Anyone have a copy of the 1932 Indy 500 program?

Gary_Ash

I'm trying to determine the "Program Number" for Studebaker car #25 in 1932.  There should be a list of cars in the 1932 Indy 500 official program showing car names, owners' names, registration number (#25 in this case), and program number (???).   The AAA Contest Board assigned the numbers and issued a small plaque to be placed on each car.  Does anyone have one of these programs and can tell me the program number?

1683264601_AAAIndytagrecreated.jpg.a8d4a48e92e778b530973bff824124f3.jpg

Simeone Car Museum in Philadelphia should have one, and a library that will respond to your needs.

I think our shop motto should be on the side of the car also........see the bottom line on my list below the post.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I will bet AACA does and in fact Ed we also respond to people's needs!!  We also have the 32 Program and it is in my hands now.  Trying to find the info Gary is looking for...peoploe, you are on the AACA site, we have 3,000,000 documents and now 5 people working in the library.  Contact us!  Back to you soon Gary.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I see that #25 was driven by Anthony Gulotta, the entrant was the Studebaker Corp. and of course the car was called the Studebaker Special.  It lists the no of cyls, bore, stroke and piston displacement but no program number.  There is a sanction number of 2700.  The interesting thing is that the entries page is duplicated.  You could contact the library at 717-534-2082 and they could send you a digital copy of the entire program for a fee.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I will bet AACA does and in fact Ed we also respond to people's needs!!  We also have the 32 Program and it is in my hands now.  Trying to find the info Gary is looking for...peoploe, you are on the AACA site, we have 3,000,000 documents and now 5 people working in the library.  Contact us!  Back to you soon Gary.  

I thought they kept the racing stuff, and the AACA got the general car stuff. I am familiar with the old library from hours of research there, but never came across racing or Indy stuff.....but my interest is so narrow if its there its understandable. I know Chris R is a great resource...........👍

Wasn't trying to sell the AACA library short.........that pink sport coat threw me off of my senses!

• Haha 1

Mr. Ed, by the way, poor TV show....we have an extensive Indy collection, pretty strong NASCAR collection and a lot of great photos plus lots of other stuff.  We expect to have a lot of other material here in the coming years...this ain't your fathers AACA Library, this is America's Automotive Library!  Come to Hershey, I can get you one of those pink coats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

I'm trying to determine the "Program Number" for Studebaker car #25 in 1932.  There should be a list of cars in the 1932 Indy 500 official program showing car names, owners' names, registration number (#25 in this case), and program number (???).   The AAA Contest Board assigned the numbers and issued a small plaque to be placed on each car.  Does anyone have one of these programs and can tell me the program number?

1683264601_AAAIndytagrecreated.jpg.a8d4a48e92e778b530973bff824124f3.jpg

Please get us readers up to speed on this question, AAA issued a plaque to EVERY car that qualified for the INDY 500?  I thought the AAA plaques were for every SEASON in several size race car classes.

DSCF9949.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Steve:  Thanks for the info. I’m thinking that the “sanction number” would have been the weight of the car.  As I recall, the Studebakers had to add ballast so that the total weight would fit with the weight/displacement rules of AAA for the 337 cu in engines. I may have to ask the Indy Museum what the “program number” was and what it meant. 

2 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Please get us readers up to speed on this question, AAA issued a plaque to EVERY car that qualified for the INDY 500?  I thought the AAA plaques were for every SEASON is several size race car classes.

You may be right. All I have is one blurry photo of the firewall of one of the Studebaker cars that raced in 1933 as car #34 that shows one of the plaques. 

In honor of our “great leader” and “grand potentate” Steve Moskowitz’s sense of humor and constant punches to the chin.............I hereby donate 100 dollars to the AACA library to make up for my poor judgment in not recommending a person look there first.........under one condition.........I don’t have to wear that Pepto-Bismol jacket that Steve was wearing. Steve, please post the address and how to make the check out below, so I can send the check in!

Below is proof that Stevie Wonder has his jacket stolen at his last gig, and somehow Steve M ended up with it.........of course,  he was innocent about how he came about it. Rumor is he is looking for some shoes to match!

3126EE1D-AC82-4838-A25F-05DF4716E681.png

• Haha 2

I remember someone reproducing a few of the early Indy 500 programs a while back. It seems like 1932 was one of them. I doubt it was Floyd Clymer. It may have been the Indy Museum.

Right around the turn of the century I acquired a few originals and remember them being devalued due to the reprints. Just a vague memory but an Ebay search or call to the museum might bring a reprint to the surface.

Thanks, CarNucopia for the posting. 

