Riv 63 exterior mirror

Michel Riv63

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

So, no Driver's Outside rear view mirror, how about that!

One of the reasons I'm into 1st generation Rivieras is that they are usually well appointed with options during an era when 2BBl 283 V8s and powerglides prevailed.

A few years back, I've seen a '64 Riviera with a 2 BBL nailhead in a wrecking yard. Even on a sunny day, I had trouble making out the engine stampings. Did not have a wire brush. I did take pictures as best as I could and the cowl tag. If original, peculiar!

Probably modified in the 70's in an effort to navigate through the gas crisis 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a loaded 64 with a driver's remote mirror from the factory.  I'm finding I miss having a passenger side mirror for lane changes with a stiff neck...  I see tri-shield manual mirrors available on line.

Does anyone know if a manual passenger side mirror was ever a dealer installed option and, if so, have a photo of what was used?

Side note:  I've got a '58 Chevy that I put a passenger side mirror on.  For the 55-57 Chevy crowd they make a convex mirror, so I bought one of those, yarded out the housing, and installed the mirror face on the 58 variety.  I works great!  Both are the same size as the Riv mirror face. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deanoko said:

I've got a loaded 64 with a driver's remote mirror from the factory.  I'm finding I miss having a passenger side mirror for lane changes with a stiff neck...  I see tri-shield manual mirrors available on line.

Does anyone know if a manual passenger side mirror was ever a dealer installed option and, if so, have a photo of what was used?

Side note:  I've got a '58 Chevy that I put a passenger side mirror on.  For the 55-57 Chevy crowd they make a convex mirror, so I bought one of those, yarded out the housing, and installed the mirror face on the 58 variety.  I works great!  Both are the same size as the Riv mirror face. 

Yes, it was possible to have a manual passenger side mirror installed at the dealer...or a passenger side remote with the mirror bezel reversed to provide the proper angle. The tri-shield mirror you are seeing are reproductions of the correct mirror.

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom.  It doesn't look like anyone makes a repop remote version for our cars.  If anyone has a nice one that would flip sides I'd be interested.  I'll go over to the parts forum and look around too.  Also - the manual mirrors I see pitch back from the base, not forward like the remotes do.  Small point, but to me it would look a bit funky.

Edited by Deanoko
Added text (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, Deanoko said:

One more thing.  My driver's side remote mirror is a bit loose between the base and the door skin.  Looking at the NOS one that recently sold, I see the forward mounting pin, but nothing else to anchor it.  What am I missing?2126105505_63-64NOSremotecontrolmirror5.jpg.a2b76ab5ad44fed380f92df7c3677b91.jpg.8b20c744faf9095e0ab753d86ba11208.jpg

Lol...that was the mirror I sold...this particular mirror was a replacement mirror, not a complete install package, so the mounting bracket is not shown. Take your mirror off the door and picture the parts and I can tell you if you have the correct parts.

Tom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, awk409ak said:

Here's the bracket I got with my remote mirror.

Art

999993737_Remotemirrorbracket.jpg.ff0ec21fa66fe2e2d190ffbea7311411.jpg

That looks familiar! Lol...Deanoko, this bracket mounts to the door and the allen head screw secures the mirror to the bracket. Some of the mirrors have a locating pin and some have a threaded stud which can be secured by a  hex nut.

Thans for posting the pic Art,

Tom

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Deanoko said:

Just scored an NOS 63 Pontiac remote mirror on ebay.  Looks to be identical to ours.  "News at 11".  $250. Now we'll see if it's reversible, or if I just replace the wobbly driver's side.690533194_Screenshot_20210825-0933002.png.e9471b74913a36fb8dc35093f1866681.png

It looks identical but it is different...the mirror glass is larger on the Pontiac mirror and I would guess the control stalk is different depending on year also. If your year is a front fender mount the cables will also be longer.

Wish I would have known you were interested in a Pontiac mirror as I have one I intended to list on a Pontiac forum.

Tom

That's interesting because I pulled part numbers off both the Buick and the Pontiac and they are identical.  Mind you the number is on the base, not the lens housing.  If your Pontiac mirror is right side specific, I might be interested.  The "joy stick" and escutcheon look to be identical to our Riv units.

2043933944_Screenshot_20210703-2137083.png.86bb72e2482d9c385d73af9214abcab3.png

'63 Pontiac would be mounted on the fender, as on my '64 GP.  That said, it's easy enough to route the cable to account for the extra length; much harder to stretch a cable that's too short...  ;)

10 hours ago, Deanoko said:

That's interesting because I pulled part numbers off both the Buick and the Pontiac and they are identical.  Mind you the number is on the base, not the lens housing.  If your Pontiac mirror is right side specific, I might be interested.  The "joy stick" and escutcheon look to be identical to our Riv units.

