Is it safe to use portable jump starter on a classic car?

Wonder if those tiny size jump starter can really apply on my 1967 Jaguar E-Type. Takes forever to get engine started and I wonder if portable jump starter can help.

r/whatcarshouldIbuy - Is It Necessary to have a Portable Jump Starter Pack in your Vehicle?

That thought came from an email talking about fanttik t8 apex jump start pack which I have never heard. Did look it up online https://fanttik.com/pages/t8-apex-overview ,the website looks neat tho.

It says pretty much works on any Vehicle up to 8.5L gas and it works as a 65W fast charge power bank as well. Got flashlight on it and some other features. Is it worth to buy? I mean for a jump start pack it seems pretty small, does it really work?

Do you work for the company? 😉

I carry a different brand in my truck.   Every few months it needs to be put back on the charger as it will read 100% but you won't get a lot of spins out of it.

However,  if your jag is setup right it should start fine with a standard battery.    You should start a technical thread and ask for help,  or go to jaglovers.com and do it there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was tempting to buy one of those small jump starters but the buy in for what seems like a decent one is around $100. Im not cheap, and would gladly pay the amount if I knew they were what they advertised. The ones Im talking about are not much bigger than a cell phone. I know a person that uses one on a newish honda (you think they would find the root cause of the dead battery but thats a whole diff story) and swears by the thing. Also they say they can sit for months and still be effective. Anyone use these kind of things and have a good recommendation?  I carry cables in all my vehicles but the last time I needed a jump it was like pulling teeth to find someone to help out. 

A few years ago I bought a Black and Decker jump pack and that thing is crap. 

Well, it wasn't a car for sale still sitting on the trailer they dragged it home on. Marketing is a great sport.

I'm getting the Rodeo song stuck in my head again.

6 hours ago, Nevermore said:

Wonder if those tiny size jump starter can really apply on my 1967 Jaguar E-Type. Takes forever to get engine started and I wonder if portable jump starter can help.

r/whatcarshouldIbuy - Is It Necessary to have a Portable Jump Starter Pack in your Vehicle?

That thought came from an email talking about fanttik t8 apex jump start pack which I have never heard. Did look it up online https://fanttik.com/pages/t8-apex-overview ,the website looks neat tho.

It says pretty much works on any Vehicle up to 8.5L gas and it works as a 65W fast charge power bank as well. Got flashlight on it and some other features. Is it worth to buy? I mean for a jump start pack it seems pretty small, does it really work?

OK, tell us about your Jag first. This forum will be better solving your problem than recommending the product. 

Terry

This is link spam. It is super common and probably automated. Now you know what it looks like. It is usually removed by the moderators before you see it unless you are on the forum late at night. This one is a new thread, but a really common tactic seems to be to post as a response to an old dead thread at 2 or 3 AM, and hope it gets buried before the moderators notice so the links stay up for future searches. There probably isn't even a human never mind a Jaguar. This is the first post of this particular type I have seen come through on these forums with a photo.

I don't know if the originator of this post is looking to advertise the unit he is picturing or if it's spam or not. If he is seriously asking about a starter pack then I would recommend purchasing one. I have a unit made by a company called Brightech. It came with several adapters for different applications and for cell phone charging. I have used it at a car show to start someones car with a dead battery and the car started right up. It's about the size of a large book and is easily stored in your car. It could be a lifesaver in case you are stuck with a dead battery.

Spam or not, but one does come in handy. I have one made by BEATIT. Other than jump starting 12V batteries it has a flashlight and two USB charging ports. The charge in it lasts for months and even with a 50% charge in it, it will start a dead battery . Even though I taught her how to maintain a battery (add distilled water if needed, remove and clean terminals), I gave one to my daughter so she doesn't have to ask a stranger for a jump (she has cables) or wait somewhere for AAA to show up. It gives me peace of mind.

As a 'used-to-was-an-engineer', I have never liked any of these handy dandy compact built in battery and jumper things. Electrical power is a lot more complicated than a few volts and an unsupported Watts measurement. 

The truth is, that these units can and often do work well. Whether they WILL work well or not depends upon numerous factors, including the failed (?) battery's actual condition? Just exactly how dead is the failed (?) battery? By the way, those two things are two entirely DIFFERENT things!

(Started writing this three hours ago, got interrupted.) (Actually surprised it is still here?)

Because I feel this thread is questionable, and may likely be pulled at any time? I don't think I will spend much more time going into more details about the pros and cons of these 'jumper' things.

About a month ago, I noticed someone in a shopping center parking lot obviously having trouble starting their car. I pulled up nearby, and asked if they needed any help, and was told "I have it under control! I have one of those portable jumpers!" I replied "I'll just sit and see if it works okay?" Two minutes later I jump started their car with my car and cables. Their car with their battery was turning it over, barely, yet the portable jumper still didn't have quite enough added power to start their car. That is the problem with them. They are designed to give a higher voltage shock to the battery, but lack enough actual power to give a real charge. Sometimes they will work. Sometimes they will not. 

The other thing I would be concerned about? Is that higher voltage shock might damage your battery, or even your car's electrical system. Without knowing a lot of specifications about the unit. That sort of thing is difficult to predict.

In addition, whatever the car's electrical issue causing starting problems? It should be diagnosed and repaired. If the battery has failed (there are many types of failures!)? The battery should be replaced.

• Like 1

I did smell a rat right off the bat with the original post.

However,  this is a worthwhile discussion and we should have a real thread on it.

For modern cars the small jump packs are much more convenient than cables.     And if I'm driving around in one of my 12 volt cars I try to remember to carry one.

At a minimum they are great for charging your phone to call for help.

Only let me down once,  pack had not been charged in 6 months,  spun the car over enough to start it once, but when the car died again there wasn't enough juice left to do it again.

Jump boxes of any kind will ruin a Optima or Odyssey battery immediately.  If you are running one of these batteries in a original looking case you do not want to use a jump box the high voltage will destroy the battery.  All the original look battery mfg will warn you of this problem.  

A few years ago I was tasked with starting 30 or 40 cars that had been sitting for varied periods of time in a large showroom.

Most of them had stale gas and dead batteries. They wanted me to get them driving for an online dealer that wanted out in the sun photos.

It was a 'Classic' dealership in Salt Lake City.

I came in green, didn't know any body there but was on a mission.

They had three of those small jumper thingies.

All three were charged up when I got there.

I was surprisingly impressed with those things, having three made my job much easier as I could use one a few times, plug it in and grab the next one.

So I bought one a year or so ago. Haven't needed it yet.

Oh yea, I got all but one of those cars to run over a two or three day period. (memory loss)

The last one had some kind of later fuel injection that I didn't know anything about.