Information on a wheeler dealer

DrData

Good afternoon, all.

I have posted my MG TD for sale on several sites.  Lately, I have been contacted by "Mike" from "Harris Classic Cars".  He started by asking for some more pictures and descriptions, which I forwarded to his email. He now  states that he has a buyer interested in the car.  But, here's the deal...he will place me in touch with his buyer. The buyer and I  negotiate the deal. "Mike" collects his $1,250 fee...from me. the seller.  Keep in mind that I never initiated a conversation with this person; he reached out to me; I cannot place him on the site where the add was posted; nor, can I find any information about him on-line.  There is no contractual relationship between us.

This all smells as bad as last Friday's fish.  I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this person , his business or had any dealings with him.

Thanks

Tell him there will be no further communications until he can provide  a verifiable business address, web site and references. A state tax number might be in order also. 

My guess is he will disappear. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I suspect that he wants his "fee" early in 

the process--long before you get your money

safely in your account.  Don't do it!

It sounds as if you're too alert to fall for his ploy.

Thank you for alerting us all about this tactic;

and keep us informed if you get his full name and

contact information, or if he tries anything else.

"Love righteousness, and hate iniquity."  And be wise!

• Like 1

On the other hand, if he were willing to put you and a buyer together and the deal goes thru and you are comfortable (get enough) to pay his fee after....

Tell him he will have to trust you.

But yes, sounds fishy. 

The whole thing is a fraud without question...

Don't be surprized if the extra info and pictures you sent to crooked  fake name" Mike" from Harris( bull shxt rip off doesn't exist) fake  Classic cars and your original ad eventually show up on some other faux Classic Cars For Sale .Com web pages,for years after you have sold your car..

You know, the ones with ripped off ads  from old ebay auctions and stolen from other legit car sites you used.

These fake sites generally show no phone number to contact the seller unless it was in the original stolen text..

There is usually the"to contact the seller" flields" collecting your name,phone number,email and often address..all to be sold or added to scam lists and confirm other info about YOU!  .

The net is full of these fake ,stolen and grossly out dated car ads.

3 cars I sold over 5 to ten years ago show up in searches like they were current..

2 ads were stolen from old Ebay auction ads, complete with all photos and lenghty text.and one Craigslist ad,

also complete.

Both had phone numbers in the text  and I received calls up to 2019 about 2 of the cars listed on sites I never heard of so had no listing .

Do a Google search for a particular classic car for sale, say, "1949 Super Six Coupe" and by the time you get to about page 3 or 4 it seems to be an endless series of websites you've never heard of, the ones Flivverking described. Every time I've listed something for sale I've received texts, emails or phone calls from such characters. One guy I talked to seemed like a regular guy; in his case he was looking for $65 to list it on his site, a lot better deal if you insist on tossing some money away! I wonder, too, about certain dealers I see listed on some of the popular sites and the dealer is in Michigan or Indiana but he car is always listed as being in New Mexico or Arkansas and still in possession of the owner.