1937 Chevrolet/Holden Ute

Am 99.99% sure that is not an AU body.

Has barn doors at the rear.

The back of the cab may have been a coupe and the rear window made.

With those disk brakes will not be a full 1937 chassis-suspension-drive line

Attached is a (modified( 1937 Chevy coupe utility (2018 photo).  All mid 30's GM made coupe utilities had the same basic cab and "pickup" bed design. They did not not change much year to year.  And 1938 Catalogue

20181111_102915s.jpg

20181111_102905s.jpg

It may have been a USA panel van and/or coupe originally

If AU production would have GMH tags on the firewall/cowl

1938 Chevrolet Commercial Vehicles-02-03.jpg

1938 Chevrolet Commercial Vehicles-10-11.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you for responding and the good information.

I added the 4 wheel disc brakes, the Corvette independent rear suspension and mustang 2 front suspension/rack and pinion steering.

I also lowered the sides about 4 inches.

I will look for "GMH" plate.

So as far as you know they make them with the swing doors on the rear?

Do you know what they are referring to when the say "1937 half door ute'?

I saw one online and he called it a half door.

Thanks again,

Dan Lopez

I found this on a Holden site showing the production numbers for 1937.

You can see where they refer to half door and full door.

I thought maybe they are referring to the rear door/doors.

Screenshot_20210718-174124~2.png

Hi Dan, just letting you know that your ute is not an Australian Holden body. The Holden body has different swage lines along the side, a split windscreen and the rear screen is completely separated into two halves. Holden truck bodies also have very noticeable ridges over the roof that is not used anywhere else. The swage lines on the side of your car are as used on North American models. Also Chevrolet only went to the 5 window format on commercial vehicles in 1946, all pre-war had 3 windows. In fact I would guess that nothing back from the bonnet (hood) is factory built. It appears to be a made up body using various parts from donor cars (nothing wrong with that if done properly). No ute used split doors at the rear, this style would only be found in a van of some description. It does appear to be based on the 3/4 ton (15cwt) truck version, not the car version, same as those pictured at the bottom section of the 1938 sales brochure shown in the previous reply.

As to the question about half doors, this was used by Holden Motor Body Builders as a budget option for commercial vehicles. The last true roadster ute was made in 1936 as a budget option. In 1937 and 1938 they produced a limited amount of coupe utility and truck models using roadster style doors without windows. These only had side curtains, no glass. They were also upholstered in "leatherette" (vinyl) when all other Holden bodies used genuine leather. Hope this helps, Rick

• Like 1

Having had another look at your car, I believe that what you have is a 1937 Chevrolet panel truck that has been cut down to a ute copy. It looks like maybe a Ford(?) coupe roof morphed onto the Chevy base. If you search on the net for images of a 1937 Chev panel truck (not the car based panel delivery) you will see the similarities.

One more thing, I think the photos of the primered coupe-utility shown above is actually one of the rarer half door versions. You can see the pop for the side curtain on the door and it looks like it does not have the top door frame for a door window. It has a Master Deluxe bonnet but I think it is actually a Standard, either way not common. 

I see what you're saying.

The top on mine was chopped a couple inches that's why it has a one piece front window.

I found these images online. The tan one looks like it has hinges on the side for swing doors and the yellow one has the extra side windows and the rear window like mine.

But they may not be Australian also.

I just got to the shop so today I will look on vin plate for the "GMH"

Thanks again,

Dan Lopez

Screenshot_20210719-084323~3.png

Screenshot_20210719-084711~2.png

I am not sure what you want to hear, but your car is not GMH. The parts that you see on the top photo are the side latches, not hinges. The tailgate drops flat. The second image is a Ford. Look up images of a US built 1937 Chevrolet panel truck and you will see the resemblance to your car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This where the rear cab wall meets the bed/side walls.inside and out.

And the bin plate. Your right it doesn't have a GMH.

It must be a copy that someone made here in the states.

Dan Lopez

IMG_20210719_172637162.jpg

IMG_20210719_172643769.jpg

IMG_20210719_172515783.jpg

IMG_20210719_172611545.jpg

IMG_20210719_172525468.jpg

Your right. It's not a Holden.

I'll stop waisting your time.

I wonder if there is a car club for fake Holden's?

Just kidding.

Thanks again for all the help and information.

I really do appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Dan Lopez

Not wasting anyone's time Dan. Happy to help clear it up for you. Not sure but perhaps the seller told you a little fib?

I have posted a couple of images of the GMH cab. As you can see, the lower swage line dips whereas the USA bodies do not. These GMH cabs were used for Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and possibly GMC trucks from around 1934 to 1940 I have also added an image of what I believe your car was, being the panel truck. You will notice the barn doors and the lower outwards curve of the body that is not seen on a ute as they had a rolled body shape under the tailgate.

