My 5 decades long restoration, nearly……

Finally on the home stretch with help from my friends, including help and advice from great people on this forum. I thought I would share my story with you all.  I grew up on a farm that had a lot of old machinery. I loved all things mechanical and In 1971  when I was twelve years old I decided to “restore” a 1936 GMC 1/2 ton pickup.  This pickup had sat since 1956 , it was complete except for the front axle that was borrowed for a trailer project. Sin number one, never tear something completely apart, especially when you have no skills or a plan.  Sin number two, do not tear apart a vehicle that is in good original condition without A proper evaluation .

in the summer of 1971 I took this nice old pickup and completely disassembled it , thank goodness I did not grind all the rivets off the frame.  Not knowing what to do I asked around for advice , some said hot rod others said why in the heck did you go and do that for.  I was fortunate to know a pretty good machinist who said , son start by evaluating components and then make up a list of parts that you will need, meanwhile start to develop skill on the simple stuff first.  Of course I had school and chores , years fly by .  The one good thing that happened is I learned to work on old hit and miss engines.  Actually restored a couple of them and learned how great it is to complete a project, if I only learned that lesson first (before sin number 1). 
  fast forward a decade , finally got the engine evaluated and the engine block was not usable I then spent many years trying to find a original style engine.  In 1936 when GMC introduced their first light duty pickup they wanted it to have a pressure oil system.  They chose Oldsmobiles 213 cu flathead six with a few differences 

like different motor mounts, distributor, water pump, clutch ect.

To me the most important thing to have in this truck was the proper letter and number sequence on the engine block, GMC used the letter T to begin the serial number.  Another decade latter I finally found a complete engine 2,500 miles from me.  I bought the motor and had it shipped to me, I sent it out to be rebuilt at a very busy machine shop, I continued to put pressure on them to get it done , secretly hoping that did not get it done too fast as I was always short on time and money , you know, got married, bought a house, had a kid, got divorced repeat, as some say life got in the way.  That takes us to decade four.  The machine shop calls and says pickup your motor, I was thrilled until I learned that they did not finish it.  The owners decided to retire, however they said that all the machining was completed and the engine only needed to be assembled, they even gifted all the labor as they felt bad.  Fortunately I had become good friends with a nice young man who has a restoration shop near me , he specializes in pre world war classics , does Packard’s, Pierce Arrow and many other engine complete overhauls.  I took the engine to him and within a few weeks he called me with the bad news, the engine that had sat all those years at the previous machine shop and had all the work done on it was never magnafluxed .  It had water jacket cracks inside the block were the side valve chambers are. I started my search again, like trying to find a needle in a haystack, in 1936 GMC only built 12,000 trucks with this engine. I reached out to some new found friends that I met on this site along with the VCCA and someone remembered a guy who dropped a small block in his truck, I was able to buy it as is, so until it made it to my friends restoration shop I had no idea if it was rebuildable, thank goodness it was.  Anyway the engine has been on the test stand and runs great, truck is pretty much back together, just waiting for the new radiator core to be installed . Not sure how many pictures I can include on a single post so I will start with a representative photo of the beginning and one near completion,  moral of the story is, it took me 50 years but you can sometimes Make up for the sins of your youth,  Michael

15198D02-0D48-430F-ADE0-5B6657F7B245.jpeg

C3AEF286-07FC-43AE-8B7D-7F2A3854D39C.jpeg

• Like 18

r1lark, here you go, these pictures are from 2015. What is not shown is the boxes of NOS parts and components that were cleaned and rebuilt and ready to go.  I had to move all the parts 3 times, but was lucky that in 50 years it sat indoors. With the exception of the cab and box that was pulled out of the barn in 2012.  I also am amazed that I only lost a few items and of course as life would have it, I found some of those pieces misplaced after I spent years looking on eBay and countless phone calls begging1E104A97-FDC8-4633-828E-72E73B3661E4.jpeg.7d9cb20f2dac349ed39f93934820441d.jpeg

