Isotta Fraschini in NJ ca. 1950

Walt G

This is a tiny snapshot that I do not think I posted before, do not see a note that I did. Location in in N.J. someplace in the winter - note the snow on the ground. Has Grebel headlamps fitted. For a 20 year old car at the time it is in remarkable condition, must have been well cared for.  Coachwork is European - so when imported a higher rate of tariff was paid to do so when new, many I-F cars were imported into the USA via the harbor of NY and came in as a chassis with no body to keep the import tax lower. Fleetwood of Pa. designed and fitted many bodies to I-F , must have had a good understanding with the NY Isotta dealership-sales agent. I-F was popular enough that a sales catalog was printed in the USA to hand out to perspective customers on this side of the pond. I am fortunate enough to have one of those catalogs and it will be used in a future story I will write. SO many stories that have not been told yet in detail based on period information and interviews . I had a friend 50 + years ago that was in the service dept. of I-F of N.Y. who took pleasure in telling me stories of his years there as a young man . He was amazed I wanted to hear what he had to say. I was glad I listened and asked questions.

ISOTTAFinNJca1950.jpg

• Like 8

I'll take an easy guess, it's a Castagna-bodied IF.  Their windshields with filleted lower corners and center divider bar appeared in the late 1920's-early 1930's.   Castagna, Sala and Fleetwood are the coachbuilders I most associate with IF.