425 Balancer bolt socket size?

jsgun

What's the socket size for the balancer bolt on a 64 425?

Getting ready to R&R my plastic timing gear, and I don't seem to have a socket that fits that bolt. Can't find any info about the size in the repair manual either.

5 hours ago, telriv said:

Steve,

The balancer bolt in most cases is 1 1/8th. inch, but I have seen them also at 1" on untouched originals.

Tom T.

Agree..I've encountered both sizes

Tom M

10 hours ago, telriv said:

Steve,

The balancer bolt in most cases is 1 1/8th. inch, but I have seen them also at 1" on untouched originals.

Tom T.

I appreciate it, thanks

OK Riviera People:  A 425 should be 1-1/8".  Yes, but who knows if it's been changed at one point.   401's are 1".  I always carry the 1-1/8" socket in my mobile tool kit as well as the 1".  Comes in handy!! Now, if my skill set wasn't so bad I'd be in great shape.     Mitch

Mitch,

As you know I've been into the "Nails" for many years & it appears there is no rhyme or reason why some have 1" or 1 1/8h. inch bolt heads. They are both the same 3/4 bolt thread size. I agree most/many 425's are usually 1 1/8th but have come across  other 425's that are 1".

Tom T.

OK Tom: A similar phenom.    A B-60, my main squeeze takes a specifically different rim than all other years. Safety lip, alignment pin holes and 4 vents are the combination that differentiates them from every other year. Yes, 46-60 are interchangeable with the 5 on 5 bolt pattern on many different models.  That said, many of my B-60's have Buick rims of different years and not the originals.  How such a mix-n-match happened is, like the balancer bolt....anyone's guess.   Mitch