PA vibration

broker-len

1932 PA  all original restored    any faster  then 40 get a vibration  hit clutch goes away    thought it may be fan blade   trued it up as well as I can with motor in car    not much better   -----could it be the crank that they added counter weights for the PB model---------ANY IDEAS ?

Plymouth C.JPG

thanks for responding    I am running the original PA crank with no modifications  just would like to know if this is normal for my motor   though I do have a PB crank it is part of our dining room decor    have no plans to change the crank shaft in the motor

crank.gif

• Like 1

The PA was the first year with floating power and was advertised for how smooth it was. . . Seems like something is wrong but not being an expert I don’t have any suggestions to offer on how to chase down and isolate the problem.

I don't get that with my stock PA.  50 thousand original miles.    I've hit 50( for a short time) with no major engine vibration.  Got the "death wobble "  once at a lower speed.     Scary.

mine has always had a vibration above 40. But I need change motor mounts -- the older owners always told me it will help on that if you change over to the PB crank .

I would think that is true or the PB would not have the up grade and cost of the balanced crank. 

so at this point I would check all location that the motor could transfer vibration to the frame -- motor mounts - cross spring from bellhousing to the frame for any metal to metal contact.

what's left over I would say is normal as stock.

Posted (edited)

I could hit 50 but it just is not comfortable for me or the car  the vibration is slight which make a low rumble   my motor mounts are new    never got the wheel wobble ,,,,just had them off and repainted did not balance them but the king pins are tight and new tie rods---but there is no where that the block or trans is bolted directly to frame------------strange

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

check the rubber bushing on the lateral leaf spring -attaches at the frame. hard rubber/ wears out. replaced mine. bought a rubber bumper 18 wheelers have on their trailers ( hits the dock)at NAPA. carved it out.

Instead of stepping on the clutch, what happens when you let off the gas? If it smooths out then I'd say your drive-shaft needs to be checked out. I replaced the original drive shaft in my 30 DeSoto and it made a difference.