I believe that these truck models use a similar but slightly larger radiator grill to the car models so be careful when buying parts as not all of the car parts will fit, even if they look similar.

Enjoy your truck!

1937_Chevrolet_Master_Pickup_(8651902270).jpg

1937 chev cab.jpg

37chev panel truck.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

The prior posters have explained body differences in detail beyond my knowledge, but isn't the left hand drive a rather obvious difference?

Same here, it looks like a home built hot rod. Very well done and quite attractive IMO. 

• Like 2

Putting aside the issue of provenance, I like the looks of this truck and I would be proud to own it.  I prefer originality in most vehicles, but these body modifications appear to be well done.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the information.

Before I got this car I never heard of a Ute. So I have learned a lot and I can see where GM got the idea for the El Camino.

I'm have a 66 El Camino also, did Holden make a GM ute in 66' ?

Here is a picture of my 66' El Camino 

IMG_20210624_095034573.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dan Lopez said:

I appreciate all the information.

Before I got this car I never heard of a Ute. So I have learned a lot and I can see where GM got the idea for the El Camino.

I'm have a 66 El Camino also, did Holden make a GM ute in 66' ?

Here is a picture of my 66' El Camino 

Did GMH make a 66 ute?  10's of 1000's of them over the years.  Were based on the 4 door rear wheel drive sedans. Today worth more than the sedan equivalent.

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/readers-rides/1506/1966-hd-holden-ute-reader-ride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_HD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_HR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Utility_(VG)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Ute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupé_utility

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Lopez said:

Did Holden make a 1957 Chevrolet ute like this one?

GHM made utes from 1948 based on the Holden sedans. The Holden sedans were smaller than USA Chev's. 

Also in late 40'to early 50's had Chev based utes

Link--> https://forums.aaca.org/topic/320822-1950-chevrolet-coupe-utility-aka-ute-sold/

Ford made utes that had a closer resemblance to USA Fords

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mainline

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/news/2010/1956-ford-mainline-ute-for-sale

Similar for Dodge

Utes were very popular in Australia. Sadly local car production ended in Australia in 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Australia

The prior posters have explained body differences in detail beyond my knowledge, but isn't the left hand drive a rather obvious difference?

Holden actually made a lot of LHD vehicles, including utes from the EK (1961) onwards, for the export market. This photo is a 1966-67 HR LHD ute.

holden-hr-ute-1.jpg

• Like 2

I saw a 'new-ish' Holden ute at a Pontiac show a couple of years ago. Same platform as the G8 I think. Sharp looking vehicle. I think theres a guy in VA that imports them now for resale.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I saw a 'new-ish' Holden ute at a Pontiac show a couple of years ago. Same platform as the G8 I think. Sharp looking vehicle. I think theres a guy in VA that imports them now for resale.

Yep Same platform.  Was sold as Holden, Chev & Pontiac with variations for the various markets

The last utes were RHD, but if GMH wanted to could have made a LHD ute.  But regulatory testing & engineering RHD-LHD come into play as well as possible sales. The engineering was a lot simpler in 1930-40-50's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G8

G8 ST

In addition to the sedan, a two-seat coupé utility called the G8 ST (for Sport Truck) was shown at the New York International Auto Show in March 2008. Based on the Holden Ute, it was built on the same G8 platform with a 73-inch (1,900 mm) cargo bed. The ST had the same 361 hp (269 kW), 6.0-liter V8 used in the G8 GT, as well as the 3.6-liter, 256 hp (191 kW) V6. After a naming contest with more than 18,000 suggestions, the name remained the G8 ST.[24]

The G8 ST, slated for release as a 2010 model, was to be Pontiac's coupe utility, and GM's first coupe utility in the United States since the Chevrolet El Camino was discontinued in 1987. In January 2009, GM announced to Pontiac dealers that the G8 ST was cancelled due to budget cuts and restructuring.[25]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

Yep Same platform.  Was sold as Holden, Chev & Pontiac with variations for the various markets

The last utes were RHD, but if GMH wanted to could have made a LHD ute.  But regulatory testing & engineering RHD-LHD come into play as well as possible sales.

would have been a pretty niche vehicle, the one that’s a shame that didn’t get a go was the territory (might have needed some styling tweaks for the American market) but they drove nearly as nicely as an X5 for a third of the price. I suspect that had far more to do with risk of cannibalising domestic products 

12 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

......the one that’s a shame that didn’t get a go was the territory (might have needed some styling tweaks for the American market) but they drove nearly as nicely as an X5 for a third of the price. I suspect that had far more to do with risk of cannibalising domestic products 

What is a Territory?

Answer: This!