A return of a lost project?

Just sharing a story. Back in the early 90's, I picked up this 1966 Ford truck in hopes to restore it one day. It was the short box step side that caught my eye. I had been living in an apartment back then and the poor thing had to be stored outside. The body was rough, the tranny had no reverse but the engine was a rebuilt 289 and I actually drove it a couple times. In 2000 we finally purchased our home and there it sat in the garage collecting dust. 7 years ago I finally came to realize I wasn't going to restore it and also didn't have faith in myself. I sold it to a family friend for my yellow Lab...cheap. I kind of regret it now after working on the old Pontiac and regaining that faith. The buyer had been a retired mechanic and an avid ford collector. He needed a work truck and got it on the road. I went to visit him once or twice and said, "if you EVER think of selling this, please let me know." My sister in law saw him yesterday and he told her to tell me, "tell Mark I'm thinking of selling the truck." My heart started pounding. I will contact him soon but I'm tight on cash and space for another vehicle. I'll let ya know what the outcome is.......

IMG_3691.JPG.32b6e7b08322764eccb5518cc7a0318a.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG.1e8d951bc9fdb8f88ee2ae58f080a07c.JPG

Edited by Summershandy
add on (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Good Looking truck. My first vehicle was a 65 f100 short bed but not a step side. Dad bought it for my sister and had it painted just about that same colour blue. Then my brother got a hold of it, painted it bronze, put in a 350 from a vette with a 4 speed. He ran into someone and smashed the front slightly, at the time the only grill he could find was one for a 66. And he got that from the ford dealer NOS, late 70's. I got the truck in '80 when I got my license. Had a lot of fun in that thing!

49977254976_9ce9c7bfe5_c.jpg2020-06-06_11-09-31 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Only pic I could find.

• Like 1

I may not be the best person to ask? I spent a lot of behind the wheel time in my old 1965 F-250 (3/4 ton camper special with no camper).

I drove the thing for work for seventeen years, and put OVER a half million miles on it! 

I really can't complain about it, although I do hate to think about the number of dollars that went through that gasoline tank!

When I bought it, it was about fifteen years old, and low mileage, but abused by camping use. The clutch was messed up and required rebuilding/replacement. I put about 150,000 miles on the original engine. I got a 1966 identical motor, and rebuilt it myself. Between commuting and my work travels, I averaged about 30,000 miles per year. I cannot be certain about the actual mileage, because the speedometer drive wore out. A bit over two years before I stopped driving the truck, at 300,000 miles on the engine rebuild I did, the speedometer drive began to slip on and off. It started running slow, and the odometer was falling behind the actual mileage. After about a year of running maybe fifty percent, it quit altogether. But I did get to see the odometer turn all zeros one last time.

When I was ready to let it go? I was READY to let it GO! It still looked good, however, mechanically it was wore out. The engine still ran well, but power and performance was down a bit. I wasn't comfortable driving very fast as the steering was loose and it wanted to wander too much. And for me? It was too modern to restore.

But it sure was a GOOD truck!

• Like 2

I have had my 1965 F350 for 37 years . Worked it to death for about 20 some then totally restored it.  Rack body ,Dual wheels 352 , 4 speed  4.88 spicer rear . A real beast . Once pulled out a stuck well drilling rig . I had about 3 ton in the back and did not even spin a wheel. BUY IT . And restore it. You will love it . 

This brings up fond memories of two trucks: an old fellow in the neighborhood had one painted gray which he drove daily until cancer got him in the mid-90s. His widow sold it to a neighbor who promptly stuck it in his backyard and threw a blue tarp over it. And it's still there :(

And back in '90 I had a '78 stepside Ford painted that same color. If I could have kept it running I'd still be driving it today. 

Thanks for those stories gang and the moral! I spoke with the old gentlemen last night at a car meet. He was there with his '69 Mustang. He owns couple antiques too. I forgot to mention he worked for many years as a mechanic at the Ford dealership in the 50's up. He knows his stuff. He doesn't really drive the truck much anymore along with a couple other of his cars. I had questioned in my mind about how he went about certifying it to be road worthy. The cab/roof/floorboards were badly rotted. He used another truck to cut out the needed body parts and brazed them in place. Apparently that's a big no-no to be certified in our neck of the woods. He said much work would have to be done to replace all that. He knows a lot of people and probably with cash and a handshake got a road certification. When I asked what kind of number he was thinking of, he paused and said, "you know how rare that truck is?" That to me say's a lot of dollar signs. On another note, I never really liked the way he put things back together. I love close to original at least the look. His seats, steering wheel, shifter and lots of other parts are from other vehicles. He's selling it "as is" and recommended saving my money for something else.....at 60, I still respect my elders and my bank account. I did snap this pic at his place while he was working on it. 

Thanks for listening and have a great weekend everyone!

Mark

IMG_20140614_142217.jpg

14 hours ago, Summershandy said:

TAKerry....is that fur on the door panel? I had a '67 mustang fastback when I was 18. I covered the interior with that fur and still cringe to this day when I think about it! LOL

Brown shag carpet. I took that off and made panels out of some prefinished wood paneling I had and some black naugahyde.

• Like 1

If you have an itch you have to scratch it. Until recently almost all of my laments, in sixty years in the old car hobby, have been of omission. Now time is not on my side so I have to look at thing more realistically. Only you can make the determination as to where you are in life's process and what's best for you and your family, and what's best for the truck. 

• Like 1