HELP! Circa 1910-1915 Weston Mott(?) rear axle ID and question for a friend. Use on a 1914 Buick Model 24?

That front, bolt on,  pinion bearing housing does not look like anything I have seen on a Buick. Usually just the 2 main housings and the bolt on torque tube. Internal parts might interchange but unless you have a dismantled Model 24 rear end to do a direct , part to part comparison it would be very difficult to be sure.

I have a 1915 Olds and a 1916 Oakland rear end which appear to be the same.  I would expect a 1915 Buick to look very similar.  I am pretty sure that you Buick had slightly different size housing half where this one shows pretty much the same size housing sides.  The brakes look pretty weird also.   It doesn't look like it would take a torque tube either.  I have no clue as to what year it might be.

I don't think it is Buick either. The torque tube on that era Buick had a threaded adjustment that would move the pinion in and out to adjust backlash in the gears. The ones pictured don't seem to be that way. By the way, Lou passed away over the winter. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

George,

I don't know if my Olds and my Oakland rear ends were exactly like your Buick rear end but they are alike to each other with the exception that the Oakland one has a little extension on it to allow for a driveshaft.  This extension comes right off and then a torque tube (as in my Olds) can be attached.  I am using a brake drum and one hub from the Oakland on the Olds.  I have seen Weston-Mott rear ends on smaller Buicks and they look pretty much the same.  You would really need to make sure that you had the right size axles.  Do you have a picture or any measurements from the Buick?  I could give you a picture of the Oakland rear end if you like.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:16 AM, George Albright said:

Thanks. Lou Icciano and his lovely wife were staples at the green field every year at Hershey!

He sure added to the local color here. His health was failing and his daughter liquidated his estate and moved Lou to Oregon 3 or 4 years ago. His son Nick also passed away several years ago. About 20 or 30 years ago there was a fellow making posters of characters in this hobby. Lou was in one of the posters while looking at parts at a meet along with others in a collage of photos. Marge, his wife was a sweet heart. She had to be to put up with Lou all those years. 😉

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)