Brake light switch on a 1930 chevy truck

Ray Panosh

Trying to figure out how to get the brake light to come on when pushing the pedal. I’ve got pictures of the petal hookups under the truck. When the pedal is pushed that rod going from both sides of the frame is supposed to rotate making the arm on the left push the lever on the switch, turning on the light. It seems that the arm on the rod must not be on the rod in the right place. The arm  should move forward, rotating the rod. Is that arm in the right position? Id appreciate any help! Thanks A2F006D5-25DC-4EC8-AA20-EC72333A5755.jpeg.7ce52e34f0f55d2c5d7c90e47865f0c3.jpeg8E44974D-7FB0-4F01-81AC-91574B563B62.jpeg.5b175efad45b2bf8fc24ab00a4306ff1.jpeg8E44974D-7FB0-4F01-81AC-91574B563B62.jpeg.5b175efad45b2bf8fc24ab00a4306ff1.jpegkRay 

56B34C2A-C92A-465B-8918-B41AFEE0BD50.jpeg

The arm on the cross shaft is adjustable but yours looks like it should work but may need to be moved a little. On my 29 the pedal moves the arm back and on my 31 it moves it forward.  Maybe someone put the switch backwards. Not sure on your truck but you may be able to pull the floor board and watch the action or get a helper. I have been successful cleaning the contacts on those switches just go easy. 

Good luck

Dave

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

The arm looks like it should pull forward but when the rod coming from the brake pedal is pulled forward the arm doesn’t move only the top of the swivel moves forward. That applies the back brakes. The round rod only rotates  forward. Spring loaded. But doesn’t rotate easily. Applied grease and WD 40 that helps a little. Guess I’ll just keep playing with it. Thanks Ray 

In mine i have had to go through all of the joints and clevis pins in the system and replace with new. There was a lot of lost motion because of wear. Many others have had to remove the rivets and replace the bushings where the cross shaft rod turns. Keep lubing the cross shaft maybe you can free it up and it wont have too much play.

Dave

I’m not that familiar with the heavy chevy trucks but have a few questions. Does the brake cross shaft have levers on each end outside the frame that pulls the front brake cables? I can’t see that detail in the pictures. I haven’t seen the rear brakes set up like that before where a single rod is used and acts like a fulcrum to help rotate the cross shaft. It doesn’t seem like much leverage is applied for the front brakes. Usually the rear brakes work off the ends of the cross shaft like the front brakes, each having their own adjustable rod. Do you have a picture from a manual of the brake rod layout? You could try disengaging the front brake cables and see if the cross shaft rotates as it should while applying brake pedal pressure. You could have frozen brake cables as I’ve seen that before. The square riveted piece, the cross shaft support bearing, to the left of the brake pedal linkage arm should have a flange that’s bolted to the cross member to keep the shaft from bending when the brakes are applied. Is that piece hard mounted?I’ll look and see if I have anything in my books but something seems off at my first glance at your pictures. Did you move the arm on the switch to see if it’s operating the brake lights? I’ve seen those switches needing repairs before too.

I blew up the first picture of your post and it clearly has an adjustment feature on the lever that activates the switch.  If making an adjustment to the lever doesn't make the brake light operate and you are sure you have voltage at the switch I would first jump the terminals on the switch which should send 6 volts to the tail light.  Still no light?  Remove the bulb and test for 6 volts at the lamp socket AND a good ground for the lamp circuit.  If you can't read 6 volts at the socket look into the possibility of a bad brake light wire.  If you do get 6 volts and the light didn't light replace the bulb.  If the light did come on when you jumpered the switch the switch is the culprit, take it off, open it and clean the contacts. 

InkedChevrolet truck brake switch lever adjustment_LI.jpg