5D3D6A7D-91CF-459E-A1D2-64A51F33726C.jpeg

8BE7D21B-BA1C-45FC-906B-23E452FEF701.jpeg

• Like 2

Sorry I have been having issues with pictures, but I think I figured out what I was doing wrong.  Two of these pictures show some great pinstripe application, we decided to have the tailgate GMC logo hand painted instead of using the store bought decal. The other picture shows how a modern material can be easy to apply and come out great, I am referring to the brown wrinkle finish on the interior.  originally the factory took the interior panels and painted them with a special paint and then baked them in a oven.  The paint would wrinkle and then they would be screwed into place with clutch head screws ( I would call them one way screws, hopefully you will not experience what I went through with these). The modern solution to this ,as that paint is not available is a wrinkle finish powder coat.  The material was less than $200, I took my panels to my local powder coat shop and they charged me $400.  As many of you know there is no way you could sandblast and paint those pieces or upholster over them as cheap as this.  Not to mention it came out perfect5EF840E2-981E-4A84-A1AB-5EAFEAE58224.jpeg.5317ce6e335d84a966e82851fb66d497.jpeg

B619E671-6B31-46D2-8681-9D3FF18D256A.jpeg

69038085-986D-42EA-BB67-EC73E7EB9589.jpeg

• Like 16

I am very excited to see so much progress the last few days. This weeks project was to recore the radiator as we need to get the radiator shell and hood on before this Thursday when the pin stripper returns to finish off the doors and hood for proper alignment of stripe.  We had a surprise with the radiator core, the new one was of poor quality, the fins were very close together, very modern looking.  So the shop owner said let’s see what the original 85 year old radiator has to offer.  This radiator has the original date code of 1936 with the GM Harrison tag.  Surprisingly    After cleaning up it was leak free and it flow tested better than the replacement core, possibly because 50 years ago I stored the radiator with soluble oil or just lucky. Here is a photo of finished product, if it fails we have the core with a spare set of tanks ready to go

7D4156EB-2510-4CAD-951C-F5E1CBECE983.jpeg

• Like 4

Ericmac, we are so close I can taste it, we left the front fenders off so that the pinstriper can stand closer to the hood and cowl.  Last month he did the back of the cab, but did not want to do doors in case there was a alignment issue with hood. He is scheduled now to come in either Monday or Tuesday and finish.  We just have to route a few wires and solder some sockets for the headlights.  Having a little routing issue with the exhaust system, but getting help from a friend in Florida that has the same model truck, thanks Patrick. Interior is nearly complete I just need to decide what ribbed rubber mat would look close to original.  I have a sales brochure that shows a drawn picture of the interior so I have a little something to go by.9E728BB1-B71B-40D6-BD8B-B3F20511F775.jpeg.aced8b1c9a4ff9184003bc760f2867a7.jpeg

AE101852-505B-4471-9043-6882791C26C2.jpeg

• Like 1

Can anyone suggest a vendor that might have bulk rubber mat material?  I found some but the ribs are real wide and as you can see from the picture above the original must have been very narrow or fine.  I have been trying very hard to put it back as original as I can. The fact that trucks during the depression were used for a much longer period of time as money was tight and the fact that when World War 2 came along these trucks had to keep going as few people could get a permit to buy a replacement. I could also mention that I do not believe that anyone ever parked these trucks in a garage from new and just sparingly used it to go dump their trash once a week like people do now with their trucks. I have looked for 50 years inside every 36 through 38 Chevy or GMC pickup either in person or magazine to see what the floor mat looks like, I have yet to find even a remnant of the mat

Really pleased with the pinstripe application, right side done left side will be finished in a hour or so.  Next week fenders , headlights , door handles and a drive around the block. Imagine I started this 2,608 weeks ago!

307FC4C5-E2F7-4E1A-928E-F690C23078B1.jpeg

• Like 6

Thank you all, Nickelroadster thanks you for the tip.  The two places that Had bulk mat were wrong, one had a pebble pattern which reminds me of my 1958 Ford custom 300 that has original interior.  The other one is from Jim Carter truck parts and it has a really wide rib pattern.

