Wanted to Buy - Decent hood for '64 Riviera

I am looking for a decent hood for my 64 Riviera. Doesn't have to be perfect, but should be free of significant rust and have minimal or relatively easily repairable dents. Color doesn't matter.

I'm in South Florida, so closer is better, but will pay freight from wherever in the lower 48.

ROA #13051

Edited by Bronze Mist 64 Riviera (see edit history)

Gene at AB&G has all kinds of sheet metal. I got a hood from him last year for my 65. I don't remember what I pain cause I got a lot of other stuff. 

He's located in Pennsylvania, a little drive up the coast for ya.

Those hoods are heavy and big and shipping would probably be more than the hood the way shipping costs are now.

If you talk to him he will really encourage you to come and see it rather than ship. He's a great guy, very reasonable with prices and very knowledgeable too. Only thing is you will leave with more than what you came for. At least I did. Could not separate need from want.  

Good luck, Joey

Pat is correct. In 1963, the little Buick tri-shield fits into the hood spear.  In 64, the hood emblem sticks through the spear into a slot in the hood. Using a 63 spear/ hood ornament on a 64 hood will hide the slot. Using a 64 spear/hood ornament on a 63 hood will require some metal work on the hood.

Gee, thanks for the info guys. I have been wondering if all three years hoods interchange. Now I know. As for rust repair, the entire front edge of mine is rotten. (Part of it came off in my hand last time I was at the car!) It's not just the skin, either. The supporting structure is rotten, too. I do wonder why though. It's a Florida car whose history I know going back to about 1968 (My Grandpa's car) and it's never left Florida, so no salt or snow. Although the front edge of the hood seems to be a pretty common area of corrosion.

The leading edge of the hood is a common place for rust but I have seen some total rust buckets with perfect hoods!

The 1965 may interchange but I have never tried it.  The leading lower edge molding for the 63 and 64 is chrome and the 65 is body color but I think they can be swapped out but again, I have never tried it.

My hood had been smashed in on the front as well as being a real rust bucket. The guy who did some of the major body work cut everything out and threw it away. Using a sheet metal brake, he formed a new one and welded it in. Looks perfect. 

2 hours ago, gungeey said:

after washing the car ( which I learned to do sparingly)

Mr Gungeey, I washed all. my cars which were daily drivers until I got my 63 Riviera. I got the 63 Riviera May 2016. I was on the forum asking for paint care. One of the gents, Seafoam, told his experience with paint care. Seafoam never washes his car. 

Bottom line, wipe the car down after a drive. Of course, sometimes a damp cloth wipe down won't do the job. The Griots Dry wash is a great product to clean the paint. Airplane Dry Wash is another good product. I know you said you wash your car sparingly, but I wanted to tell you about the dry wash. Griots takes off a layer of "dirt" on the paint without a scratch. 

Turbinator

7 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Mr Gungeey, I washed all. my cars which were daily drivers until I got my 63 Riviera. I got the 63 Riviera May 2016. I was on the forum asking for paint care. One of the gents, Seafoam, told his experience with paint care. Seafoam never washes his car. 

Bottom line, wipe the car down after a drive. Of course, sometimes a damp cloth wipe down won't do the job. The Griots Dry wash is a great product to clean the paint. Airplane Dry Wash is another good product. I know you said you wash your car sparingly, but I wanted to tell you about the dry wash. Griots takes off a layer of "dirt" on the paint without a scratch. 

Turbinator

I wash once a year whether they need it or not LOL

I use blue tape around the rear window, the C-Pillar trim etc. 

Then I use compressed air behind the same spots as we know where the water puddles

PS my cars don't just sit in the garage all year, either.. I want to go thru tires and wear them out

Caution: The bottom picture is for mature audiences only LOL

snow2.jpg

salt n slush feb2021.jpg

salt truck.jpg

Edited by gungeey (see edit history)

On 7/22/2021 at 10:16 PM, Turbinator said:

If Gene doesn’t have what you want I have 3or 4 that will ship from central Maryland. FlatTop makes plenty sense to repair locally if you can. 
Turbinator 

Thanks; I'll check with Gene and if he doesn't have something, I'll be in touch.

16 hours ago, gungeey said:

Then I use compressed air behind the same spots as we know where the water puddles

Mr Gungeey, now those pictures were for audiences that have iron senses.

I drove my car to a local Buick club meet and it rained. One gent said he’d never take his car out in the rain. I said mine won’t melt. I take good care and clean the undercarriage every one in awhile. I cleaned the undercarriage once and treated the metal with brush and POR15. Seems to be holding its own.

I especially like the tip on blue tape and using an air hose where we do know where the water puddles. Great Tip.! Thank you.

Turbinator

On 7/24/2021 at 10:52 AM, telriv said:

Bob,

Funny how that works.  Drive yourself crazy looking for something & it's found in the least likely place.

Tom T.

Tom T, if you have a place for your tools and your tools in place they are easy to find. Organization is a skill!

turbinator