1947 Chrysler New Yorker VIN

Hello all,

I have a question on behalf of a friend for his 1947/48 Chrysler New Yorker sedan. Attached is the tag from the firewall - can someone please suggest how best to decode it? The car is right hand drive, delivered new to Bombay, India. Will there be a separate VIN number in the door frame?

Any leads to a site where decoding is made easy would be appreciated. 

Cheers!

Karl

chrysler.JPG

Edited by karlosdeville (see edit history)

Don't know about export models but there should be a plate on the drivers side door jamb about level with the hand brake lever.

That is the actual VIN or Serial Number of the car.

You could try the Chrysler Historical Society. They have build sheets that can be used to decode the plate you pictured. It will tell you exactly what the car was built with from the factory.

• Like 1

Joe Cocuzza is correct, the serial number should be a tag on the left (driver side in US) front door jam. It will be simply a long number. Getting the build card might be difficult at present, apparently the historical collection is still impacted by COVID, see: https://p15-d24.com/topic/56028-current-build-card-request-status/?tab=comments#comment-602192 Also, the Chrysler historical services do not have complete records, they generally only have information for vehicles built in the US so if the car was assembled elsewhere they may not have the record at all.

The tag on the firewall pictured is actually a body tag. It looks like it might have some interesting information on it but I am not knowledgeable enough about late 1940s Chryslers to help there. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, for now we have figured that the colour (Code 5) was Polo Green, and Trim 33 was Tan leather, an extra cost option (common for most cars in India I think). Still haven't been able to visit the car to check the door tag. Shall keep you posted. Thanks again.