How to remove protective coating from 1950's Buick upper grille bar?

I have a nos upper grille bar that has a unusually heavy protective coating.  I have in the past, used 0000 steel wool with success, but wondered if anyone has a better method.  I have tried lacquer thinner, reducers,etc with no success with this particular item.

Zip Strip paint remover works great.  I cleaned alot of that factory clear off Korean war chrome.  If for no other reason than to reclear with a modern clear.  Though the clear will mute the lustre.  Lay it on heavy, give it a little time to work as the directions say then rinse off with water.  Repeat process until it's all gone.  If you are going to put the car in good storage and not use it much in the rain,  the chrome will last quite a while.  If you are going to leave it out in the elements it will fail in short order. I have only come across one piece that zip strip wouldn't touch.  Not sure what it was, but it was tough. Acetone or zylol will work as well,  but I like the no touch methid as ther eis less chance of scratching the chrome.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 12:36 PM, The 55er said:

Might be thin Korean-war era chrome originally painted with clear lacquer paint that's turned yellowish-brown. Post a close-up picture of it if you can. I wouldn't use steel wool or anything too aggressive on it.......

Thanks!