AACA National Meet

I'm looking to register my 60 Electra at Hershey this year. Studying the classes to enter my Buick untouched/molested(other than seat belts added) she will still need to registered in the driver class?  There is quite list of changes to a car that puts them in the diver class.   Paint, radial tires, improved brakes, etc.   I guess there needs to be a line drawn that puts one car from the preservation class to driver class.  I venture to one item added, seat belts, pushed the Buick to Driver class?      

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I'm looking to register my 60 Electra at Hershey this year. Studying the classes to enter my Buick untouched/molested(other than seat belts added) she will still need to registered in the driver class?  There is quite list of changes to a car that puts them in the diver class.   Paint, radial tires, improved brakes, etc.   I guess there needs to be a line drawn that puts one car from the preservation class to driver class.  I venture to one item added, seat belts, pushed the Buick to Driver class?      

What's your goal?

Have a nice time, maybe win something? Go HPOF and enjoy an amazing showfield.

Have a nice time and the car is the trophy and meet some great people and enjoy an amazing showfield. Go Driven Class.

If you really don't care about awards and want to park with cars of a similar age, go display only in your normal class.

But in so far as driven versus HPOF car should be fine in either based on your description. But for me personally my advice would be go HPOF. You will be parked with other survivor cars. 

Either way it's an amazing show and you will enjoy having your car on the field as it is special to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

What's your goal?

Have a nice time, maybe win something? Go HPOF and enjoy an amazing showfield.

Have a nice time and the car is the trophy and meet some great people and enjoy an amazing showfield. Go Driven Class.

If you really don't care about awards and want to park with cars of a similar age, go display only in your normal class.

But in so far as driven versus HPOF car should be fine in either based on your description. But for me personally my advice would be go HPOF. You will be parked with other survivor cars. 

Either way it's an amazing show and you will enjoy having your car on the field as it is special to do so.

Thanks! Going HPOF.  The Buick is a 38000 mile survivor. 

• Like 2

Chris, I put my 1980 Cadillac in HPOF at Auburn. You have made a good choice.  It’s easy with a car like yours. That will also give you a good chance to look over the other cars once judging is done.
the only disadvantage is HPOF is called toward the end of the award banquet but it goes quickly. Drivers class is after HPOF though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Chris, I put my 1980 Cadillac in HPOF at Auburn. You have made a good choice.  It’s easy with a car like yours. That will also give you a good chance to look over the other cars once judging is done.
the only disadvantage is HPOF is called toward the end of the award banquet but it goes quickly. Drivers class is after HPOF though.

Bill is correct for most AACA Nationals but...

2 notes specific to HPOF at Hershey.

It's a HUGE class at Hershey. I'd guess near or over 100 cars just in that class, so unlike at Auburn you may not be done with judging quite so quickly. I would venture to guess they have multiple judging teams for the class but that's me speculating.

At Hershey awards banquet the one time I went they picked a random class to start from so HPOF may not be at "the end". Someone that's been to more can explain how they do it, but it is unique.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Thanks! Going HPOF.  The Buick is a 38000 mile survivor. 

You made the right decision.

HPOF is for unrestored cars - Historic Preservation of Original Features

DPC is for cars with period-acceptable non-factory modifications - Driver Participation Class

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

You made the right decision.

HPOF is for unrestored cars - Historic Preservation of Original Features

DPC is for cars with period-acceptable non-factory modifications - Driver Participation Class

Thanks Marty.  I have registered HPOF.  Check and registration is on it's way!   Concerning the awards banquet, I may be able to attend and possibly not.  I did not include the banquet in my registration as a result.  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

On 7/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Thanks Marty.  I have registered HPOF.  Check and registration is on it's way!   Concerning the awards banquet, I may be able to attend and possibly not.  I did not include the banquet in my registration as a result.  

Chris, even if you later find that you are available, there "MAY" still be banquet tickets available - or others who registered may have a change of plans, offering you tickets.

... and if attending and eating at the banquet is not open to you, you can still be there to receive any awards for your car.

• Like 1