For Sale: 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado - "as close to mint condition as it gets" - Philadelphia, PA - Not Mine - 8/25 Reduced - 9/2 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado 4-door Sedan in Philadelphia, PA  -  $14,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 8/25, Seller reduced price to $11,000

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/929466747616287/1955-DeSoto-Fireflite-Coronado

Seller's Description:

1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado 4-door Sedan

• Excellent condition
  • Driven 1,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Turquoise · Interior color: Turquoise
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

Definitely not a Buick. This is a 1955 Desoto in as close to mint condition as it gets. Has a clean title. All original (well kept) chrome. Engine starts up with no problem. Drives great. Both front and back breaks work great. It even has power windows! And to top it all off it just happens to include the optional after market (but still color coordinated of course) 7&1/4in vinyl record player. This thing is an absolute peach! Come check it out.

image.png.5b48bdac93cff597e54667e3f975512b.png 

image.png.84e7b504c344842d4d3fb863aca30b2a.png

image.png.a97475c04319eff9fb0983fb413204f2.png

image.png.87efc3d3769c468cfa19074b78cbe5e6.png

image.png.fc7f3d2da9563a75ceb750d0777f6cd3.png

image.png.6288212c132fc36caaaafcb851146748.png

image.png.a5f64a868cf38ea831b9f30d76d256c4.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Very very nice. That said I can’t help but wonder what is the situation with the right front door?  Just not closed all the way or?

I am guessing quality control issues. My all original 50 Chrysler has a wonky trunk lid that you can't adjust to be aligned because the clearances on the one side running top to bottom get wider while the drivers side top to bottom, across the top and bottom, are near perfect. The original paint on my 53 Plymouth has so much orange peel in it it looks like it was painted in shop class.

• Like 1

Beautiful car, though I can't quite figure out what the seller's quip, "Definitely not a Buick" is supposed to mean. ("Definitely" stated as "Diffidently" in the ad...which is even more confusing.)

So do you all interpret the ad to mean that it's 1000 miles since restoration, or an original car that's 1000 miles since new? If the latter, it really would be a great acquisition.

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado - "as close to mint condition as it gets" - Philadelphia, PA - Not Mine - 8/25 Reduced
On 7/24/2021 at 10:12 AM, JamesR said:

Beautiful car, though I can't quite figure out what the seller's quip, "Definitely not a Buick" is supposed to mean. ("Definitely" stated as "Diffidently" in the ad...which is even more confusing.)

This seems to be a reference to the fact that the banner on the ad refers to a "1955 Buick Buick Cascada."

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, JamesR said:

So do you all interpret the ad to mean that it's 1000 miles since restoration, or an original car that's 1000 miles since new? If the latter, it really would be a great acquisition.

Looks like someone took a belt sander to the brake pedal!!!

• Like 1

This is all guesswork & conjecture on my part as I haven't listed a car for sale in years but "Definitely not a Buick" might have something to do with what available terminology you have to select from to list an item for sale on a website. You can't proceed with your listing unless you pick a word that the site has available to you. Possibly the word DESOTO wasn't available so the seller selected BUICK (a far more common car) because that word was available to use. He figured a Desoto was kinda similar to a Buick and that would be as close he could get.  Each selling website might be different and some might allow you to use whatever word you want. Seller (or an acquaintance of his) who was listing his car for sale on another site just copied his instructions verbatum and so it reads the same now on whatever site it's advertised whether it makes sense or not. Again, I'm just guessing here but that might explain the Buick reference in this Desoto ad. 

On 8/28/2021 at 9:18 AM, The 55er said:

This is all guesswork & conjecture on my part as I haven't listed a car for sale in years but "Definitely not a Buick" might have something to do with what available terminology you have to select from to list an item for sale on a website. You can't proceed with your listing unless you pick a word that the site has available to you. Possibly the word DESOTO wasn't available so the seller selected BUICK (a far more common car) because that word was available to use.

And ... the gold star goes to @The 55er!  I had only gotten as far as noticing that the ad identifies the car as a "1955 Buick Buick Cascada."  I hadn't questioned how the misidentification had occurred.  After reading 55er's post above, I went on the Facebook Marketplace site and clicked on "create new listing."  You are absolutely correct.  There's a drop down menu for the make of the car you are offering for sale, and DeSoto is not on it.  Probably because some robot at Facebook figured that the only cars that could be for sale are the ones that are currently being manufactured!  Anyhow, mystery solved.

PS: Yes, I have a FB account which I opened under a pseudonym so I could see family photos that were being posted by various relatives.  That way I can avoid being tracked down by some classmate from Kindergarten who wants to get together with me.  But don't tell Zuckerberg -- he thinks that there's some kind of enforceable requirement that you use your real name! 🙃

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 2:06 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I didn't realize that. Thank you.

There was one of these stored in the basement of the Bayport (MN) garage for many years. The middle color was dark green and the roof color was the lighter green. It is still somewhere around the St. Croix Valley showing up at local car shows periodically. It is a spring time special edition Coronado, I have seen the original sales invoice.

• Like 3

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado - "as close to mint condition as it gets" - Philadelphia, PA - Not Mine - 8/25 Reduced - 9/2 SOLD!