newly restored 39 Buick with overheating problem

Hi guys,

I've been involved in two 39 Buick Special restorations and one car runs at normal operating temperature and the other boils over constantly. In the cool running car the bypass valve was removed and replaced by a washer in the thermostat housing. The hot running car still has the bypass valve in the thermostat housing. I remember a thread where the thermostat housing bypass valve was  replaced by a washer. Could anyone give me the thread to this topic?  

Thanks

Leif

Hello Leif,

The problem is, most likely, that the bypass valve is allowing coolant to recirculate through the engine instead of allowing it to circulate into the radiator.  Here's a link to an article I've passed out to many, many straight-8 owners to address this problem.  Incidentally, there is no washer involved.  Only a freeze plug with a hole in it. 

This link will take you to the article and related images: http://2experts.org/Vehicles/Buick/Coolant_Bypass/

• Like 4