Jump to content

Led lights in the new garage


Recommended Posts

If you have old style screw in fixtures you can get a 200 watt equivalent LED bulb that is something like 20 watts.  It brightens things up quite a bit.

 

The best upgrade would be to the 8 footers,  I agree with that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put 40  4 ft LED lights up there is no flickering unless I run one of the ceiling fans that the blades go under a light.

My shop area is 42' X 30' X 12' with no windows, one more 4 footer above a work bench.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

I put 40  4 ft LED lights up there is no flickering unless I run one of the ceiling fans that the blades go under a light.

My shop area is 42' X 30' X 12' with no windows, one more 4 footer above a work bench.

Thats a lot of light. About the same size as my shop, I have 8 - 4 footers. Shameless plug but I got them from amazon in a bulk package of 10 I think. They were something like $15 a light buying that way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not only are they much brighter, they are instantly bright & in my case I saw a noticeable drop in my electric bill.

 

I have 40 + 8 foot double bulb fixtures in my shop & paint booth. I converted every one of them from fluorescent to LED. 48 watt 6500K with clear 

lenses. Best thing I ever did!

 

I get mine from a company the advertises on Ebay called LedKing. Very happy with their prices, safe shipping & unlike another company I bought a few from, I have not had any of them burn out. The other companies bulbs continually would lose one half of their LEDs quickly. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the other company.

 

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

 

Picture taken yesterday as this is maintenance week for the trucks & trailers before a couple of coast to coast round trips!

 

 

 

 

 

20210714_163438 (800x600).jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before I had my cataracts removed my garage, with old fluorescent shoplights, had gotten very dim. I added one new 4 foot dual strip LED lamp and was amazed at the difference. It became less of an issue with the cataracts gone but I still plan to replace everything with LED's.

DSCF8074.JPG

DSCF8076.JPG

DSCF8079.JPG

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, John348 said:

I am in the process of doing it now, what a difference! Ballast's and fluorescent lamps were getting pricy and harder and harder to find 

What about ability to do car detailing work without a couple 500W quartz lights. Any thoughts if still need them

Robert

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love my LEDs, but I had my first set fail when the temperature went below zero.  The company replaced them, but I’m careful no to try them in very low temperatures.  If you turn them on and they flicker, kill the power immediately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Commercial Electric's 16 in. Integrated LED Flush Mount Ceiling Light . I put up 9 in one garage and Three in the other garage..

 

Just make sure you buy 6 more to replace them..

 

The stuff from over sea is not great.. The Drivers go bad..

 

In six years we replaced 3 of them..

 

I put 2 in my son garage. He love them..

 

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Taylormade said:

Love my LEDs, but I had my first set fail when the temperature went below zero.  The company replaced them, but I’m careful no to try them in very low temperatures.  If you turn them on and they flicker, kill the power immediately.

 

WOW, that is the 1st time I have heard about this issue with them! My building never gets below 50 deg. but I was thinking about putting some in my upstairs storage area that is not heated & also in the 40 ft container I am bringing in (because our buildings are never big enough😄).

 

   I will have to keep an eye out for that! Thank you!

 

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Put in the LED's and paint areas of the floor white. Makes for that "Bathed in Light" look, waist deep anyway.

 

Nine 8 footers in a 26 X 40' and two more 4 footers to put up for when the overhead door is open.

 

IMG_0700.JPG.d78a9250ea34cbeb416214e0caa42719.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Changed both my garage and shop to LED in 2018/19. Garage is unheated and I live in MN. No issues with them at all so far. Replaced 5 four foot, four tube fluorescent fixtures. Good riddance to them.

 

Mark

376A0651-20BF-4F0B-9623-ABAE32B3EE92.jpeg

BD5A0175-3FF8-445B-8C86-BD7AF02793BA.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I replaced my fluorescent lights with LED.  Brighter but I think they cause more of a drastic shadow.  The light doesn’t seem to work it’s way under stuff like it used to. Make sense or am I just crazy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mark I said:

Changed both my garage and shop to LED in 2018/19. Garage is unheated and I live in MN. No issues with them at all so far. Replaced 5 four foot, four tube fluorescent fixtures. Good riddance to them.

