48 Chrysler, blinking red light in inst. cluster?

My first drive and I can't figure what the blinking red light in the upper rt, top of the inst. cluster is for.  ??

Also, white light under dash near e brake is flashing 

40 lbs. oil pressure, charging ok. Gas gauge new and working, Temp. gauge broke, but new after market gage reads higher than my infrared gauge. (260 V/S 211 degrees)

And the one thing that I NEVER expected, the signal, headlights and brake lights ALL work!😮

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Chrysler had such in 1948. 

Yet it was extra-cost option on Oldsmobiles, even Ninety Eights, until 1965. 😕

Something just smells odd about that. 🤨 Guess it's that old GM arrogance kicking in again.

2 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

My first drive and I can't figure what the blinking red light in the upper rt, top of the inst. cluster is for.  ??

Also, white light under dash near e brake is flashing 

40 lbs. oil pressure, charging ok. Gas gauge new and working, Temp. gauge broke, but new after market gage reads higher than my infrared gauge. (260 V/S 211 degrees)

And the one thing that I NEVER expected, the signal, headlights and brake lights ALL work!😮

Blinking red light might be your blinker indicator. Both left and right blinkers use the same indicator light.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Blinking red light might be your blinker indicator. Both left and right blinkers use the same indicator light.

The light still blinks when the signal lights are not flashing.

If it's your park brake warning,  should be easy to trace the cable/ mechanism to find a switch.  I would try a few on and off cycles of the park/ hand brake and see if that helps shut it off first.  If not you'll then have to trace to the switch. maybe the plunger is just stuck. 

I found the fault in the blinking red light.

It is the signal light indicator light.

The switch on the column is faulty and leaves the light blinking when the signal lights are off.

If I play with it, I can turn it off if I place it in a certain position.

The other blinking white light is the E brake light  when the brake is on.

One more problem under the bridge!   👍

• Like 2

I have had good luck with corroded old switches by drowning them in WD40 and working the heck out of them for a few minutes.

You might not even have to take it off. Just find an opening or two in the switch and have at it.

Someone on here commented that he tried this and all he did was gum up the works.

I will surmise that he must have been using one of the other WD40 products, not the one  that I am referring to.

• Like 1

I've used WD40 to clean and lube electrical switches many times. I also have CRC contact cleaner, and my prize is a spray can of radio-TV tuner cleaner and lubricant from Lafayette Radio circa 1978. That stuff will clean a switch internally. Also gets rid of radio volume control static. I use it sparingly these days...

That old electronics cleaner that Glenn described is the good stuff, with real Freon propellant and some other stuff they won't put in cans anymore! 

I've been tracing gremlins in my 49 Chrysler recently; a wrong bulb can also mess up those circuits. The left footwell light, if the same as mine, is an old-style dual-element headlight bulb (1110 as I recall). A single element bulb in there will cause a back feed when the door is opened and both lamps will blink (as I learned.) 

A lot of these parts just benefit from being used. 

• Like 1