For Sale: 1962 Lincoln Continental sedan - $19,500 - Hanover, MA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1962 Lincoln Continental sedan - $19,500 - Hanover, MA

1962 Lincoln Continental - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

1962 Lincoln Continental sedan.   This car was made made famous as the car JFK used during his presidency. Obviously this is not JFK's car but nonetheless it has the same unique qualities. This Lincoln is a 4 door door sedan with the well known suicide doors. Car has been in the same family for the last 40 plus years and well taken care of. 90,000 miles is on the odometer but engine has been redone and it is matching number motor. About 300 miles on the engine since this has been completed. There is no body rot or rust but paint does have some imperfections in spots as shown. The chrome on this car is in excellent shape as well as the stainless steel. Undercarriage is clean. Interior is in very good shape. This Continental is a solid strong running classic and a perfect car for those looking for an old time cruising car that will certainly make people look twice.   CAR STORED IN CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS.
Asking $19,500 OBO.

Copy and paste in your email:  18a852e2e5413f13949fda4d882461ad@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1962 Lincoln Continental sedan.

'62 Lincoln Continental MA a.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA b.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA c.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA d.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA e.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA f.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA g.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA h.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA i.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA j.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental MA k.jpg

Posted (edited)

AJ:

From the '60's Lincolns I find on CL, they fall into one of two categories: either they're restored convertibles with a very healthy price or they're a badly rundown sedans but also with healthy prices.  Has something to do with their popularity in music videos.    This '62 looks to be a nicely-preserved original which seem to be hard to find.    Convertibles were already being picked up as collector cars in the 1970's, seemingly no matter how poor their condition was. 

I had a '63 convertible for a while thirty years ago.   As much as I loved the design, from first sight in November 1960 pre-introduction, when I got to know the cars in detail too much was done no better than any other Ford product of the same model years.  I can describe any number to 1961-1965 Lincolns that I looked at as five-six year old used cars that were rusted in the same places as a Falcon, had as badly dirty and stained interior as any Galaxie, dull paint, missing trim and the typical FoMoCo manifold exhaust leak 'ticking'.  And electric windows not functional or stuck at half-mast and the infamous rusting hoods and trunk lids where the underside strengthener pattern was showing rust-through the surface.

Steve  

PS:  That's why I included the picture of the underside of the trunk lid to show it wasn't showing the typical rust break outs.

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

From the '60's Lincolns I find on CL, they fall into one of two categories: either they're restored convertibles with a very healthy price or they're a badly rundown sedans but also with healthy prices.  Has something to do with their popularity in music videos.    This '62 looks to be a nicely-preserved original which seem to be hard to find.    Convertibles were already being picked up as collector cars in the 1970's, seemingly no matter how poor their condition was. 

I had a '63 convertible for a while thirty years ago.   As much as I loved the design, from first sight in November 1960 pre-introduction, when I got to know the cars in detail too much was done no better than any other Ford product of the same model years.  I can describe any number to 1961-1965 Lincolns that I looked at as five-six year old used cars that were rusted in the same places as a Falcon, had as badly dirty and stained interior as any Galaxie, dull paint, missing trim and the typical FoMoCo manifold exhaust leak 'ticking'.  And electric windows not functional or stuck at half-mast and the infamous rusting hoods and trunk lids where the underside strengthener pattern was showing rust-through the surface.

Steve  

PS:  That's why I included the picture of the underside of the trunk lid to show it wasn't showing the typical rust break outs.

I know you consider this a nicer one but $20,000?   These cars I would think, like Imperials, we’re complex cars.  At 90,000 miles they should be worn out mechanically.  

I know he mentions the motor was rebuilt 300 miles ago but that worries me too. Is it sorted out?  Are they chasing Gremlins?  

All this is fine for a $7500 car, which to me is still a lot to pay , but $20,000 should buy me a much better car.  

1 minute ago, B Jake Moran said:

I know you consider this a nicer one but $20,000?   

All this is fine for a $7500 car, which to me is still a lot to pay , but $20,000 should buy me a much better car.  

No, this one, as decent as it is, is just as badly overpriced as the majority of those for sale.  I don't see a car worth $20K in these Lincolns when there are so many other choices in pre-war cars in that range that are worth that money and more.   And, the $40K-$50K convertibles are just idiotic. 

This looks like a decent but unrestored/unsorted example that has been out there for a while.  I have seen a couple of refurbished or driver level resto cars with good quality paint, chrome, interior and mechanically gone through, good examples, sell around $20k in the last 2, 3 years.  Plus, nicer original paint, interior examples are out there if one is patient.

A lot of mediocre and some decent sedans at the $20k mark.

FWIW this is a $12k car IMO, maybe low teens.  Decent, but I would stick to 12k myself. I like these and somewhat track them.  Even the sedans have some complexity and one has to assume some spend on sorting.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I don’t follow these as closely as I should, considering I own one. But I think Steve_Mack_CT’s estimate is about right.  

There are enough Lincoln specific parts on these to mean sorting can be expensive.  As always, buy the best one you can afford. 

This one looks good. It’s the same color as my ‘64 so I’m inclined to like it. The engine compartment looks complete and correct, at least on my small phone screen. It even has the battery surround in place. I would check those tires - this one has 14” wheels and it’s hard to find a 14” radial that is rated for the weight of these things. 

58L-Y8, i agree on convertible pricing. If some idiot offers me $40k for mine I will have an  empty spot in my garage. 

• Like 3

I should add that the hood and trunk rust is common as 58L-Y8 mentioned. Caused by the seam sealer or whatever they used between the outer panel and internal reinforcement. It must absorb moisture because they rust from the inside out wherever that stuff is applied. I took it all out on my car and applied a modern material in the same places. After treating the metal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the years I have owned 12 of these cars, half being 62s, the best looking of the lot in my opinion.  That being said,  while this car has a lot to offer,  I too think it is over priced by 8-10 k given the lack of air or a proper set of tires.

• Like 1

Air conditioning was still an infrequently ordered option in cars sold in the Northeast sixty years ago.  On the other hand, if a car didn't have a heater/defroster, that would nix a sale fast.