Next week we will finish truck hopefully and I will post some more pictures 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 8:05 PM, ramair said:

Really pleased with the pinstripe application, right side done left side will be finished in a hour or so.  Next week fenders , headlights , door handles and a drive around the block. Imagine I started this 2,608 weeks ago!

307FC4C5-E2F7-4E1A-928E-F690C23078B1.jpeg

That’s a great looking truck. Enjoy

• Like 1

Past week update, thought we would be out driving by now, we had some throttle linkage issues, along with some headlight conduit that was to short.  This coming week will be a short one as it is “ car week” here in Monterey county.  

593A972B-3C55-4A00-9403-43B76C5E7830.jpeg

• Like 6

Started it and drove around in a circle outside! More fun than I should be entitled to.

69FAC358-0C19-472D-BC51-157BB4F3400A.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Those Oldsmobile made flat heads run great and you’re going to love yours. I’ve had many people comment on how they can’t hear it running. I included a picture of my 32’ Olds motor to show how similar they are. Mine is also a 213 with 74 hp.

FC2D037C-0371-43D8-A758-EC9DC6A8976C.jpeg

• Like 2

Chistech, yes the Oldsmobile is very quiet and perky.  It fired off after sleeping for 65 years almost instantly. When hot it runs with 38 pounds of oil pressure.  I have a video on my phone of how quick the engine accelerates . I tried to post it without success, so I will include another photo when it was out of car

A3981683-2AE1-4BB5-9D31-AA0602C9E5CB.jpeg

• Like 2

Jack, thank you,  I live and work in  agricultural part of Monterey county Calif. there are several companies here that sell conveyor belting used on field harvesting equipment.  Years ago I found some thick belting that I needed on a early White truck that I was repairing.  I will check and see if they might be of some help.  Thank you again for the suggestion.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:32 PM, ramair said:

Chistech, yes the Oldsmobile is very quiet and perky.  It fired off after sleeping for 65 years almost instantly. When hot it runs with 38 pounds of oil pressure.  I have a video on my phone of how quick the engine accelerates . I tried to post it without success, so I will include another photo when it was out of car

A3981683-2AE1-4BB5-9D31-AA0602C9E5CB.jpeg

I know what you mean about the starting. My 32’ uses a Stromberg EC-2 carb and a Stromberg automatic choke which is set to choke and high idle when you step on the starter pedal. When you depress the starter pedal it seems like the motor makes a quarter revolution and it fires right up and runs. It’s definitely the best starting old car I’ve ever seen. The 32’ Olds engine is a fully pressurized engine including rifle drilled rods. Mine has 30psi on the nose when hot and stays there no matter the rpm. Acceleration is as you say with a quick throttle response and an quick reaction to come up on the cam. The Olds motors were factory balanced and I’m sure that helps a lot with the acceleration. 
       The only issue I have is if the car as sat for even a week, the new ethanol gas evaporates so easily that the bowl empties pretty quickly. When it’s sat for extended periods, I fill the bowl first before turning it over. Not sure if you have the same issue. The Stromberg carb accelerator pump shaft goes through a hole in the bowl cover that has a felt washer so I assume the lack of the bowl being less airtight to the atmosphere than other carbs helps with the evaporation. Your truck is beautiful and I understand the issues when looking for the hard to find items that are needed to make a restoration correct. I’ll look around my sources to see if anyone has a fine ribbed mat. It is kind of strange that they had the ribs running across the floor instead of front to back. Remember that not all artist’s renderings are actual production correct. You can use them to authenticate something on your car (depending) but you can also defer from the drawing because it’s just that, a drawing. A photograph is another story and a gray area because some manufacturers promotional photos don’t always show the vehicles in their finished, as delivered state either. 