2043933944_Screenshot_20210703-2137083.png.86bb72e2482d9c385d73af9214abcab3.png

As I stated the Buick and Pontiac mirrors appear identical upon initial inspection...maybe because the bases are the same...but the mirror glass on the Pontiac is definitely bigger and will not fit into the Buick upper housing. If you compare the manufacturer's stamped part number on the back of the mirror glass you will find they are different...or, simply try to fit the Pontiac mirror glass into the Buick housing.

The joystick in the picture you posted is not identical to the Buick. Maybe the pic is not the actual mirror you purchased? However, having made that observation, the Pontiac mirror I have has a joystick and bezel which is identical to the '63 Buick...but I don't know what year my Pontiac mirror applies to in the Pontiac lineup?

The mirrors are reversible by rotating the mirror bezel to enable viewing the mirror glass when mounted on the passenger's side

Tom

The NOS Pontiac mirror arrived today in fine shape.  It does have the longer cables to accommodate fender mounting through the firewall.  I will have to measure the Buick cables and shorten the new acquisition.  EVERYTHING above the sheet metal is identical to our Riv unit.  The mirror is NOT bigger.  It came with a Tempest template, detailed mounting instructions, and all the hardware/bracketry EXCEPT for the interior escutcheon plate.

The little chromed joystick controller has a rounded end, whereas the Buick one has a flattened end.  If anyone wants the Pontiac part number, it is: Group 10.185 Part No. 983750.  The base casting part # is D60105-401.

30 minutes ago, Deanoko said:

The NOS Pontiac mirror arrived today in fine shape.  It does have the longer cables to accommodate fender mounting through the firewall.  I will have to measure the Buick cables and shorten the new acquisition.  EVERYTHING above the sheet metal is identical to our Riv unit.  The mirror is NOT bigger.  It came with a Tempest template, detailed mounting instructions, and all the hardware/bracketry EXCEPT for the interior escutcheon plate.

The little chromed joystick controller has a rounded end, whereas the Buick one has a flattened end.  If anyone wants the Pontiac part number, it is: Group 10.185 Part No. 983750.  The base casting part # is D60105-401.

Did you literally try to swap the mirror into the Buick housing? They appear to be the same size upon casual inspection. The pontiac mirrors I have had and the one I currently have has a slightly bigger mirror glass which wont physically fit into a Buick housing. Maybe you have an earlier mirror compared to the ones I have had and currently have? The joystick you pictured does look different  compared to mine. The mirror I currently posses has a joystick and escutcheon which is identical to a `63 Buick....and the base casting number on mine is different than yours.

I found the Ebay listing for your mirror and it is described as a `63...do the dates on the installation instructions reflect that it is for the `63 model year?

Tom

pontiac mirror.jpg

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Deanoko said:

Deanoko,

How long are your cables? Mine are 33 inches from where they mount on the joystick control to wgere they disappear into the mirror base.

Tom

This begs the question - can we use that longer length in our doors by just draping it inside, or do we need to compare it to a stock Buick length and somehow trim to fit?  I know I repaired the one on my previous 63 by crimping a small lead fishing "bb" to the cable that had lost it's end, so that might allow trimmed shorter ones to fit into the joy stick mechanism.

• 1 year later...

I have yet to install this mirror or another correct cable length door mounted mirror I got more recently BECAUSE I can't seem to get the cables to release from the pinch portions of the housing right behind the door trim panel.  (replacing the wood trim is another project and cannot happen until I get the mirror control out of the way)  I have color coded everything for the reassembly, but the cable jackets are firmly in place at their door ends.  I have tried to pry the slots apart a little bit with a large flat blade screwdriver, but do not want to break anything.  Does anyone have any advice?  I think the '65 was a redesign from this earlier "stupid" one

Success!  Very simple, once I broke the code (not the part!) 

1. Move control joystick to slack the desired cable.  

2. Remove cable end from tiltable trianglar bit.

3. Slide bare cable wire up into slot.

4. Remove cable from cable jacket slot, from mirror head end.

5. Color mark cable and slot for matchup reassembly with paint pen.

6. Rinse, repeat. 

No tools required, at least not in my case.  I incorrectly thought the cable jacket was somehow swedged into place. Not so.  It just bottoms on an interior lip.  Once the tension is released, it just slides up and out. 

• Like 2