For Sale: 1977 Chrysler Cordoba - "must see to appreciate" - Brawley, CA - Not Mine

For sale on Craigslist: 1977 Chrysler Cordoba 2-dr Hardtop in Brawley, CA  -  $10,000  -  No phone # provided.  Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to:  5a2175c6a9183cf9bf85e2725b57f98d@sale.craigslist.org

Link: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/brawley-chrysler-cordoba/7353933409.html

Seller's Description:

1977 Chrysler Cordoba 2-dr Hardtop

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 33,000
  • paint color: brown
  • title status: clean

less than 33,000 original miles

• new tags
  • 360 four barrel
  • new carburetor
  • new tires
  • new gearbox
  • new power steering pump
  • excellent interior
  • great paint
  • must see to appreciate

Great looking car

image.png.0bdc5c358df0bf6b98f849b20af0fef7.png

image.png.3682b07b84b3397c36cbf51731e570b7.png

image.png.37d151c9a4eb6988c3a1f28ba454e6d8.png

image.png.6589b50ab455f3ba06ea14323b3a4bef.png

image.png.9168cff11b68bb34ff178cd3edf4c025.png

image.png.f19a5d09bf2396182ec8cb67976e1018.png

• Like 1

I think there’s an engine under the hood, you just have to remove a few miles of hoses and wires to find it.  Amazing how much under the hood jumble there was back then.  The outside of the car looks great.

Back when I was young and broke my dad was helping me out and bought me a green 77 with the funky interior. Supposedly a low mileage car but after the 3rd time I had it towed I sold it and gave me dad his money back.  Maybe the worst car I ever owned.

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

Back when I was young and broke my dad was helping me out and bought me a green 77 with the funky interior. Supposedly a low mileage car but after the 3rd time I had it towed I sold it and gave me dad his money back.  Maybe the worst car I ever owned.

AJ: 

Workmanship and reliability of Mopars hit a low in the 1970's rivaling the 1957-'58 models.  A garage operator friend had a steady flow of loyal Mopar customers bringing their cars to him to somehow repair the shortcoming issuing from the factories.   Chrysler lost many loyal customers after their experiences with those cars.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ: 

Workmanship and reliability of Mopars hit a low in the 1970's rivaling the 1957-'58 models.  A garage operator friend had a steady flow of loyal Mopar customers bringing their cars to him to somehow repair the shortcoming issuing from the factories.   Chrysler lost many loyal customers after their experiences with those cars.  

Steve,  that car was the biggest disparity between the way it looked and the way it ran I have ever seen in my life.   What a POS.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve,  that car was the biggest disparity between the way it looked and the way it ran I have ever seen in my life.   What a POS.

AJ: 

Too many formerly loyal Mopar buyer discovered that fact to their dismay.   I recall seeing a 12K miles original '77 New Yorker Brougham with unbelievably poor workmanship in all aspects of that car.  The owner revealed they finally thought they had cured all the functional and drivability issues it had after two years of trying!  But, the car looked magnificent setting still!

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The owner revealed they finally thought they had cured all the functional and drivability issues it had after two years of trying! 

On 7/25/2021 at 11:05 AM, alsancle said:

...Maybe the worst car I ever owned.

Can anyone list the problems encountered with 1970's Chryslers?

I've always admired the 1974-75 Imperials and the identical

1976-78 New Yorkers, but maybe I shouldn't aspire to own one.

Consumer Reports in 1980 reported that the '74 Imperial's reliability

record was pretty good;  but things went downhill from there.

I know the later "Lean Burn" engine system can be by-passed;

but I suspect the problems are more than that.

I'd like to learn.

John:

Just about any aspect of those cars could be terrible dependent upon the push of management and the attitude of the line workers in the factory the day it was built.   The survivors now most likely are the better cars that weren't junked early out of frustration with the myriad problems.  As low production as the 1974-'75 Imperials are, they should be better than the later New York Brougham version which sold in substantial numbers.  

• Like 2

The only thing wrong with that car is it was a Chrysler product from the 70s. 

in 1983 I paid $45 for mine. Had about 80,000 miles on it. I didn’t like it then. Sold it to my next-door neighbor. It actually worked out well because he never spoke to me again. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 3

Mom had a car almost identical to that one, only hers had different wheel covers and leather interior. Dad traded a rusted out 76 olds 98 on it. Yes the olds was a year old and full of rust. I think that was the last gm car he had for quite awhile. I always thought they were stylish and elegant. Dont remember them having any problems, but at the time he traded in about every 2 years.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Can anyone list the problems encountered with 1970's Chryslers?

I've always admired the 1974-75 Imperials and the identical

1976-78 New Yorkers, but maybe I shouldn't aspire to own one.

Consumer Reports in 1980 reported that the '74 Imperial's reliability

record was pretty good;  but things went downhill from there.

I know the later "Lean Burn" engine system can be by-passed;

but I suspect the problems are more than that.

I'd like to learn.

My issues may have been specific to my car, but I had 3 separate incidents where the car had to be towed.   One was ignition, I forget the other 2.   The thing is, the car looked like a cream puff.  I only drove it for about 6 months.

Hmmm, I remember the following: (1) ballast resistor failures, (2) "Lean Burn" issues and (3) "hardware" problems (i.e. stuff loosening-up and falling off, breaking and falling off, or loosening-up, breaking and then falling off)...

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 2:32 PM, EmTee said:

Hmmm, I remember the following: (1) ballast resistor failures, (2) "Lean Burn" issues and (3) "hardware" problems (i.e. stuff loosening-up and falling off, breaking and falling off, or loosening-up, breaking and then falling off)...

Not sure that issue has been fixed yet!  Dad had a ram cummins diesel. Motor would run forever as long as everything stayed bolted in place!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1