Dont trust in 1930 Chrysler oil filter

Fermato

Like @c49er, I am pretty sure that is a bypass style filter so the engine wasn’t ruined by having the filter clogged up. 

For my slightly newer Plymouth the original owners manual says you should check your filter with the engine fully warmed up and running at idle. Remove a plug at the bottom of the filter and if there is a stream of clean oil coming out you are still good. If not then replace the whole filter canister.

I am willing to bet there were a lot of years where that test was not done on the filter shown. I can’t recall ever seeing one of that style being cut open. A fascinating mess in there. . .

I think there are reproductions that look similar from a vintage Buick parts supplier that can be taken apart and use a modern filter inside.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fermato said:

I saw in aaca  oil filter spin on in this old canister I try to make one of them

I send a few pictures form this draft

There are modern spin on oil filters that are for bypass use. My understanding is that they use a different thread to avoid having them confused with full flow filters. If possible, I think you should try to use a bypass filter as they are lower flow with a “depth media” and will help keep your oil pressure up and filter out smaller sized contaminants.

I agree with the idea of using a bypass filter, that is what the car had originally, and they are a finer filter that removes finer particles of dirt than the newer full flow filters. The Frantz filters have been around for over 50 years, they use a roll of toilet tissue as a filter which makes them easy and cheap to replace. I believe Amsoil and others make a spin on bypass filter. Or you could adapt a replacable cartridge type filter, they are still available.

That filter looks about right for a 1930’s car that saw limited service intervals. It may even be considered neglect or abuse. Lol. 

Oil and filers are cheap. Change them often. These engines are not tight or efficient. Tolerances are loose and sloppy compared to today’s standards. Meaning oils degrade and contaminate sooner than you may expect. Keep up on your maintenance and regular inspections. You’ll reap the benefits!

Resist the urge to save money on fluids and filers after you have spent $5K rebuilding that old flathead engine.  😉

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)