1927/1928 Dodge North East Speedo

RichBad

Hi all,

I’m in the middle or repairing/rebuilding my Speedo (the pot metal body needed replacing) and think I’m missing a part - hoping someone knows what I’m missing.

the shaft with the worm gear that drives the odometer doesn’t seem to have anything that holds it in place and therefore seems to push out when the Speedo operates.  Should their be something that holds it in the shaft (like a brass plug)?

This is it stripped:

759A0022-514D-47A7-8F16-37D93996F669.jpeg.33e2fdcd83f7bf1333d91e4b927579b3.jpeg

This is the shaft that I think should have something to hold it in:

A9012493-ABE4-4DAB-8D04-A877EFB77306.jpeg.938052a5cbcfa97ec4e76acbc9a31c3d.jpeg

should there be a plug in this hole to hold it in?

54D70D25-DEF6-45BA-BB59-1E22BA0C689C.jpeg.77db12e1fadc3d1c8f6fbe8432bcb2a0.jpeg

Edited by RichBad (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nice job Rich, isn’t it incredible how they designed and built the actual odometer back then. I know when I had mine in pieces I was amazed at how intricate it was with all those little cogs in there. Mine was all seized so it also needed complete disassembly. 

• Like 2

No Rich , cant find the bucket , I know I put it some ware safe a long time ago so I would not lose them if I ever rebuilt one for my self . Well its so safe it cant be found  or I am getting to an age where I cant remember where I put it , will how have to find the dam thing to solve my memory laps . Ha ha ha , Bob

Edited by robert b (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Matt painted the face for me so have got it back together.  Looks fantastic but doesn’t seem to be any positive location for the face and glass - just seems to sandwich between the bezel and Speedo body.  Not sure if that’s how it should be?

8717E326-C4CF-4DF5-B62B-71EE72DE79CC.jpeg.832bc5fce10acf4e1908e185d0b231d2.jpeg

907D39AF-1123-4437-89A0-CCCF43E59A3D.jpeg.a0a5e8fb45460aa01dea7a7be057965a.jpeg

• Like 3

Bezel , gasket, brass retainer ring ,gauge face . Still cant find the bucket of parts but still looking  and better do some thing about amp meter to , getting slow and forgetful in old age or just over worked , not liking these 9 day week caper  . bob

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, robert b said:

Bezel , gasket, brass retainer ring ,gauge face . Still cant find the bucket of parts but still looking  and better do some thing about amp meter to , getting slow and forgetful in old age or just over worked , not liking these 9 day week caper  . bob

Ah, thanks Bob - I didn’t have a retainer ring but it seems to sandwich together OK (but may move with vibrations).

Amp meter will be really helpful when you get a chance.  Sounds like you need another person helping with all the work you’ve got on.

7 hours ago, robert b said:

See what happens bob when you move in next door to work. 😬They’ll be knocking on your door constantly. 

• Like 1