 

Mark

376A0651-20BF-4F0B-9623-ABAE32B3EE92.jpeg

BD5A0175-3FF8-445B-8C86-BD7AF02793BA.jpeg

Impressive Beers and Buicks!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When building my last bay, I had it at 220 luminosity at six feet off the floor. A Ferrari dealership showroom is 160. Plus, I added in LED detail floodlights every three feet on top of the overhead lights. The electrical engineer asked if I was going to shoot porno in the bay, and if so it was twice as bright as a Hollywood set. The good news is I can work without drop lights.......... under the lift. It can give you a headache at full brightness, so we only turn it up to max when needed. AJ and a few others can attest to it being the best lit bay they have ever seen.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

When building my last bay, I had it at 220 luminosity at six feet off the floor. A Ferrari dealership showroom is 160. Plus, I added in LED detail floodlights every three feet on top of the overhead lights. The electrical engineer asked if I was going to shoot porno in the bay, and if so it was twice as bright as a Hollywood set. The good news is I can work without drop lights.......... under the lift. It can give you a headache at full brightness, so we only turn it up to max when needed. AJ and a few others can attest to it being the best lit bay they have ever seen.

 

And this consisted of?

 

  Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, kuhner said:

I replaced my fluorescent lights with LED.  Brighter but I think they cause more of a drastic shadow.  The light doesn’t seem to work it’s way under stuff like it used to. Make sense or am I just crazy. 

I put light dimmer switch on one  garage .. I can have bright or ???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I opted to modify my existing eight foot single fluorescent fixtures to accept LEDs. Not long afterwards one half of one of my tubes went dark. The seller replaced it and told me that an eight foot tube is actually two four foot tubes linked together and sometimes the link between them separates. The light is much improved with LEDs. Zeke

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Mark I said:

Changed both my garage and shop to LED in 2018/19. Garage is unheated and I live in MN. No issues with them at all so far. Replaced 5 four foot, four tube fluorescent fixtures. Good riddance to them.

 

Mark

376A0651-20BF-4F0B-9623-ABAE32B3EE92.jpeg

BD5A0175-3FF8-445B-8C86-BD7AF02793BA.jpeg

I am impressed at how few items on the flat surfaces were disturbed during the installation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep one 4’ LED as a trouble light. I only have two on the ceiling. Works great for under the car lighting and under hoods that don’t open as far as I would like. Easy to move around to where I need it. Old eyes need more light! 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 11:32 AM, TexRiv_63 said:

Impressive Beers and Buicks!


I do like me some beer. It’s in my blood, back to my ancestor brewers in Bavaria.

 

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I am impressed at how few items on the flat surfaces were disturbed during the installation.


Once the car was backed out, the work was mostly away from all the junk. Nothing much more than holes and anchors for clips fab’d to hold the light fixtures, same deal with the surface mount parts.

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After reading all this, I removed my 30 year old fluorescents today and replaced them with LED's.  The improvement is incredible, I think I will need to wear sunglasses in my garage!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great subject.... I have a 24x24 detached and my original fluorescents are starting to fail ( structure was built in 2008 ) They are 4' in length, so do the LED's need an adaptor to fit in the current fixture ?

 

Steve  

20210722_131033.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Great subject.... I have a 24x24 detached and my original fluorescents are starting to fail ( structure was built in 2008 ) They are 4' in length, so do the LED's need an adaptor to fit in the current fixture ?

 

Steve  

 

 

 

If you are replacing florescents you need to replace the entire fixture.   There is not a twist in LED replacement bulb.

 

There are LED bulbs for most incandescent applications.   The LED bulb requires a driver to convert the line voltage to low voltage and do some other stuff I don't understand.   With the replacement bulbs the driver is built in to the bottom of the bulb.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If you are replacing florescents you need to replace the entire fixture.

It figures.... I have 8 fixtures in the garage, well I'll just add it to my "to do" list around the house......Thanks for the info !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I converted my four foot fluorescent fixtures into LED by removing the ballast and wiring one tombstone hot and the other negative. I then installed a “plug and play” tube in and turned the switch back on. There are plenty of tutorials online.Not complicated. Zeke

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...