No reserve 1956 Buick 4 door Century on Hemmings

56 Buick

In case anyone is interested there is a no reserve 56 4 door Century currently listed on Hemmings auctions. 8 days or so left on auction and current bid $2000. Not a bad original looking car. I will see if I can post a photo but so far having limited success with my phone in doing so.

4 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

This one is in my neck of the woods and I will be watching it closely.  It's a little rougher than I thought initially and it is/was for sale locally for $22,000 which, given the condition, is very optimistic.  

Yes, very optimistic at that price and it certainly has some work to do but if it sells for the right price then it may be a good buy for someone.

33 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

Nice looking car in Coral and White. I have seen some cars that advertise as Coral and look to be more Pink IMO, but this may be the lighting. 

More likely the pink ones are repaints, and the owners couldn't tell the difference. Coral, Mountain Laurel, etc., is a much more subtle color.

• Like 1

On a quick look the car looked relatively original but there is a lot of tidying up work if you could call it that. The carb looked different from the portion I could see but I could be wrong. Obviously it would have had a generator and not alternator. It would be wise to do an inspection to see what is working or not. Noting there are some one year only items on the 56 that can get expensive to replace or repair (brake master cylinder immediately springs to mind). And if you start changing out everything like getting a new interior or chrome for example then the costs will quickly start rising. Also, looks like someone had the car apart at some stage but it depends what they did and how well. Overall I would think the biggest thing to look out for is rust.

If I end up bidding on the car, my intention would be to just clean it up and drive it.  I don't really have room for it, but my father had a 56 Century in Tahitian Coral and so he would get a lot of pleasure watching this one drive up.  It is missing a few things, but seems pretty solid and the engine is now reported as original, although I do agree something looks off with the carb.  I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to find a headlight switch, but likely very difficult to find a power seat motor.   

I'll see where the bidding goes, but if I can get it cheap enough, it might be worthwhile to enjoy it a bit then move it on to someone else.  

• Like 1

You might have a better pulse of the market, but with the overall condition and my general lack of storage, at just over $10,000 CAN it was more than I was willing to spend.  

The guy that bought seemed to have to have it and he will be bringing it down to the US. 

• Like 1