Is one of these more of a thrill than a "J" , or a fancy pants late model "supercar "? Remember this is a 50 year old car.

I like Ed's attitude regarding the use of well maintained , superb condition Classic Era " Greats ". I am not so sure about his fairly recent infatuation with new supercars. To me these are the real " Supercars ". You know , the ones Bruce McLaren actually designed, built and drove. Not the current , cash in on a name versions.

Hang on , and enjoy. At least we are not paying the tire bills.

P.S. , anyone who can drive one of these " like you stole it " is made of much sterner stuff than 99.9% of us.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

COME ON! It's footage from a video game. If you can't tell the diff, don't post it. First clue - it sounded TOO good. Second clue - look next to the "track", not the car. The landscape is all grainy. The Third clue - I used to watch CanAm racing in the day, and you NEVER saw brakes glowing red.

Edited by Studemax (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I must admit I was puzzled about the brake glow myself, but I was thinking some sort of new ceramic pads. Seen quite a few Can Am cars myself, but I was watching the car, not the track shots. And I know less than 0 about video games. But yes, I will be much more careful in the future.

11's , 19's , 23's And Lola Mk1's are all very fine cars. I would probably own one if they hadn't become so sky high expensive over the last 30 years.

But the big V8 cars are in a class of their own. I have seen them in action many times over the last 45 years at various vintage events.

My Lola is just a later 1970's Sports 2000 , the best compromise I could make between cost , ease of maintenance and driving experience. Also I actually fit into it reasonably comfortably. The older cars like Lotus 11's are a very tight fit for my 6'2" height even if I could afford one. Early Lola's are even smaller in the seating area. Not much more than go kart's really.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Its all good Staver, I watched it twice, just thought everything looked too perfect, I wasnt completely sure it was a game or not. I havent played a video game since Pong!

I was watching an F1 race on tv last year. I hate to admit but I was into it for a good 20 minutes before I realized it was a video game. My 9 yo grandson watches people play games on utube, personally I dont understand the thrill/enjoyment of watching someone else play.

A little history on the car;

The Ruf CTR had its first appearance in April 1987 at the "World's Fastest Cars" contest held by American car magazine Road & Track where it was designated "The Fastest Production Car in the World". It accelerated from 0-60 mph in 4.0 seconds, 0-100 mph in 7.3 seconds, 0–200 km/h in 10.5 seconds, 14 mile in 11.7 seconds at 133.5 mph (215 km/h) and reached a top speed of 211 mph (340 km/h), beating the competition by 10 mph (16 km/h). Editor Paul Frère shouted "This is faster than I've ever gone in my life!" during a ride.[10][13][12]

In 1988, Auto Motor und sport organized a high speed test at Nardò Ring where the Ruf CTR was the fastest reaching 342 km/h (213 mph), surpassing a Porsche 959 s (339 km/h (211 mph)), two Ferrari F40s (321 km/h (199 mph) each) and a Mercedes AMG 6.0 32V (288 km/h (179 mph)). At one point it achieved an unofficial 346 km/h (215 mph).[7][13]

Below is the description of the above video I provided.

In 1989, test driver Stefan Roser drove the CTR around the Nürburgring. The laps were captured on camera and released by Ruf in a video called "Faszination on the Nürburgring" which became famous. Car & Driver called it groundbreaking, enthralling and influential and for Top Gear it's the best and most exciting lap for watching.[5][14]

In 2004, an old Ruf CTR was able to keep up with new sports cars like the Porsche Carrera GT, the Enzo Ferrari and the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren at the Autocar 0-100-0 challenge and impressed the audience,[6] so did another one - with more than 100,000 kilometers on its odometer - at the Road & Track standing mile contest 2005. Steve Millen, after testing a CTR, stated: "That thing's a blast. It accelerates hard. It's a real old-school car with a lot of torque and power. Just awesome. What a rush. It pulled the whole way through."

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)