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

Chistech,  my engine has the GMC version carb which is a Zenith model 20 with a manual choke, the other difference as far as performance is it has only a mechanical spark advance compared to the 1936 olds car version.  I have only 4 or 5 engine starts so far along with a 1000’ test drive, so unsure how it will act as far as evaporation of fuel.  I do have several antiques with the electric booster pumps and I have to say that by pushing that button for 20 seconds they not only start right away, but I think the starter and battery will last longer and perhaps less cylinder wash from constant cranking while pumping gas pedal. My plan is to take it to the concours d’Elegance at Ironstone in Murphy’s ca. In late September.  This year is the shows 25th year ,It is a well attended show that attracts around 300 cars, beautiful setting , many of the cars that you see around Pebble appear there. You will see a lot of preservation cars along with a range of nice to perfect restoration on antique vehicles of all years.  What you won’t see is modified, hot rods or restoration-rods.  The guy who helps put this event together is Chris Bock and he is the head judge at Pebble Beach. The crazy thing is they have a commercial class , oh and it cost $75 to enter your vehicle and that includes 2 adult tickets and if you want to just go and be a spectator it will cost you $25 .  Anyway after the show I plan on hiding and installing a 6 volt fuel pump with a hidden switch.

Thank you in advance for looking for the mat with the right texture.  It has been a wild goose chase trying to find someone with a remnant on their truck.  I do have a  few different brand trucks, a 1941 international KB6 and a 1961 White, we bought both new.  I will include some pictures as they both have their original mats, something to be said for living their lives in a shed.

446D4CC8-9768-4C82-849E-C4F1494F137F.jpeg

B778D51B-33D2-400A-BEDD-5A0E902F66E3.jpeg

Are people in your family really short legged? Did your feet ever hit the floor! Those mats have such little wear on them!😆 sorry, I couldn’t resist. Anyway, I believe the top picture is of your 41’ and is what is typical of the earlier years is the vertical ribs, at least on the toe board. I had a NORS floor mat for my Olds that was old and a little dry that cracked ever so little in a corner but I loved it in my car because it had separated ribbed segments that matched the two sides of the toe board and then ribbed segments on the floor board. The edges of the segments matched the door and kick panels so that mat looked like it belonged in there. The judges got me for that small crack! I couldn’t believe that because of how nice it looked otherwise and matting, as you’ve found out, is very difficult to get. I ended up installing a new generic Fisher emblem Mat made by mac blair and now they’re happy cause it’s new. Go figure. The first picture is of the NORS mat, notice the vertical ribs on the toe board section and the cross ribs on the floor board. I assume this was done so any dirt would not stay up on the toe board and the cross ribs on the floor board helped with traction forward and aft of your feet. You can also see the separate panels that match the boards and the edges of the cab. The other picture is of the generic Fisher mat that I used in the rumble seat area and then later in the front. Looking for my picture of the new mat on the floor. Though it looks new, it doesn’t look anywhere as good as the other mat in my opinion.

8F0EC85C-CE97-4404-BB5D-0274A232DC99.jpeg

F310671F-4F2B-4190-B363-AEA7325445C4.jpeg

Cristech,  yes you are right our family has not been blessed with tall people probably our Italian connection. I have a picture to share of my grandfather and one of his Buick’s .  No I don’t have that exact car , but the Garage in the background houses my 1915 Buick on occasion and my 1928 Buick .

I started thinking more about floor mats and it really must have been one of the first items to be trashed

( exception on my White and IH).  I think you came up with a plan A and plan B, personally the mat that lost some points has the look and flavor of the factory original, crack or no crack, just my humble opinion.  With that said I am still working on plan A.  How would i find the reproduction that you ended up using? 

6D3DCA75-2E61-44FB-97DD-5A904DD848AC.jpeg

• Like 1

You did a great job. I also started a project on a 1936 Desoto Airstream. I’ll send pictures later but unlike you I’m starting this project at age 70. People ask, why? I answer, why not? I was even told, “I hope you live long enough to drive that car!” I plan to. Kudos to you for sticking with it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 6:59 PM, ramair said:

Cristech,  yes you are right our family has not been blessed with tall people probably our Italian connection. I have a picture to share of my grandfather and one of his Buick’s .  No I don’t have that exact car , but the Garage in the background houses my 1915 Buick on occasion and my 1928 Buick .

