1934 Pierce-Arrow 836A on BAT

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

My issue is too many people start with a basket case, and then stall out and die on old cars. Doing a project is fine.........just start with something decent. The 836A at the top of the post runs.......but you can get a car five times better for a few bucks more and are actually going to have something of an out. Hell, I have cut up cars that were five times better than this one. And I don't have any issue driving a rolling junk yard....I have done it many times myself. But people buy cars like the above and don't realize what they have, where they are going with it.....and then get frustrated that no one will buy it when its for sale. I have owned a lot of Pierce Arrow's, more than most people realize and I find much better cars for a fraction of the price this one is currently at. It's not been more of a buyers market since the early 80's. I see fine restored open CCCA cars in the high point range for peanuts.......and often. I don't buy cars because they are bargains........I buy them because they interest me. That said, I will buy and Pierce Arrow I think I can do something with for a fixer upper and resale, because if I don't sell it, I don't care because I'm willing to keep it.......I like all Pierce Arrows. George....ever notice which P-A's I don't buy? That should speak volumes. The 836A is one I don't ever buy to resell, just for parts. Because I find they are ten times more difficult to sell.

Ed, with respect, I think you're imposing your personal taste on others.  Just because YOU don't have a pre-1921 Series 38, 48 or 66, or Series 80/81 for that matter, doesn't mean they are bad cars--the pre-1921s are just the opposite IMHO.  I don't care for 836As myself but they (and 80s/81s for that matter--and I have one 80 now and had two of them at the same time for 21 years) are attractive to others, if for no other reason than as entry-level Pierces.  You can have just as much fun in an 80 or 836A!  That said, my 1918 48-B-5 dual valve affords me More Smiles per Mile than any other car I've ever owned.  For both of us:  opinions are like belly buttons or certain other body parts--everybody has one.

Jimmy-Jimmy summed up this auction best

Are you kiddin’ me? ARE YOU KIDDIN’ ME? A full classic,, that runs and drives, with an immaculate dashboard, solid body and decent interior…for USED COROLLA MONEY??

Wow, do I wish I had some spare cash and, more importantly, some space for this gem!

And this fellow is going to buy it off the auction winner for $25k, after it just sold for $18.5k

Easy to say now but I was preparing to bid to $25K but never got the video…

A point that's being missed is that this car, however low on the Pierce scale of desirability, gets one involved with the Pierce Arrow Society, a great bunch of guys and gals.

I was visiting a nice brass era tour, lots of friends on it but neither of my brass cars are on the road.  One of my good friends told me, you know, you need to buy something running, even if it's an early Model T, so you can drive on these tours.

I told him that Model T doesn't really excite me.

He said it's not about excitement, it's about PARTICIPATION.

So, money and desirability and parts cars aside, this car would allow one to participate.  And, the downside is fairly small, if later one wishes to move up.

• Like 4

George......I just haven't gotten a deal that worked on a pre 21 yet.......but not from lack of trying! The 20's cars are all fine cars, and I have tried to take a shot at two particular cars......that didn't work out either. ( I never buy any 20's car unless its one  I'm willing to own as a "keeper.") One was a 36 the other was an 81. My only gripe with the 20's cars I don't fit in them well. They drive fine for their era and technology. I do think the series 33 & 36 are a larger dollar investment for the driving results you can often get out of them. I use an "enjoyment calculator" when spending my money on hobby cars. There are lots of interesting, well made cars that are fun and obscure......which is what appeals to me. But I prefer to also get cars that are in the 95th percentile of drivability. Many cars just don't meet my requirements.......... condition for me isn't an issue. My 1917 White touring is about as long in the tooth as you can get in the looks department.......which is half it's charm. What it does do for me is size of chassis, engine horse power, custom body, history from new, ect, ect, ect. Hell, nothing is more plain Jane than my T. I am interested in letting people know options, and trying to inform them what they are getting into. I don't want to publicly dump on any car for sport, and try to be diplomatic. I can tell you as someone who has purchased ten Pierce Arrow cars in the last four years that the price, condition, and desirability of the BAT car is way out of wack for what one can buy on the open market. Someone posted it sold at 18k. As gentelmen we can agree to disagree on certain subjects. My best, Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1