I found the rules for the 1930-36 period online and a very lengthy and interesting discussion from 2008 here:

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/66109-indianapolis-junk-formula/

The rules stated that car weight had to be at least 7.5 lbs per cubic inch displacement.  So, for a 336.7 cu in engine, the minimum weight was 2525 lbs, empty and dry.  It also meant that running the smaller 250 cu in engine only required a minimum weight of 1875 lbs, which is why the smaller engine could propel a car as fast as the larger engine, such as the Art Rose Special of 1933 with front drive.  So, my car at 2400 lbs is "fat", but I have a lot more electrical and safety equipment than the 1932 cars.

I still don't know what the "program number" was supposed to be.

Ed, our address which is plastered everywhere is 800 W. Hersheypark Drive.  Hershey, PA 17033  While I was talked into buying the coat, I can tell you that at Greenbrier the women loved it and said I looked good in it.  Let's see, should I accept the compliments of the ladies or worry about guys who where jeans and t-shirts to semi-formal affairs? 

Easy choice on my part, if I am able to provide a moment of mirth for you then it is all good especially if I can get $100 about of your wallet.  However, having my attire judged by you and  some of those folks on Facebook who never met two plaids they did not like, wouldn't be caught dead in a sport coat or never have once looked at a men's fashion magazine is quite humorous to me.  I may start snapping some pictures myself...sort of like the "Men of Walmart" if you get my drift. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Ed, our address which is plastered everywhere is 800 W. Hersheypark Drive.  Hershey, PA 17033  While I was talked into buying the coat, I can tell you that at Greenbrier the women loved it and said I looked good in it.  Let's see, should I accept the compliments of the ladies or worry about guys who where jeans and t-shirts to semi-formal affairs? 

Easy choice on my part, if I am able to provide a moment of mirth for you then it is all good especially if I can get $100 about of your wallet.  However, having my attire judged by you and  some of those folks on Facebook who never met two plaids they did not like, wouldn't be caught dead in a sport coat or never have once looked at a men's fashion magazine is quite humorous to me.  I may start snapping some pictures myself...sort of like the "Men of Walmart" if you get my drift. :) 

A number of times, I have seen owners of cars dress in colors that match their ride at the awards banquet.  I know for example, if I saw a '56 Dodge in pink & black at a show, I would no doubt associate you as the owner of it if you wore that at the awards banquet.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

That jacket reminds me of "The Florida Man!" Check is on the way.........

Glad I could help. I respect and understand the tenacity and gumption it takes to go from concept to reality. We are not breaking new ground but it’s important to do a correct job to honor the men who did create these wonderful objects. Nice job on your car. Best as always, George.

On 7/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, edinmass said:

Rumor is he is looking for some shoes to match!

Wing tips!

Men forget how good we look in pink and the more butch you are the better.

Or are to afraid to wear pink .

The only thing a guy can't pull off is a pink leather jacket...LOL

Rare to even see a gay guy wear a pink leather, police, biker or racing jacket...that is in public..😜

So says my nephew's ,husband.😅

On 7/13/2021 at 6:02 PM, edinmass said:

3126EE1D-AC82-4838-A25F-05DF4716E681.png

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)

When I asked Steve if he was wearing his rainbow 🌈 colored thong underwear he said no! He was going commando! 🤭

Please do not delete......I sent the check in for 100 dollars as promised! 🤑

You guys must have a very boring life to be obsessed with my sport coat!  Actually, I tried NOT to buy it but Rachel threatened me with my life if I did not.  Feeling that I have a least a couple good years left I took the cowards way out and bought it.  Very interesting that the guy taking the picture and trying to make fun of me now owns a new sport coat.  Guess the color?  

I also can tell you at the reception I attended wearing that coat it was a big hit with the women.  So, should I please a bunch of old farts or the women.  That one is easy for me! :)  

Oh and Ed, you are quickly working on your next $100!  This is going to get expensive for you...  :) 

• Haha 2

As if it really matters, I like the jacket. But, I do think a kilt might be a good choice. Are there any Scottish ancestors?

Terry

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Bob!  I've seen photos of that car before, but not in as much detail.  I got my dash plaque engraved, sent a copy of the 1933 plaque to the owner of a Shafer 8 Special in Switzerland.

16 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

Thanks, Bob!  I've seen photos of that car before, but not in as much detail.  I got my dash plaque engraved, sent a copy of the 1933 plaque to the owner of a Shafer 8 Special in Switzerland.

That is great! I sold two tires to Bill Harrah when he had the Schafer 8. Got to work on the car at Lime Rock when it lived in Massachusetts, it still holds VSCCA records I believe. Bob