1947 Chrysler

caddy60s

Good Afternoon

At present Ihave a 1947 Chrysler club Coupe < I am looking at buying a 1956 Dodge custom royal lancer.  I wanted to ask the opinion of members of pros & cons of this model.

I would be interested in any comments about the Powerflite Transmission.

I would appreciate your responses

Bruce

Powerflite was Chrysler's replacement for their Fluid Drive system which was their first automatic, or semi automatic trans. Powerflite was a real automatic, a 2 speed plus torque converter like Chevrolet's Powerglide, Buick's Dynaflow or Packard's Ultramatic.It was introduced on 1954 Imperial and across the board in 1955. It continued as Chrysler's basic automatic until 1961, with the 3 speed Torqueflite being offered from 1957 on.

Powerflite was a simple, reliable transmission that gave good service in everything from hemi V8 Imperials to six cylinder Plymouths. It had a couple of unusual features. One was the pushbutton control panel they used from 1956 on. This was a simple reliable mechanical system less prone to giving trouble than the electric controls used by other pushbutton transmissions. The other was the lack of a Park position, they felt this was unnecessary as Chryslers had a handbrake on the driveshaft completely separate from the service brake. Just make sure the handbrake is adjusted correctly and working the way it is meant to.

The Royal Lancer is a beautiful car, I wouldn't mind one myself, and the Powerflite would not bother me for a second.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Rusty,

Thank you very much for information. it was interesting to read about the transmission & the operation  of the push button control.  The lack of the park position ( same as the 47 Chrysler)  but what sounds like a better 

hand Brake system, great info thanks again.

Bruce