I started thinking more about floor mats and it really must have been one of the first items to be trashed

( exception on my White and IH).  I think you came up with a plan A and plan B, personally the mat that lost some points has the look and flavor of the factory original, crack or no crack, just my humble opinion.  With that said I am still working on plan A.  How would i find the reproduction that you ended up using? 

6D3DCA75-2E61-44FB-97DD-5A904DD848AC.jpeg

I’m actually Italian, Portuguese, and Irish but look more Italian than anything. I’m 6’1” which is tall for an Italian and I’d be even taller if I had a neck and a regular length back. I’m long legged but short necked and back! Oh well. The Portuguese side is where my height comes in and I’ve recently found out that my ancestors were English, were royalty, then emigrated to Madeira island. My last name is Brito which translates back to what the French called the Britas, Brito’s, or Brits. When the English fled because of occupation, they went into northern France and got that moniker. Later some of my ancestors fought with William the conqueror to take back England, worked withthe royal families, then some moved to Madeira Portugal. Sorry for the long story but I think it’s pretty cool what I was able to find out. What’s crazy is I hurt my collar bone back when I was 40 and the orthopedist, when looking at my shoulder X-ray commented he had only seen an example in books and never in a living patient. When I asked him what he meant he said I have a joint in my shoulder that has since evolved out of modern man but is known to show up occasionally in people who are of very old European descent. So I guess that’s me!😄

I know you realize I was only joking with you but those floor mats are in incredible condition, especially for being in a truck. They were the first thing to go in our family trucks so my dad always got the very HD factory floor mats. Also with the name Gildo Griva, you don’t need to be tall to have a reputation!😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scuba nut said:

You did a great job. I also started a project on a 1936 Desoto Airstream. I’ll send pictures later but unlike you I’m starting this project at age 70. People ask, why? I answer, why not? I was even told, “I hope you live long enough to drive that car!” I plan to. Kudos to you for sticking with it.

Scuba nut, thank you for the compliment, actually the only reason it has moved along is the example others have set on this forum along with their help and advice.  Having a best friend that restores cars for a living is pretty important also.  I had to laugh when I read your quote “I hope you live long enough to drive that car”, I hate those backhanded compliments. 
A good response might be “I hope you live long enough to see me driving my car and my smile thinking of what I accomplished “ oh by the way I am 63 and feel that I need to pickup the pace.  I have 10 more projects I want to finish and using that last one as a example I will have to live another 500 years! I will include a picture of my next project

D7EF31A8-08CD-44FA-ACBE-CF5F44A68B52.jpeg

• Like 1

@ramairMichael, I saw your GMC at Scott's last Wednesday while delivering a car--and wound up buying a 1918 Pierce transmission!  Your truck is magnificent and I hope to see it at Ironstone the end of next month.  As I recall, you need to send in an entry by August 30.

-George the Pierce guy

Edited by Grimy
fix typo (see edit history)

5 hours ago, chistech said:

I’m actually Italian, Portuguese, and Irish but look more Italian than anything. I’m 6’1” which is tall for an Italian and I’d be even taller if I had a neck and a regular length back. I’m long legged but short necked and back! Oh well. The Portuguese side is where my height comes in and I’ve recently found out that my ancestors were English, were royalty, then emigrated to Madeira island. My last name is Brito which translates back to what the French called the Britas, Brito’s, or Brits. When the English fled because of occupation, they went into northern France and got that moniker. Later some of my ancestors fought with William the conqueror to take back England, worked withthe royal families, then some moved to Madeira Portugal. Sorry for the long story but I think it’s pretty cool what I was able to find out. What’s crazy is I hurt my collar bone back when I was 40 and the orthopedist, when looking at my shoulder X-ray commented he had only seen an example in books and never in a living patient. When I asked him what he meant he said I have a joint in my shoulder that has since evolved out of modern man but is known to show up occasionally in people who are of very old European descent. So I guess that’s me!😄

I know you realize I was only joking with you but those floor mats are in incredible condition, especially for being in a truck. They were the first thing to go in our family trucks so my dad always got the very HD factory floor mats. Also with the name Gildo Griva, you don’t need to be tall to have a reputation!😁

