box. It cost more to ship than the cost of the item!

If you have not done so already worth joining the Buick Qld Club https://buickcarclubaustralia.com/

Each AU state has an independent club. No AU wide national club

And sign up for the (free) AU Buick pre-war e-magazine. https://buickcarclubaustralia.com/aussie-pre-war-buicks/

• 3 months later...

Join the prewar Buick club of Qld. Best thing I ever did for local knowledge and contacts. This forum has been a god send as well. So much knowledge at hand. I have a 38 sloper and Buick club members have been an invaluable asset and would be lost with out them. Also a great club for who has got spare parts or access too.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1