Help, what make and vintage is this transmission

alsfarms

Ed, Do you have a picture out of a White manual that could be compared with the pictures above.  Did White automobiles use a progressive transmission into the '20's?  I surely think that White would have moved to selective.

Al

I will post a photo of my 1917 White transmission. It’s a dual disk clutch, four speed, third is direct and fourth is over drive. It has a crazy shift pattern which I will also post.

1        4

2        3.      R

Makes for crazy driving.

4A8B2586-173E-4A27-8176-81EA31336674.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

From a few books that I have. White Motor Cars and a Parts Book for the model 15 and Model B15 Truck. The model 15 was built from 1915 until 1925. The B15 started in 1926. It appears 1930 was the last year it was produced and it seems it did share parts with the earlier model 15. White motor car images first. I would say the book is mid teens as the cars are left hand drive. The model 30 White car was basically the same engine and it appears the same transmission as my model 15 truck. 

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Also, from the White Motor car book, So you may grasp the way it shifts and still has 4 forward gears and a reverse. It is a gate shift transmission. Not a Progressive type. From the parts book. Direct 4th was optional. Standard was over drive. My truck has direct in forth as it stands to reason you would not want over drive with a solid rubber tire type truck. Dandy Dave!  

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

• Like 1

Hey Ed, Your White was made for dating.  It gets the shift lever out of the way of your dates knees when in roadgear.  How lucky are you.  When I take the 5 speed for a spin with my wife she complains that I keep banging her knees!

Al

• Haha 1

Dave, I had assumed that with the inline shift pattern the shown transmission must be progressive.  The picture you showed how the gate works.... what an improvement!  Do you know if there is anyway  to determine, from the outside, if the forth gear is overdriven or direct?

Al

Yes. You can tell it is overdrive if the shifter works and you can turn the shafts. High in an over drive is left and forward like the model 30 and 40 is pictured. High in a direct unit will be back like the 6 Cylinder model 60 is. The input is where the pulley is on the trans as this had a brake pad to stop or slow down the trans when shifting. Rotate the front shaft with the transmission in forward and left position. If the output is less that the input on a full turn of input then that would be third gear. If the output is more than the input on a full turn then that will be over drive. If you cannot turn the transmission then you would need to take the wing nut cover off and look at the size of the gears and determine that from the parts diagrams I included. The early Whites do have an odd shift pattern. Ed's car is a very special car and the components seem to be only for that model. The other earlier run of the mill cars were built with component's built like the Trucks. Your transmission could be a late as 1930 and from a B15. Get the  stamped number off of the front motor mount horn. If that is the same as the serial of the vehicle we may be able to pin down a year. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The main difference between the truck and car transmission is the cars were cast aluminum.  You can tell is it is overdrive from a stamping on the front mount (that horn shaped part) it should have a 3D or 4D stamped in it.  3Dis a transmission with 3rd 1 to1 and 4th overdrive. If 4D 4th is 1to1 or direct.  The gears will drop right into a car transmission.  The TBC cast letters are the model of truck it was in.  White used two shift patterns, R,1 & 2 are always the same.  Reverse is in front of first, the gear goes thru first gear then into reverse and back into first, sort of a safety feature.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Dave the car book you posted is a 1912 or 1913 as they went to a standard transmission/bell housing type wet clutch in 1914 on all the cars. Also, the car shifting pattern is flipped from the trucks....

1.     4

2     3      R

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Dave the car book you posted is a 1912 or 1913 as they went to a standard transmission/bell housing type wet clutch in 1914 on all the cars. Also, the car shifting pattern is flipped from the trucks....

1.     4

2     3      R

Thanks Ed. I wondered what Year the book was. My thought was it was early. I did notice your shift pattern was different. More food for thought on these one-off Whites. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 7:10 PM, edinmass said:

I will post a photo of my 1917 White transmission. It’s a dual disk clutch, four speed, third is direct and fourth is over drive. It has a crazy shift pattern which I will also post.

1        4

2        3.      R

Makes for crazy driving.

4A8B2586-173E-4A27-8176-81EA31336674.png

Original dual stick!