Cristech,  my family came from Northern Italy near Torino, Griva is not a real common name in Italy , but it goes back 4 or 5 centuries and then we lost the trail.  My grandfather use to tell a story that he thought that there were a lot of people in Greece by the name of Grivas and perhaps when Alexander the Great conquered Italy, he might have left some staff? No offense taken on how the mats in my trucks were preserved . I can tell you are proud of your ancestors as I am with mine.  I think how hard it had to be to leave your home and wave goodbye knowing that there was a good chance you would never see those family members again, I think of how many sacrifices were made by so many, of course today in our modern life, we are much better than that, we work smarter not harder, we are in a hurry so we don’t have to use manners ect. By the way my grandfathers full name was

ErmeneGildo Bautista Griva 

• Like 1

I have Italian on both sides. My paternal side came from my grandmother who was a Raymondi. My moms dad was a Govoni and I understand he was from the mountains of northern Italy I believe. I think of just a few generations back and how hard it was. Today things are so easy and everyone is so fragile. No one can suffer any hardship and they’re done. A cell phone battery goes dead, it’s the end of the world! There was nobody committing suicide because they had too much on their plate to think how bad it was. Survival of yourself and your family was all you cared about. Because live for many in civilized countries is so easy and they have little survival issues, they have no idea what it takes to be tough. Sorry, it just drives me crazy.

• Like 1

George, my truck has been accepted at Ironstone.  We will be on the Friday tour and dinner that evening  then at the show on Saturday. I really am looking forward to this show as it is one of my favorites.  I look forward to seeing you there, today’s progress picture,

1FBE0291-5C17-4C22-85E9-269CA8E66918.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ramair said:

We will be on the Friday tour and dinner that evening  then at the show on Saturday. I really am looking forward to this show as it is one of my favorites.  I look forward to seeing you there,

Likewise!  Try to keep up with my 1918 Pierce!  🙂

Michael, it is indeed a 1918 48-B-5, the first of the dual valves.  Pierce never advertised the bhp of the dual-valve ("48" was the ALAM hp, a calculation of number of cyls x bore x a constant) but did advertise that the dual valve had 40% more horsepower than the single valve with identical bore and stroke (4.5 x 5.5 for 525 cid).  I found in a PAS The Arrow magazine a reprint of some otherwise-boring notes of the PAMCC engineering committee which reported that the new dual valve engine developed 121 bhp on a dyno.  Calculating backwards from that, it appears that the previous Series 4 single-valve 48s developed about 86 bhp.  The dual valves LOVE to climb hills!

George, my limited experience driving a dual valve is similar, they do like to climb hills fast and go down the other side even faster, whether you push on the brake pedal or not, now if you are serious about slowing down you need 3 hands, one to hang on to the steering wheel, one to pull on the emergency brake and the other to shift down, all joking aside, great car, probably the most refined powerful car built before 1920 , handles well , fairly light weight for a large car with the cast aluminum body. 

Edited by ramair (see edit history)

Ericmac,  ironstone is a Concours deElagance held in Murphy’s Ca. I believe this is the 25th year. Some would argue with me if I said it was the third or fourth best car show on the west coast, so I will say it is in the top ten. First a little background Ironstone is a large family owned winery and vineyard, the owners love cars and they are passionate about raising money for future farmers of America and 4H , so they combine the two and put on this show.  Great place as the show grounds are in the vineyard and they have a huge lake and a wooded area , cars are positioned in classes throughout the lakeside property.  You can read more about it above if you look at my august 18 post and if you drop back to general discussions and look up Monterey pebble beach, on the same date of August 18 I posted more. I will see if I can post a picture or 2 of a show from the past, they even have a class for restored antique airstream trailers

6A015734-AFA3-45B1-BE25-F5732A22B211.jpeg

A91D1407-7D44-4C5D-B2EB-A05BCE6A1393.jpeg

Edited by ramair (see edit history)
  • Like 2