Towing with a '63 Skylark convertible

On 7/24/2021 at 12:21 PM, mcscilipoti said:

I want to buy a classic light weight camping trailer, maybe 4000 lbs.  Is anyone aware of a source for air shocks, trans cooler, trailer hitch, front disc brakes for my '63 Skylark?

You might want to check to see if your Skylark has a transmission cooler.  The '63 Skylark that I had I believe if I remember correctly had an air cooled transmission.  Finned converter to cool the transmission.  Might not be able to tow a trailer with it.  You should check the towing capabilities for the car before you start towing.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 12:21 PM, mcscilipoti said:

trailer hitch,

Sir, I have a chrome trailer hitch that is metal stamped  " 65 Riviera". The trailer hitch showed up in a box lot I bought at a vintage Buick auction. I think the ball hitch is 1 7/8" or 2". I feel confident it is an engineer Buick approved accessory. What I don't know is if it will fit. You say it's it a SkyLark so measuring will have to take place. If you are interested just PM me and we'll take it from there.

Turbinator

Chances are - a passenger car vehicle built

54 years ago was not designed to be a towing platform for a 4000 pound trailer.

A tow vehicle has to incorporate engine horsepower & torque along with differential gearing - combined with transmission torque & cooling - brake capacity - etc ….

It is an engineered complete design that

has to safely tow and stop under control

a suitable load that is being pulled.

Jim

DFA493CF-37F2-436E-A394-059E779C7EFB.jpeg.47f493d1c188208bbf788278c91f4cd6.jpeg